5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
About a week old, but very interesting.

-----------------
The Conservative Revolt
Fred Barnes
Thu Oct 20,10:56 AM ET

Washington (The Daily Standard) - WHY have so many conservatives suddenly revolted against President Bush, nearly five years into his presidency? I think their split with Bush is ill advised, counterproductive, and in some ways childish. But there's no doubt it's happening and it's serious. And there's more to it than disappointment with his nomination of Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court. So why exactly has this revolt broken out now? I've come up with six reasons, and there may be more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/weeklystand...SgdIEWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YWFzYnA2BHNlYwM3NDI-

Of course RWA it is the liberals fault that the conservatives are doing somthing you don't like. :rolleyes:

gop_jeff said:

-----------------
The Conservative Revolt
Fred Barnes

Washington (The Daily Standard) - WHY have so many conservatives suddenly revolted against President Bush, nearly five years into his presidency? I think their split with Bush is ill advised, counterproductive, and in some ways childish. But there's no doubt it's happening and it's serious. And there's more to it than disappointment with his nomination of Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court. So why exactly has this revolt broken out now? I've come up with six reasons, and there may be more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/weeklystand...SgdIEWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YWFzYnA2BHNlYwM3NDI-

Why shouldn't conservatives get upset? Bush seems to want it both ways. He has done a lot of good but he swings to the left too much. Why does he sell himself and the party out? (although many in the party are just as responsible) Is it the result of deals being made under the table? Are we just one big oligarchy? :dunno:

Bush, of course, is a conservative, but a different kind of conservative. His tax cuts, support for social issues, hawkish position on national security and terrorism, and rejection of the Kyoto protocols make him so. He's also killed the ABM and Comprehensive Test Ban treaties, kept the United States out of the international criminal court, defied the United Nations, and advocated a shift in power from Washington to individuals through an "ownership society." On some issues--partial privatization of Social Security is the best example--he is a bolder conservative than Ronald Reagan, the epitome of a conventional conservative.

The only thing I can see that departs with conservatism is the demosetic spending.........He tried with SS and everyone who was for it before the election poo- pooed it afterwards.

Two, Bush has not courted leaders of the conservative movement. He's left that to his adviser Karl Rove, who did an excellent job until he was distracted by the investigation of the CIA leak case. Movement conservatives feel Bush doesn't respect them. They may be right.

Maybe they need to get over thier own sense of self importance!!!

Three, the White House has grown a bit arrogant and self-centered. That's what naturally occurs after a president is reelected. The White House thinks its interests are more significant than those of members of Congress. In fact, their interests (winning a war, for instance) usually are. But senators and House members who are running for reelection, while Bush won't have to face the electorate again, regard this White House attitude with resentment. They may be small-minded, but it's understandable.

Again stop whining and grow up and take their thumbs out of their asses, on both sides, we are in a war against terrorism that takes precendent on everything else because if we do get attacked again NOTHING ELSE WILL MATTER!!

Four, Bush is down. His job approval is at an all-time low. He is under fire, unfairly, for his handling of the Katrina rescue and recovery. His bid this year for Social Security reform failed. All of which has provoked the classic Washington response to the plight of a political foe in trouble: kick 'em while they're down. Many conservatives, who rarely complained when Bush was riding high, have joined in the kicking.

Well that's just plain ridiculous and if that is true then we are living in a country of very stupid people who don't deserve a good president!!!!!!!!

Five, the press is happy to abet the revolt. For the media, the situation is the best of all worlds. Not only is a conservative president in trouble, but the media can concentrate on covering conservatives who are bashing one of their own. Two days ago, reporters covering a press conference by Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer abandoned him when Republican Senator Sam Brownback walked by. They rushed to Brownback, a skeptic on the Miers nomination, in hopes he would bash Bush or Miers or both.

Again if people are too stupid to see through the press and refrain from giving them needless annumition, then they deserve Hillary in the Whitehouse!!!!!!!!!!!

Six, the Miers nomination didn't just trigger the revolt. It provoked deep anger toward Bush as well. The feeling of conservative critics was that Bush had trivialized an enormously important Supreme Court nomination by choosing his legal counsel. Despite Bush's assurances, they are doubtful Miers will turn out to be a judicial conservative

Bush most likely thought she was conservative in her ideology and took a chance with her, bum move on his part, but she has stepped down and Bush will likely pick someone mcuh more suitable for the position and the Democrats true to form will put up a huge fight over it most likely not even giving someone like Janice Rodgers Brown, or Patricia Owens an up or down vote...Who will conservatives blame then??????????????????????

We are winning the war in Iraq slowly for some but still winning, our economy is strong, gas prices are coming down, Roberts was confirmed Chief Justice, And if people in Florida who had five days to stock up on water and non perishable food, want to keep blaming George and Jeb for having to sit in water lines that's their problem. This is why the conservative party will never stay strong enough to win consistantly, it's not their ideas that are flawed, it's the idea that they don't stick together like Democrats do. Clinton and his wife had the most scandalous presidency in many years and Democrats stuck by them no matter what they did, neither was ever indicted and should have been!!

deaddude said:
Of course RWA it is the liberals fault that the conservatives are doing somthing you don't like. :rolleyes:

We have to keep the payola flowing to keep power, so the dems don't do something stupid like abandon the war on terrorism. I don't like it. If we had two parties who believed in defending the west against islamic dominance, we could play them off each other. But since libs are so dense about national security, there's no other reasonable choice at this point.

deaddude said:
I thinks thats why we have Bush :laugh:

Hardly!! I keep wondering why those opposed to Bush just keep up with baseless insults, and I have come to the conclusion that's all they have.

Bonnie said:
This is why the conservative party will never stay strong enough to win consistantly, it's not their ideas that are flawed, it's the idea that they don't stick together like Democrats do. Clinton and his wife had the most scandalous presidency in many years and Democrats stuck by them no matter what they did, neither was ever indicted and should have been!!

Something Republicans, conservatives, libertarians, independents and whoever else can't stomach the current Democrat Party should think about. Right now what we have is a perfect illustration of the old saw that "power corrupts." Being in control of all three branches of the federal government has made conservatives and others who have views similar to the conservative philosophy very arrogant and unwilling to compromise in a place--Washington--where compromise is absolutely essential if you want to get anything done. The attitude is becoming more and more: it's my way or the highway. Fracturing within the "conservative umbrella" will not accomplish a thing, except get the Democrats back is power again, using the ammunition that the "conservative umbrella" group gave them.

I understand the frustration of those that want the GOP to win and win again. Hey, I would like that too. Just not at the cost of losing site of the principles that are the reasons that I chose to go 'conservative.'

Personally I see the difference between the 'Republicans, conservatives, libertarians, independents' being that the former are not the 'sheep' that Bully so likes to call them. Yes, there is a 'religious right' and for many of them it's all about 'family values' and the end of abortion. For a small number of them, they would be happy with curtailments on individual liberties.

Then there are many on the 'Right' who also are for 'family values', against abortion, but do draw a line at making laws that change either the federal system or our constitutional rights-even with the excess some take them.

Then there are some who are just fiscal conservatives, but social liberals-truly probably the smallest of the 'groups' within the 'umbrella.' They have mostly left the GOP.

The DNC also has their 'groups', but for the most part, their goal is ultimately to vote 'D' and take power.

Kathianne said:
I understand the frustration of those that want the GOP to win and win again. Hey, I would like that too. Just not at the cost of losing site of the principles that are the reasons that I chose to go 'conservative.'

It is not the GOP that I want to "win and win" again; it is the conservative philosophy of government, which only in recent years has gained enough adherents that it has a shot at becoming the permanent governing power. Now we have to be careful that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot while intoxicated with our own sense of power and overlook the fact that in Washington compromise is absolutely necessary. Without it, nothing can, or will, get done.

I read all those conservatives' claims about not giving up "principles" just for "party"; but keep in mind that today, without the Republican Party, there is no vehicle for implementing those "principles". You can bet your life that President Hillary would not give any consideration to conservative principles. She would be too busy remaking America into the liberal/social utopia that is known as Europe.

Kathianne said:

Personally I see the difference between the 'Republicans, conservatives, libertarians, independents' being that the former are not the 'sheep' that Bully so likes to call them. Yes, there is a 'religious right' and for many of them it's all about 'family values' and the end of abortion. For a small number of them, they would be happy with curtailments on individual liberties.

Then there are many on the 'Right' who also are for 'family values', against abortion, but do draw a line at making laws that change either the federal system or our constitutional rights-even with the excess some take them.

Then there are some who are just fiscal conservatives, but social liberals-truly probably the smallest of the 'groups' within the 'umbrella.' They have mostly left the GOP.

The DNC also has their 'groups', but for the most part, their goal is ultimately to vote 'D' and take power.

Principles mean nothing if you can't win politically. Let's not get into circular firing squad formation. Bitching TOO MUCH about bush now only helps dems win. That's the political truth. I have my issues, but let's keep the dirty laundry inhouse.

gop_jeff said:

-----------------
The Conservative Revolt
Fred Barnes

IMO, the split is more traditional conservatives vs neo-cons than it is a revolt against Bush. You have to admit, Bush is not your run-of-the-mill, traditional conservative. I think he forgot to read the part about less spending and smaller government .......

rtwngAvngr said:
Bitching TOO MUCH about bush now only helps dems win. That's the political truth. I have my issues, but let's keep the dirty laundry inhouse.

It is the truth, RtwngAvngr. The opposition (especially the MSM) pick up the discontent and use it to help the Dems get back in power. (And probably have a good laugh at us in the process.)

Like you, I have some issues with President Bush. I have not been entirely satisfied with some things he has or has not done, but he is so much better than the Hillary Clinton types.

Splitting the conservative coalition, which has taken so many years to develop, will not help us. Those who have coalesced under the conservative "umbrella" should understand that give-and-take (compromise) will be necessary within the party--as well as in Washington--if we are to prevail. It is not possible to get the whole enchilada in politics. Our main goal should be to work hard to make sure governance by conservative philosophy prevails. It will not with a splintered party, or if we give the opposition ammunition to use against us. Let your elected representatives and President Bush himself know of your dissatisfaction. That's how/where you have any hope of bringing about desired changes.

Adam's Apple said:
It is the truth, RtwngAvngr. The opposition (especially the MSM) pick up the discontent and use it to help the Dems get back in power. (And probably have a good laugh at us in the process.)

Like you, I have some issues with President Bush. I have not been entirely satisfied with some things he has or has not done, but he is so much better than the Hillary Clinton types.

Splitting the conservative coalition, which has taken so many years to develop, will not help us. Those who have coalesced under the conservative "umbrella" should understand that give-and-take (compromise) will be necessary within the party--as well as in Washington--if we are to prevail. It is not possible to get the whole enchilada in politics. Our main goal should be to work hard to make sure governance by conservative philosophy prevails. It will not with a splintered party, or if we give the opposition ammunition to use against us. Let your elected representatives and President Bush himself know of your dissatisfaction. That's how/where you have any hope of bringing about desired changes.

All I can say to this is ..... does Ross Perot ring a bell? Cost us 8 years with a classless hillbilly in office.

Bonnie said:
Hardly!! I keep wondering why those opposed to Bush just keep up with baseless insults, and I have come to the conclusion that's all they have.

Go ask OCA, he is leading the bandwagon, thats why I dropped the HAMMER on him. Its all emotion based Bush bashing, they are no better than anti war liberals.

Adam's Apple said:
Something Republicans, conservatives, libertarians, independents and whoever else can't stomach the current Democrat Party should think about. Right now what we have is a perfect illustration of the old saw that "power corrupts." Being in control of all three branches of the federal government has made conservatives and others who have views similar to the conservative philosophy very arrogant and unwilling to compromise in a place--Washington--where compromise is absolutely essential if you want to get anything done. The attitude is becoming more and more: it's my way or the highway. Fracturing within the "conservative umbrella" will not accomplish a thing, except get the Democrats back is power again, using the ammunition that the "conservative umbrella" group gave them.

Uh, conservatives ARE NOT in control of the three branches of govt.

Judical, hahahhahahahah

Congress, uh, not even

President, well, isnt he the one this thread is all about?

Kathianne said:

Actually, the DNC has more groups, but they stay there cuz there is nowhere else for them to go, even if the DNC doesnt represent them too well.

Unions,
Educators
minorities
homosexuals
feminists
Peta
enviormentalists
liberal Christians
illegals
Criminals
young people
single parent women

Im sure I have missed some (they will come to my mind while Im working on my roof, 35 feet above the ground :) )

Adam's Apple said:

Splitting the conservative coalition, which has taken so many years to develop, will not help us. Those who have coalesced under the conservative "umbrella" should understand that give-and-take (compromise) will be necessary within the party--as well as in Washington--if we are to prevail. It is not possible to get the whole enchilada in politics. Our main goal should be to work hard to make sure governance by conservative philosophy prevails. It will not with a splintered party, or if we give the opposition ammunition to use against us...

I agree, Adam. I truly don't get Conservatives bitching about President Bush. He will be in the White House for 3 more years either way, so why throw spears at him and thereby give aid and comfort to the Democrats? It could all very possibly make it easier for a Dem to gain the White House in '08. I too have a couple of issues with the President, most notably his failure to address illegal immigration, and his unwillingness to inform the public about the progress we are making in the War on Terrorism. But I know that just about any and every Dem out there will be so much worse than him on every issue I care about. I simply refuse to pile on President Bush, help to splinter the Republican Party, and make it easier for someone like sHrillary to get elected.

Adam's Apple said:

You and RWA are absolutely right. Dont forget, one of the longer lasting influences Bush will have, and the future RNC, if we get the presidencey again, is the appointment of judges at all levels. Dont forget, much of the implementation of liberalism into our laws has been done through the judiciary.
Even if Bush has done some, somewhat, liberal things, he is appointing very conservative judges.

Also, dont buy into the notion that we are spending soooo much. I would have liked to see a decrease also, but look what happened when he tried to reform SS, the MEDIA is at fault and the libs like FUCKING lying Kennedy, left a woman to drown, lied about it, changed his story, wants to tax me while he is worth millions, complained the Bush compromise on medicare medication spending wasnt enough, not enoug spent on education,,,HIC,,,burpppp, pour me another please,,,,,,

But anyways, the percent of the GDP that has been spent is actually DOWN from Clinton. Dont forget, the govt is like us in one way, if we increase our economic status, we then tend to spend more, cuz we have more to spend, its about percentages.

PRESIDENT Bush is doing great on the economy.

Forum List

Back