The cost of school trips

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Single mother is asked to pay £1850 for school trip to South Africa | Daily Mail Online

A mother has hit out at her child’s school after being told it will cost almost £2,000 to send her on a trip to South Africa.

Louise Worrell, 32, said she is unable to afford the £1,850 fee quoted by Woodcote High School and will have to let her excited 13-year-old daughter Nevaeh down by telling her she can’t go to Cape Town.

It comes as research by union the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers shows parents are coming under more pressure from staff to splash out on school trips to exotic locations.

And single mother Ms Worrell, of Croydon, south London, branded the school’s plan for next Easter ‘ridiculous’.

Do you have these expensive trips in the US ?

When I was 15 my Mam paid for me to go skiing in Italy and it was an amazing week. But that cost £100 and all the family chipped in.

We paid £1k to send the daughter to the US a few years ago and she loved it. But it was at a time when we were both working and could afford it.

Is it fair to kids from poor families who have to miss out ? It doesnt encourage any sort of fellowship.

Couldnt they go somewhere a bit cheaper where the whole class could take part ?

Single mother is asked to pay £1850 for school trip to South Africa | Daily Mail Online

A mother has hit out at her child’s school after being told it will cost almost £2,000 to send her on a trip to South Africa.

Louise Worrell, 32, said she is unable to afford the £1,850 fee quoted by Woodcote High School and will have to let her excited 13-year-old daughter Nevaeh down by telling her she can’t go to Cape Town.

It comes as research by union the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers shows parents are coming under more pressure from staff to splash out on school trips to exotic locations.

And single mother Ms Worrell, of Croydon, south London, branded the school’s plan for next Easter ‘ridiculous’.

When I was 15 my Mam paid for me to go skiing in Italy and it was an amazing week. But that cost £100 and all the family chipped in.

We paid £1k to send the daughter to the US a few years ago and she loved it. But it was at a time when we were both working and could afford it.

Is it fair to kids from poor families who have to miss out ? It doesnt encourage any sort of fellowship.

Our schools can't even afford field trips to the zoo because the insurance and buses are too expensive. Parents declare it's a "free education" so they don't even pay for pencils and paper.

Our schools can't even afford field trips to the zoo because the insurance and buses are too expensive. Parents declare it's a "free education" so they don't even pay for pencils and paper.
And you keep voting for the people who make it that way. Serves you right.

And you keep voting for the people who make it that way. Serves you right.
Really? Prove that anyone I voted for made it that way. Ready? Go.

Well Tommy, if a person REALLY wants to travel and is willing to work for it, there is always joining the Navy. I did that when I was 18, and by the time I retired, I had been to 26 different countries, and 49 different states, only missing Alaska.

Ive seen American kids in several European cities. How does that happen ?

I'm not sure about details, but my brother, a middle school teacher, has taken his students on such jaunts around Europe for years. He loves the travel, the kids love the travel, but I don't know who pays for it all.

If I remember correctly my high school class trip went to Washington DC. I didn't bother and had already been there anyway.

My little brother on the other hand got to go to Moscow. Lucky BASTID.

Well Tommy, if a person REALLY wants to travel and is willing to work for it, there is always joining the Navy. I did that when I was 18, and by the time I retired, I had been to 26 different countries, and 49 different states, only missing Alaska.
Jolly good. What about when you were 15 ?

Most times, it's because the family has money that they are able to spend. And, there are a lot of people here in America who believe that traveling abroad is good for a person, because it exposes them to other cultures and makes them a well rounded person.

Lock 'em up!!

Jolly good. What about when you were 15 ?

At 15 I was in foster care and didn't have the chance to travel. When I ran away to live with my Grandparents my senior year of HS, they didn't have enough money to even send me to college, which is why I joined the Navy. Was only gonna stay for a single hitch, but they told me it would be stupid to not take my shore duty where life was easier, so I did. Then, my Senior Chief managed to get me orders to an FA-18 outfit (VFA-131 Wildcats), and because I was nuts about aircraft, I took them. Then, by the end of that tour, I was just over the halfway point for retirement, so I decided to stick it out.

Best decision I ever made.

Those trips are paid for by fundraisers, almost never paid for by the schools. Our budgets are razor thin and the teachers underpaid.

Most times, it's because the family has money that they are able to spend. And, there are a lot of people here in America who believe that traveling abroad is good for a person, because it exposes them to other cultures and makes them a well rounded person.
That was my Mams view as well. It is 100% correct.

Those trips are paid for by fundraisers, almost never paid for by the schools. Our budgets are razor thin and the teachers underpaid.
So its sponsors who pay for it. Thats great for those kids.

Well not exactly. Fundraisers are things like car washes, bake sales, street fairs with donated goods etc. Also parents usually make up the difference. We sent our youngest son to Germany with his German class and it cost over 2 thousand. We paid half and the other half was covered by fundraisers.

Well not exactly. Fundraisers are things like car washes, bake sales, street fairs with donated goods etc. Also parents usually make up the difference. We sent our youngest son to Germany with his German class and it cost over 2 thousand. We paid half and the other half was covered by fundraisers.
That sounds quite civilised. In the Uk there is no support,you are just given a payment schedule.

That sounds quite civilised. In the Uk there is no support,you are just given a payment schedule.
FYI The German trip I mentioned was part of an exchange where German students came to our city and stayed with host families and our kids stayed with their host families in Germany. It was a great experience, we hosted two German girls who were the nicest kids. Apparently the German students were sponsored, it was virtually a free trip for them. I'm not sure if that's typical of German schools or if it was a special situation.

FYI The German trip I mentioned was part of an exchange where German students came to our city and stayed with host families and our kids stayed with their host families in Germany. It was a great experience, we hosted two German girls who were the nicest kids. Apparently the German students were sponsored, it was virtually a free trip for them. I'm not sure if that's typical of German schools or if it was a special situation.
When I went to school we had an exchange programme and a french lad came to our school . He was really good looking and all the girls loved him. Unfortunately he got the shit kicked out of him at every break time and me and a few others had to escort him back to his host house after school. He was a nice lad despite his frenchness. What he thought about Wales I can only guess.

Forum List

Back