The Convention Lineup

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
At long last:

Boston, MA – Mitt Romney today announced Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan as his Vice Presidential running mate. Below is Congressman Ryan’s biography:

iPhone App: Romney Selects Paul Ryan
7:04 AM, Aug 11, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER

iPhone App: Romney Selects Paul Ryan | The Weekly Standard

Isn’t it odd that on the day Romney announced his VP the lineup for the Republican National Convention is announced?:

The speakers, so far, include a few familiar faces in Republican circles, such as former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and GOP primary candidate Rick Santorum. Additionally, the list boasts a number of governors, including Susana Martinez (New Mexico), John Kasich (Ohio), Rick Scott (Fla.), Mary Fallin (Okla.), and Nikki Haley (South Carolina).

XXXXX

At least three Hispanic speakers have been chosen, including Martinez, congressional candidate Ted Cruz (Tex.), and Puerto Rico Gov. Luis Fortuño.

First group of convention speakers announced
By: Monique Hamm
8/11/2012 05:40 AM

First group of convention speakers announced | Conservative News, Views & Books

First let me say that the interminable campaign has been a snoozer from day one; so the Convention lineup is at least as exciting as Romney now that Ryan is #2.

The speakers

I was sure Ban Ki-moon would be included, but my source (my wife) tells me the Democrat Convention has first dibs on roll-on deodorant. Goofy Annan was mentioned as a substitute for Ban, but Republican gray beards squelched that idea real fast because of his recent failure in Syria. A wise decision. It’s never a good idea to associate failure with a political party’s nominating convention.

Announcing the lineup and the VP on the same day seems like poor media management. The VP is good for at least four days of coverage. The Convention lineup on its own would be good for a day. Throwing away a day of coverage by overlapping the two is wasteful if not downright sinful.

I don’t want to be too hard on Romney so I’ll close by admitting he showed some smarts in picking a running mate who won’t antagonize conservatives, or please the Democrats as would Rubio or Jindal. Those guys are good, but there is still that eligibility question.

Last edited:
I don’t want to be too hard on Romney so I’ll close by admitting he showed some smarts in picking a running mate who won’t antagonize conservatives, or please the Democrats as would Rubio or Jindal. Those guys are good, but there is still that eligibility question.
What is ‘smart’ about selecting a running-mate that will drive away democratic voters, voters Romney needs to win.

Another poster’s remark about Romney intentionally trying to lose the election is sounding more credible.

They said Ron Paul could appear at the convention as long as it was with a pre recorded video aka edited,slashed and rewritten by the republitard party so we will just hold a bigger convention than them near them.:)

Last edited:
What is ‘smart’ about selecting a running-mate that will drive away democratic voters, voters Romney needs to win.

To C_Clayton_Jones: In other words the VP candidate should only say what Democrats want to hear and Democrats will vote Republican. Get real.

It look like Rice Cakes’ road game ain’t working with everybody:

Condoleezza Rice spoke to the RNC Wednesday night to near universal acclaim. I agree that it was a smoothly delivered speech, no doubt because it's the same speech she always gives and practice makes perfect.

XXXXX

Post-Reagan Era Republicans in any event, have had enough of Beltway careerists, who will say anything to win the next big job, or in Condi's case, the same thing, over and over.

No matter. Rice will pack her balloons and head back to her rat hole in the academy.

I do have doubts about Romney’s judgement:

I don't know if Rice seriously competed to be Romney's VP. If she did and was outshone by Paul Ryan's obvious depth and brilliance, it reflects well on Romney's good judgment.

Condi Rice Apeaks Again. And Again
Frank Friday
August 31, 2012

Blog: Condi Rice Apeaks Again. And Again

Why in hell did he let a former secretary of state with a questionable track record speak and NOT give a former VP candidate conservatives admire and respect the same platform? If he is so afraid of what Sarah might say perhaps Tea Partiers are listening to the wrong Republicans?

I have to say that Romney is proving to be the most frustrating Republican candidate I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen wimps and boobs, but none so frustrating as Romney. Everything he says and does might be smart politics, but he only looks half-assed when he mixes good words and deeds with political wiggle room. Methinks the man is putting too much stock in “Anybody But Obama.”

She served as the 66th United States Secretary of State, and was the second person to hold that office in the administration of President George W. Bush. Rice was the first female African-American secretary of state, as well as the second African American (after Colin Powell), and the second woman (after Madeleine Albright). Rice was President Bush's National Security Advisor during his first term, making her the first woman to serve in that position. Before joining the Bush administration, she was a professor of political science at Stanford University where she served as Provost from 1993 to 1999. Rice also served on the National Security Council as the Soviet and East European Affairs Advisor to President George H.W. Bush during the dissolution of the Soviet Union and German reunification.
Following her confirmation as Secretary of State, Rice pioneered the policy of Transformational Diplomacy, with a focus on democracy in the Greater Middle East. Her emphasis on supporting democratically elected governments faced challenges as Hamas captured a popular majority in Palestinian elections, and influential countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt maintained authoritarian systems with U.S. support. While Secretary of State, she chaired the Millennium Challenge Corporation's board of directors.[1]
In March 2009, Rice returned to Stanford University as a political science professor and the Thomas and Barbara Stephenson Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution.[2][3] In September 2010, Rice became a faculty member of the Stanford Graduate School of Business and a director of its Global Center for Business and the Economy.

Gosh I just can't IMAGINE why Condi Rice would speak and not Sarah Palin!

I love Sarah Palin. I really do. She has more brains in her pinky toenail than obama has in his entire body. However, Rice brings a dimension to her speech that Palin cannot. Anything else is just amusing to see democrats try, after years of demonizing Sarah Palin to somehow contort their opinion of her into respect and admiration.

She served as the 66th United States Secretary of State, and was the second person to hold that office in the administration of President George W. Bush. Rice was the first female African-American secretary of state, as well as the second African American (after Colin Powell), and the second woman (after Madeleine Albright). Rice was President Bush's National Security Advisor during his first term, making her the first woman to serve in that position. Before joining the Bush administration, she was a professor of political science at Stanford University where she served as Provost from 1993 to 1999. Rice also served on the National Security Council as the Soviet and East European Affairs Advisor to President George H.W. Bush during the dissolution of the Soviet Union and German reunification.
Following her confirmation as Secretary of State, Rice pioneered the policy of Transformational Diplomacy, with a focus on democracy in the Greater Middle East. Her emphasis on supporting democratically elected governments faced challenges as Hamas captured a popular majority in Palestinian elections, and influential countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt maintained authoritarian systems with U.S. support. While Secretary of State, she chaired the Millennium Challenge Corporation's board of directors.[1]
In March 2009, Rice returned to Stanford University as a political science professor and the Thomas and Barbara Stephenson Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution.[2][3] In September 2010, Rice became a faculty member of the Stanford Graduate School of Business and a director of its Global Center for Business and the Economy.

Gosh I just can't IMAGINE why Condi Rice would speak and not Sarah Palin!

I love Sarah Palin. I really do. She has more brains in her pinky toenail than obama has in his entire body. However, Rice brings a dimension to her speech that Palin cannot. Anything else is just amusing to see democrats try, after years of demonizing Sarah Palin to somehow contort their opinion of her into respect and admiration.

To Katzndogz: You posted a résumé for a liberal Democrat! So I’m not certain if you are praising Rice Cakes or being satirical? Anyway, go to this thread for a better view:

Incidentally, this is no plus anywhere except in the Muslim world and at the United Nations:

. . . Rice pioneered the policy of Transformational Diplomacy, with a focus on democracy in the Greater Middle East.

The Muslim Brotherhood is benefitting the most from democracy. Aside from the fact that democracy is always on its way to something worse it is the parasite class’ choice of government. Bottom line: Democracy will always be the mortal enemy of limited government.

Finally, did I miss something? I have not seen Democrats voicing respect and admiration for Sarah.

Forum List

Back