The Cost of Marijuana Prohibition:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
"Arresting hundreds of thousands of Americans who smoke marijuana responsibly needlessly destroys the lives of otherwise law abiding citizens," St. Pierre said, adding that nearly 9 million Americans have been arrested on marijuana charges in the past ten years. During this same time, arrests for cocaine and heroin have declined sharply, implying that increased enforcement of marijuana laws is being achieved at the expense of enforcing laws against the possession and trafficking of more dangerous drugs.In fact, October 10, 2008 will mark the arrest of the 20 millionth cannabis consumer arrested under cannabis prohibition, circa 1937.

St. Pierre concluded: "Enforcing marijuana prohibition costs taxpayers between $10 billion and $12 billion annually and has led to the arrest of nearly 20 million Americans. Nevertheless, nearly 100 million Americans acknowledge having used marijuana during their lives. It makes no sense to continue to treat nearly half of all Americans as criminals for their use of a substance that poses far fewer health risks than alcohol or tobacco. A better and more sensible solution would be to tax and regulate cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol and tobacco."

Go here to read the full article: http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7698

Last edited:
You do realize of course that when and if weed is legalized, state and federal governments are gonna' tax the shit out of it?

Your cheap little high will become unbearably expensive so you'll switch to a different illegal drug... and cycle will never end.

If you dopers were smart, and I'm not saying you are but if you were smart you would claim that smoking dope is a "civil liberty" and that government should leave you alone.

But stupidly, you demand that government legalize it so they can control it which will only end up with them fucking it all up.

Some people never learn.

You do realize of course that when and if weed is legalized, state and federal governments are gonna' tax the shit out of it?

Your cheap little high will become unbearably expensive so you'll switch to a different illegal drug... and cycle will never end.

If you dopers were smart, and I'm not saying you are but if you were smart you would claim that smoking dope is a "civil liberty" and that government should leave you alone.

But stupidly, you demand that government legalize it so they can control it which will only end up with them fucking it all up.

Some people never learn.

^^ He's right you know, this happened in... uh... this happened... err... Oh wait, there's no evidence of this ever happening. Ever.

Some people never learn.

^^ He's right you know, this happened in... uh... this happened... err... Oh wait, there's no evidence of this ever happening. Ever.

Except for when prohibition was repealed and everyone started using opium to avoid taxes- and just look at how many smokers turn to crystal meth every time taxes on cigarettes go up!

none!

wait..

Some people never learn.
I think it should be legal to possess but illegal to sell...and legal to grow.

That would be a huge burden off the taxpayer...or the money could be spent elsewhere

Some people never learn.

Actually, that is EXACTLY how it happened in the case of Marijuana.

When they originally decided to declare war on this weed, understanding that they did NOT have the constitutional right to outlaw it entirely, they set about the business of ending its use by IMPOSING TAXES ON IT.

The game went like this.

Marijuna was legal if you purchased a MARIJUANA STAMP.

But no STAMPS were issued.

Ergo?

Untaxed marijuana cultivation and sales or purchase became a FEDERAL tax crime punishable by fine, incarceration, or both.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.
Exerpt from Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Some people never learn.

When they originally decided to declare war on this weed, understanding that they did NOT have the constitutional right to outlaw it entirely, they set about the business of ending its use by IMPOSING TAXES ON IT.

The game went like this.

Ergo?

Untaxed marijuana cultivation and sales or purchase became a FEDERAL tax crime punishable by fine, incarceration, or both.

Well, but what you're saying is the opposite of what he's saying. Yeah, they're both 'taxes', but it is one thing to tax it because its legal and another is to "tax" is to effectively make it illegal.

Love Catch 22, though. Great book, been meaning to read it again! :clap2:

The game went like this.

Ergo?

Well, but what you're saying is the opposite of what he's saying. Yeah, they're both 'taxes', but it is one thing to tax it because its legal and another is to "tax" is to effectively make it illegal.

Love Catch 22, though. Great book, been meaning to read it again! :clap2:

Did I misinterpret his meaning?

My apologies.

Catch 22 is a brilliant exposé of human foibles taken to the extremes both collectively -- by government (in that case the military) and private enterprize (in the form of "the Syndicate" and Milo Minderbinder) -- and by people simply driven mad by the Kafkian nightmare of the modern world.

Although I haven't done a study of it, I SUSPECT that each character is probably a fictional manifestation of some philosophical approach to dealing with the world gone mad.

Yossarian is the quintessential modern man.

He has no faith or philosophy to protect him from the outcome of being SANE in a world gone INSANE.

They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.

"No ... one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.

"Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.

"They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."

"And what difference does that make?"

Last edited:

Yes.

Right. Because us little people have been priced out of drinking alcohol.

I agree that would be ideal. Too bad it's an unrealistic goal.

Some people never learn.

Thanks for the "advice" but I will continue to fight for legalizing and regulating. A fight that can be won in the real world.

Some people never learn.

The game went like this.

Ergo?

A =/= B

:eusa_eh:

Some people never learn.

Isn't it proven black market prices are usually higher?

It is costing our legal system too much money.
My friend got caught with a bowl, about $5 worth of pot. He recieved a public defender, had to go to court, and it was dropped. Think of the money that was wasted? If he had been convicted, think of the money wasted on sending him to drug classes, and putting him on probation?
I just laugh when I think of all the money that is wasted on charging someone with a dub sack.

I fail to understand why it is so bad to simply legalize and regulate marijuana. We have legal drugs that are worse than marijuana right now and proabition(sp?) has proven that making substances illegal is a pointless and fruitless endeavor. It does not work and has never worked before. Personally, I think almost all drugs should be legalized and controlled. Taxes should then be levied that are used SOLELY to deal with the problems associated with said drugs such as cheap and/or free rehabilitation clinics and advertising campaigns. Cigarettes are fast becoming a thing of the past not because they are illegal but because they are legal, regulated and openly attacked. Driving things into the black market causes them to be uncontrollable by the very nature of black markets. I have watched people smoke banana peels, tea bags and all other manner of things to get high. The fact is if you want to get high the government can't stop you and should not bother trying. The amount of money that is spent perusing these crimes is a true waste of resources not to mention the number of people that can and will be productive that are sitting in jail spending my tax dollars instead.

I believe that there is no viable argument for the continued criminalization of marijuana.

These laws have NOTHING WHATEVER to do with public safety and are motivated by various issues having nothing whatever to do with protecting the public.

Mostly the war on marijuna is a manifestation of the SOCIAL CIVIL WAR that this nation has had for just about forever.

Trying to have a civil discussion about it, one based on science and sociology, is damned near impossible.

This issue is mostly another battle between the control freak V the libertarian philosophies that have always driven this and every other society.

The marijuna issue is an example of control for control's sake.

Last edited:
I believe that there is no viable argument for the continued criminalization of marijuana.

These laws have NOTHING WHATEVER to do with public safety and are motivated by various issues having nothing whatever to do with protecting the public.

Mostly the war on marijuna is a manifestation of the SOCIAL CIVIL WAR that this nation has had for just about forever.

Trying to have a civil discussion about it, one based on science and sociology, is damned near impossible.

This issue is mostly another battle between the control freak V the libertarian philosophies that have always driven this and every other society.

Poopyhead!

Poopyhead!

MR. Poppyhead to you

Poopyhead!

MR. Poppyhead to you

:lol:

So sorry.

Forum List

Back