The Constitutinality of the patriot act

Look at it this way. The left has an unstoppable majority in both houses, so if there were any provisions of the Patriot Act that were bad, they could fix them. Apparently, the dems/left like the Patriot Act just the way it is, or they wouldn't be worried about C+T, and UHC, and some of the other bullshit priorities they are working on.
They had their shot at governing, and they failed. Next....

I agree. My guess is most Democrats, at least those Democrats who are politicians, were only worried about the Patriot Act under the Republicans.

Exactly.

The Patriot Act only lasts for so many years, then it has to be reviewed and re-approved.

Dem congress maintained it the last time it came up. Quietly.

For those against the patriot Act a simple question: Precisely what freedoms of yours (specifically yours) have been enfringed upon since the inception of the first patriot Act?

-TSO

Don't be an obtuse jackass. Your point is meaningless.

So in other words, the Patriot Act hasn't affected your life one bit?

-TSO

I'm not going to explain it to you. You need to go back to your original post and tell us why the point you were trying to make does not actually work. Think for yourself.

For those against the patriot Act a simple question: Precisely what freedoms of yours (specifically yours) have been enfringed upon since the inception of the first patriot Act?

-TSO

Impossible to say. Anyone who tells us would be prosecuted.

-TSO

Why must anyone's freedoms have been enfringed on to date? The problem is that the potential is there not that it has happened.

Were we given the right to Habeus Corpus because of people who had been jailed and refused release or was it because of the potential of it happening in the future?

The Constitution was written to protect our rights in the future. The Patriot Act is a threat to those rights. Being a threat does not imply that enfringement has already occured.

Immie

I agree. My guess is most Democrats, at least those Democrats who are politicians, were only worried about the Patriot Act under the Republicans.
And vice versa. Now its the Democrats in charge you're starting to hear folks on the Right grumble about Federal Authority that their own side went to great lengths to set up.

Truth is, Patriot and the DHS are just a bad idea. Giving the Feds expanded power is always a bad idea. The problem is that talking head parrots on both sides only think something is a bad idea when its the other side doing it.

And vice versa. Now its the Democrats in charge you're starting to hear folks on the Right grumble about Federal Authority that their own side went to great lengths to set up.

Truth is, Patriot and the DHS are just a bad idea. Giving the Feds expanded power is always a bad idea. The problem is that talking head parrots on both sides only think something is a bad idea when its the other side doing it.

Also true.

The problem with one party expanding state power is that eventually the other side is going to get to use it too.

Also true.

The problem with one party expanding state power is that eventually the other side is going to get to use it too.

Folks never seem to figure that out though. Too many "R" voters bought into Rove's "Perpetual Majority" Kool Aid to believe that expanding power might come back to haunt them.

That's just one more reason we need less Democrats and Republicans, and more educated citizens. Too bad neither side is interested in that.

I'm not going to explain it to you.

Of course you aren't. It's the easy way around answering a simple question.

-TSO

So if the government is rounding up and executing all blacks it is only wrong if you are black. right? If you aren't black then it is perfectly ok. For any racist idiots out there you can replace the word black with any race/group you feel like substituting.

Wow, I hadn't heard about any group of individuals getting "rounded up" care to provide a link to where that was happening?

-TSO

I don't know what parts of the patriot act the left is up in arms about since all they do is scream patriot act violates the constitution but I've read the 5h amendment and it gives an exception to due process of law.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

It says here that there are exceptions to the rule that I believe many anti-patriot act people believe invalidates it but under these circumstances, and I believe that a foreign organization has declared war on the US, it is exceptable.

Discuss...

IT gives way too much power to the federal government and the office of the president.

That is my short answer of why I dont like the patriot act (and no im not know as a leftie)

Forum List

Back