The Conservative Contradiction

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
So many people claim to be conservative out of one side of their mouth, but out the other they bitch and moan about the terrible state of the status quo and lobby for decidedly progressive change. The only theoretically conservative position they hold is abject opposition to all progressive iniatives for change championed by the left. But their opposition is clearly not borne of conservatism, but rather a conflicting progressive agenda.

True conservatives would oppose radical progressivism from both wings. Faux-conservatives seem to only oppose it when it's coming from left.

And that's a shame.

Contradiction

Oppose Abortion but support the Death Penalty

Oppose Big Government getting involved in your personal choices but oppose Gay Marriage

The media labels everyone so we all feel the need to label ourselves

If you put 100 conservatives in a room, they will only agree on one thing, lower taxes.

Everything else is a mixture of opinions.

• Banned

If you put 100 conservatives in a room, they will only agree on one thing, lower taxes.

Lower taxes huh... :eusa_think:

Lower than what?

So, would I be wrong in concluding avarice is the only thing which unites conservatives?

Conservatism is in itself a contridiction, a paradox if you will, for it is not sutainable - we cannot live in the past.

So many people claim to be conservative out of one side of their mouth, but out the other they bitch and moan about the terrible state of the status quo and lobby for decidedly progressive change. The only theoretically conservative position they hold is abject opposition to all progressive iniatives for change championed by the left. But their opposition is clearly not borne of conservatism, but rather a conflicting progressive agenda.

True conservatives would oppose radical progressivism from both wings. Faux-conservatives seem to only oppose it when it's coming from left.

And that's a shame.

The big lies from the repugs are that they hate "Big Government", except when they want it.

"We don't want some government bureaucrat telling doctors what to do." "We don't want the government in the operating room or the doctor's office." Except when it comes to abortion. Then they are all about "The Government Telling Doctors What To Do."

Bushie Baby grew the government, and the national debt, the repugs followed in lock step.

Conservatism is in itself a contridiction, a paradox if you will, for it is not sutainable - we cannot live in the past.

Depends of what you define as conservative. If you don't like a conservative as the OP defines it, a progressive religious person or Neocon then how can you like a progressive liberal that supports Obama? They are more or less the same thing.
The main argument from many liberals is that conservatives love war, despite Obama escalating it after running off getting out of it and now a “good” amount of liberals supporting the war now.
If a “conservative supports –

Illegal immigration (amnesty)
The war(s)
SS
Medicare
Medicaid
Government growth
Redistributions of wealth
Then you have something closer to a neocon, or outright a liberal.

As RW said (as a pathetic argument) on 1 hand “conservatives” support the Death Penalty while condemning abortion but of course he tries to tie in religion and belief over policy. Moreover he takes something on a state level and tries to compare it to a federal level.

Conservatives like anyone will be different than other people that share many of the same political beliefs. For instance, I’m conservative but I’m not religious at all, I’m pro choice and pro “gay rights” as being equal to the rest of the non gay people out there.

Also, as if there are not liberals that are againt gay marriage and gay rights... pff, RW is a bigot as we all know though.

I have always found it interesting that the Republicans who pride themselves on their patriotism harbor such deep seated hatred for their government.

I have always found it interesting that the Republicans who pride themselves on their patriotism harbor such deep seated hatred for their government.

Government is the antithesis to freedom. It is a necessary evil to maintain a civilized society because anarchy would be chaotic, but an overbearing government takes away freedom; it does not preserve it. So it's quite logical for patriotic people to be distrusting of the government.

Quite frankly, anyone that trusts the government has their head up their ass.

As far as Republicans go, they claim to be anti big government, but their actions show otherwise.

I believe myself to be somewhat conservative, but I don't know that lowering taxes in today's climate is the right thing to do in order to inspire economic growth. There comes a point when taxes are so low that lowering them further does nothing to cause further growth.

Immie

Contradiction

Oppose Abortion but support the Death Penalty

Oppose Big Government getting involved in your personal choices but oppose Gay Marriage

The common flaw of the liberals is found within this comment
There are two very differences between Abortion and the death penalty. I have explain this to you way to many times you are either too stupid to grasp it. Or just disregard the truth.
Abortion is killing of an innocent life.
The death penalty is when a person has committed a crime worthy enough to surrender their life.

I oppose big government but I do not oppose gay marriage unless it is in my state. That issue is up to the states to decide.

Last edited:
Contradiction

Oppose government intervention in your economy but support government intervention in other nations economies (war).

(the reverse applies to many liberals)

Contradiction

Oppose government intervention in your economy but support government intervention in other nations economies (war).

(the reverse applies to many liberals)

Big misconception no conservative would think this way, and if they do an claim to be a conservative they're lying.

Forum List

Back