The cost of "reasonable" regulations

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
It seems that opponents of government regulation are again complaining about the overreach of government in regulating businesses. the strange thing is that the people who are complaining are many of the same people who normally support government regulations.

According to a sympathetic piece in The Washington Post, Codding has "tried for months" to "scrape together" enough money for a "costly renovation" of her Falls Church abortion clinic — and she is still short by nearly $1 million. Wherever shall the money come from? Gail France is frustrated as well. "I don't understand or begin to see how this serves any purpose," gripes the owner of another abortion clinic in Northern Virginia. Like Codding, Frances resents new regulations the state has imposed on her business that govern everything from hallway widths to parking spaces. So does a coalition of women's advocates, which blasted Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli "and their right-wing partners" — all of whom will "stop at nothing in their crusade to take away the rights of Virginia women."

Abortion debate skewers political pieties | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Personally, I agree with them, regulations that require hallways be wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs, and those that require a business to supply adequate parking, are ridiculous. Yet the same people that think it is perfectly reasonable to demand that small store have handicap access object to the same requirements for abortion clinics because it infringes on a woman's right to choose. They argue this even though the regulations don't directly impact the women who are seeking abortions.

The cost of regulations is out of hand in this country, and if it takes them being indiscriminately applied to the sacred cows of the left to drive this point home I think the cost is well worth it.

It seems that opponents of government regulation are again complaining about the overreach of government in regulating businesses. the strange thing is that the people who are complaining are many of the same people who normally support government regulations.

According to a sympathetic piece in The Washington Post, Codding has "tried for months" to "scrape together" enough money for a "costly renovation" of her Falls Church abortion clinic — and she is still short by nearly $1 million. Wherever shall the money come from? Gail France is frustrated as well. "I don't understand or begin to see how this serves any purpose," gripes the owner of another abortion clinic in Northern Virginia. Like Codding, Frances resents new regulations the state has imposed on her business that govern everything from hallway widths to parking spaces. So does a coalition of women's advocates, which blasted Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli "and their right-wing partners" — all of whom will "stop at nothing in their crusade to take away the rights of Virginia women."

Personally, I agree with them, regulations that require hallways be wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs, and those that require a business to supply adequate parking, are ridiculous. Yet the same people that think it is perfectly reasonable to demand that small store have handicap access object to the same requirements for abortion clinics because it infringes on a woman's right to choose. They argue this even though the regulations don't directly impact the women who are seeking abortions.

The cost of regulations is out of hand in this country, and if it takes them being indiscriminately applied to the sacred cows of the left to drive this point home I think the cost is well worth it.

While I do get a chuckle out of "whats good for the goose, is good for the gander" I still find using regulations as an excuse to create a soft ban against something you do not like rather childish and dishonest.

What I am wondering is how the clinic was able to operate while not meeting certain building codes in the first place. Are these new rules, or were they on the books and just not enforced. The latter situation is more common than you think. Where I work we suddenly had to meet certain truck weights for dump trucks going over the GW bridge right after that Bridge collapse in Minneapolis. Basically they started enforcing a weight limit they had ignored for 20 years, and we had to get daily variances to allow the trucks across at normal weight.

I agree.

We cannot demand regulations apply to one business and not another simply because of the type of service it provides.

You cant compare abortion regualtions with most other regulations. For states that want to ban abortion, providers are riddled with red tape nonsense regulations to deter medical facilities from offering abortion services.

Actually you can.

Technically, its a service industry. So it can and should be held to the same rules and regulations as other service industry providers, including handicap access.

N
You cant compare abortion regualtions with most other regulations. For states that want to ban abortion, providers are riddled with red tape nonsense regulations to deter medical facilities from offering abortion services.

Actually you can.

Technically, its a service industry. So it can and should be held to the same rules and regulations as other service industry providers, including handicap access.

I agree, however in many states the regulations on abortion providers can't be found for any other service, and are specifically in place to deter people from offering that service.

Mississippi Governor touted his new red tape laws stating " they should effectively end abortion in Mississippi."

While I do get a chuckle out of "whats good for the goose, is good for the gander" I still find using regulations as an excuse to create a soft ban against something you do not like rather childish and dishonest.

What I am wondering is how the clinic was able to operate while not meeting certain building codes in the first place. Are these new rules, or were they on the books and just not enforced. The latter situation is more common than you think. Where I work we suddenly had to meet certain truck weights for dump trucks going over the GW bridge right after that Bridge collapse in Minneapolis. Basically they started enforcing a weight limit they had ignored for 20 years, and we had to get daily variances to allow the trucks across at normal weight.

Don't get me wrong, I hate regulations. However, if businesses that sell clothes have to comply with federal and state ADA requirements, businesses that sell abortions have to comply with them also. Anything less than total compliance or total elimination of these requirements is unacceptable.

Hallway widths and parking access are a combination of safety issues for occupants and a barrier free zone for the handicapped. If there is a fire in a building and the hallway is undersized, someone could possibly die if they're not able to exit the building quick enough.

Building codes and ordinances are usually created after a tragic event. Earthquakes cause changes in the structural codes; fires cause changes in the fire code. And all codes are the absolute minimum required to ensure public safety.

This is not an "abortion" regulation. It's a universal regulation on business that at least SOME abortion proponents don't want to have applied to them.

This is not an "abortion" regulation. It's a universal regulation on business that at least SOME abortion proponents don't want to have applied to them.

Thats weird, because when I looked up the origional story it specifically says that these regulations are for abortion clinics only.

Im not arguing against any specific regulation. I simply find it odd that a host of new "needed" regulations come down that are for abortion clinics only, that has the effect of either closing down or moving a large portion of the providers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate regulations. However, if businesses that sell clothes have to comply with federal and state ADA requirements, businesses that sell abortions have to comply with them also. Anything less than total compliance or total elimination of these requirements is unacceptable.

I am in favor of regulations that make sense. Building codes in New York City should be more strict than in Bighamnton, NY, as the density requires certain rules that are above and beyond whan is required in a smaller town.

What I see with some of these abortion clinic regulations, however, is a backdoor attempt to ban it de facto, as opposed to de jure. If they start requiring regulations above and beyond that of normal medical clinics, then they are doing politics via regulation, which, to me, is kind of backhaneded.

Let me be up front, I have no real position in the abortion debate. I do however see Roe V. Wade as horrible case law. The constitution does not prohibit abortion laws, or does it allow them. I think it should be up to the states, or the congress, or the people via amendment to figure out if abortion should be allowed, not via court fiat.

What I see, however

Thats weird, because when I looked up the origional story it specifically says that these regulations are for abortion clinics only.

Im not arguing against any specific regulation. I simply find it odd that a host of new "needed" regulations come down that are for abortion clinics only, that has the effect of either closing down or moving a large portion of the providers.

These regulations are safety and handicap accessibility standards and frankly, I'm astounded that abortion clinics have somehow been exempt up to now.

That's weird, because when I looked the actual law up it requires all clinics that perform outpatient surgery to meet the same standards as hospitals. The fact that all clinics that do not provide abortions already meet these standards does make it seem, on the surface, to be targeting abortion clinics, but I see no reason why they should be excluded from those standards.

Do you?

N

Actually you can.

I agree, however in many states the regulations on abortion providers can't be found for any other service, and are specifically in place to deter people from offering that service.

Mississippi Governor touted his new red tape laws stating " they should effectively end abortion in Mississippi."

If the regulation does not apply to anyone else and its done specifically to prevent women from having access to abortion services, then, as the law now stands, thats a Constitutional violation and can be challenged through the court system.

Forum List

Back