The Cost Of Free College Education In The U.S.

If only you could prove it wasn't.

While these goals are the right ones, the reality is that free public college would make it harder to achieve them. Part of the concern relates to how best to use government funds. The idea would cost $70 billion per year, more than twice what the federal government spends on Pell grants. And much of that money would provide a free education to students whose families can already afford it.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowl...anders-free-public-college-plan-is-a-bad-idea

Most of the approximately
243 million adults in the United States, as of 2013, pay some type of federal taxes. About 122 million Americans pay federal income tax. All U.S. workers pay payroll taxes, which are levied at a flat rate and capped.

How many U.S. taxpayers are there?

$70 billion divided by 243 million is $288.

$0.63 a week is only $32.76.

Your huge error is proof that free education would be wasted on you.

I entered into my browser, "How much would free college education cost the average American taxpayer." One of the websites that came up, as you probably know, was one called, "The next time someone tells you we can't afford free college, show......" I will include a small portion of the text. $33.00 dollars a year comes out to about $0.65 a week.
View attachment 107206

$8 billion a year is where you went wrong..........

I didn't invent the numbers. I just looked them up on the internet.

Yes, you regurgitated the wrong numbers.
Good job!

Go to the website I quoted and read it for yourself.

While these goals are the right ones, the reality is that free public college would make it harder to achieve them. Part of the concern relates to how best to use government funds. The idea would cost $70 billion per year, more than twice what the federal government spends on Pell grants. And much of that money would provide a free education to students whose families can already afford it.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowl...anders-free-public-college-plan-is-a-bad-idea

Most of the approximately
243 million adults in the United States, as of 2013, pay some type of federal taxes. About 122 million Americans pay federal income tax. All U.S. workers pay payroll taxes, which are levied at a flat rate and capped.

How many U.S. taxpayers are there?

$70 billion divided by 243 million is $288.

$0.63 a week is only $32.76.

Your huge error is proof that free education would be wasted on you.

I entered into my browser, "How much would free college education cost the average American taxpayer." One of the websites that came up, as you probably know, was one called, "The next time someone tells you we can't afford free college, show......" I will include a small portion of the text. $33.00 dollars a year comes out to about $0.65 a week.
View attachment 107206

$8 billion a year is where you went wrong..........

I didn't invent the numbers. I just looked them up on the internet.

Yes, you regurgitated the wrong numbers.
Good job!

Go to the website I quoted and read it for yourself.

Post the link.

Free,freee,freeeee.
If you want college education then f-ing get a job and pay for it.
How do y'all think it's my responsibility to pay for your education so you can make the big bucks. Sorry ain't going to happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people would call people like you a filthy stinking traitor. And that would probably be a compliment to you. No doubt you think that it is far better (and cheaper) it give thousands and thousands of visas to "skilled" foreign workers. So they can make the "big bucks." You disgust me worse than seeing a dog lap up stringy vomit. As to your "Tapatalk" thing, stop trying to impress people with your supposed 'superiority."

Questions for those who advocate "free" college education:

(1) Who qualifies? Do you have to demonstrate that you are capable of doing COLLEGE work? College is intended to educate tomorrow's leaders, so should be limited to people who are capable of being leaders, not just average shmo's who don't feel like getting a job out of high school.

(2) What about people who could benefit from technical or trade education, but have no interest or aptitude for schoolwork? Is their schooling also free?

(3) What about worthless college majors? Should taxpayers have to pay tuition for someone studying philosophy or - worse yet - "Ethnic Studies"? (or ANYTHING with the word, "Studies" in its description).

(4) Will the spigot be turned off for people who FAIL academically? Or must we pay for "career students"? What about people who change majors every year, so would take 8 years to graduate? Do we have to pay for them forever?

(5) What about the Tenth Amendment? Congress is prohibited from paying for anything that is not listed in Article I, Section 8. Education ain't in there.

(6) Where does the money come from? Surely, a program this large cannot paid with Government's spare change. There would have to be a new, separate revenue stream to pay for this boondoggle.

(7) Does "Free College" include books, room & board, transportation, and living expenses? What good is "free college" if the nearest college is three hours from my home?

(8) Is there an age limit? If I'm retired and decide I want to pursue a bachelor's degree (or a Masters), can I get this free college thing? You can't discriminate against me just because I'm old.

There are many countries that have free college education. All of them probably go about it in slightly different ways. All the U.S. has to do is pick out any combination of ways in which those other countries do it. Going about it in that way, if our leaders have half a brain, they could probably come up with a superior way of doing it.

Consider this moron. What if those college professors got everything they needed for free. What kind of salary would they need to survive on then.
So to be clear...you're still too stupid to comprehend that there literally is no such thing as "free" even after all of the lessons I provided to you? Who would pay for the college professors food, housing, insurance, etc. so that it was "free" for them?

See...you are the immature, idealistic, bat-shit crazy loony-tunes who claim to "care". Well, put your money where your very large mouths (and very small brains) are.

And yet you didn't even add a link to the results you claim to have found. In addition, you're now admitting you did no real research into this issue - but instead did one quick Google search and believed the first thing you found on the internet which supported the conclusion you had already formed. :eusa_doh:

Oh. So now you feel the need to tell me how much I looked around. How sad.
No. You told us....stupid. :lol:

Some people would call people like you a filthy stinking traitor. And that would probably be a compliment to you. No doubt you think that it is far better (and cheaper) it give thousands and thousands of visas to "skilled" foreign workers. So they can make the "big bucks." You disgust me worse than seeing a dog lap up stringy vomit. As to your "Tapatalk" thing, stop trying to impress people with your supposed 'superiority."
So now the left-wing lunatic who hates capitalism is advocating for the exact "corporate welfare" that his side of the aisle claims to hate and reject.

Dude...why should society pay to train employees for Microsoft, Cisco, Apple, etc.? If Microsoft needs a certain skill set, let them pay to train the people they hire. It's certainly not my job to pay for people to develop the skill sets Microsoft is looking for.

You're literally so stupid - you can't figure out which way is up. You keep contradicting yourself.

How much would it cost to have free college for college students in the U.S.? For each tax payer, it would cost them about $0.63 cents a week! So for those morons who are opposed to having college be free in the U.S. like it is in many other countries, SUCK IT!
Education is already free in the U.S. It is 100%, completely, totally, free.
  • Every county (and damn near every city/municipality) in the U.S. is filled with books, computers, and internet access provided completely "free" to residents. Any child can study anything. Literally anything. Science. Technology. Finance. Medicine. All free.
  • Almost every business in America provides tuition reimbursement for their employees. Even entry level employees. So one can get a part-time, minimum wage entry level position with McDonald's and get their entire college education paid in full.

65 cents is about right. (does saying it that way make you feel better?) Also, that reflects what each taxpayer would need to spend. There are far fewer college students than there are taxpayers.
And you're too dimwitted to realize that that will change immediately as soon as it is "free". Do you have any idea how many kids who have no desire to go to college but don't want to start working in the real world and would just like to party will suddenly be going to college once it is "free". You really are a special kind of stupid, aren't you? You can't think beyond the tip of your nose. Seriously - stop positing. You're going to hurt yourself. You're mind can't handle rational thought or critical thinking. Just find a nice at a cash register our a toll booth and let the machines calculate the change for you.

You don't know the meaning, since you can't look it up on your computer...

Look at post #38.
Where is you link to back up your quote? If you don't use one your are plagiarizing and are violating TOS....

Plagiarizing? I never claimed to own in any way what i showed. And why did they have it on the internet to begin with? For people to read. For the small portion I copied, I fulfilled their intent.
You plagiarized, nitwit. You didn't cite a source for credit. You posted as your own information.

Wrong, nitwit. In post #38 where I posted what I had printed, I told both how I found the website and what the website was called that I copied and posted the excerpt from.
If you don't post a link to the site or at least credit the author along with the proper info (page number, section, etc.) you have plagiarized.

Clearly you are still in junior high. Once you reach high school, they will teach you that you cannot cite your sources in the back of the book as "dear readers - click on Google and then type XYZ" for an official "citation".

Questions for those who advocate "free" college education:

(1) Who qualifies? Do you have to demonstrate that you are capable of doing COLLEGE work? College is intended to educate tomorrow's leaders, so should be limited to people who are capable of being leaders, not just average shmo's who don't feel like getting a job out of high school.

(2) What about people who could benefit from technical or trade education, but have no interest or aptitude for schoolwork? Is their schooling also free?

(3) What about worthless college majors? Should taxpayers have to pay tuition for someone studying philosophy or - worse yet - "Ethnic Studies"? (or ANYTHING with the word, "Studies" in its description).

(4) Will the spigot be turned off for people who FAIL academically? Or must we pay for "career students"? What about people who change majors every year, so would take 8 years to graduate? Do we have to pay for them forever?

(5) What about the Tenth Amendment? Congress is prohibited from paying for anything that is not listed in Article I, Section 8. Education ain't in there.

(6) Where does the money come from? Surely, a program this large cannot paid with Government's spare change. There would have to be a new, separate revenue stream to pay for this boondoggle.

(7) Does "Free College" include books, room & board, transportation, and living expenses? What good is "free college" if the nearest college is three hours from my home?

(8) Is there an age limit? If I'm retired and decide I want to pursue a bachelor's degree (or a Masters), can I get this free college thing? You can't discriminate against me just because I'm old.

There are many countries that have free college education. All of them probably go about it in slightly different ways. All the U.S. has to do is pick out any combination of ways in which those other countries do it. Going about it in that way, if our leaders have half a brain, they could probably come up with a superior way of doing it.
They have, it's called a GI Bill..Try it..

I feel the investment will be well worth it!
Yes...but you've already proven yourself to be a moron. However, being that we are a free market economy - you have unlimited opportunities to prove whether or not it is. Open up your checkbook and start writing checks for inner city, less fortunate students.

Put your money where your mouth is. Stop being so selfish and greedy.

Forum List

Back