The Conscience Of The (Marine) Colonel

Discussion in 'Military' started by NATO AIR, Apr 1, 2007.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Torture's bitter fruits:

2. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I don't condone torture. Having said that, I will stipulate that my personal view of torture is likely far different than most.

For example, this passage is equated with torture. It isn't. In my opinion, torture requires physical abuse at a minimum. This passage amounts to mind games and not much more.

The most damning statement in my view is this one. Here, I would say that the beating is the worst of it. It alone alone constitutes torture in my view. The rest if performed separately from beatings do not. Of course, if he was beaten while in isolation... but you get the point.

Our next case. Not torture. All are valid mind games designed to break the will.

This is the part that gets to me. If Slahi was innocent, he should be released back to his own country. IF guilty, he should be shot. In either case he should not be quartered at my expense. And he damn sure ought not to even think about coming to America.

I admit to being of many minds about an issue like this. First, if a Colonel of Marines says he was tortured, then I want to believe it. I don't want to believe that a Marine would not do the right thing. It happens, but not too often. I have no problem with stating that I don't condone torture. I have no problem with the concept of violating thier belief system and exploiting it. Things like threatening to bury them with pigs, things like burning the Koran, etc. And, I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that there is a part of me that thinks all them bastards need killing for what they have done, and will continue to do if we lose this war.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    my biggest concern about the treatment of detainees is that we should be quite certain that we are perfectly OK with the pronouncement to any and all future enemies of the United States, that it is perfectly acceptable from our standpoint, if they treat captured American servicemen and women in exactly the same way... because, if they DO, we will not have a leg to stand on if we complain about such treatment.

4. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I don't have a problem with that. In fact, the majority of the time when Americans are captured, they are treated worse than "that". Personally I am more inclined to simply soak the suspected terrorist with drugs and dredge out everything they know. Then if they are terrorists, kill them out of hand. IF they are not terrorists, send em back with an RFID chip. If captured again, kill them out of hand.

5. Igor Peters

Igor Peters Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the article.
    "In Mr. Slahi's case, Col. Couch would uncover evidence the prisoner had been beaten and exposed to psychological torture, including death threats and intimations that his mother would be raped in custody unless he cooperated."

If I were a tough arab terrorist, a few death threats and a couple of beatings wouldn't face me. :eusa_naughty:
    On the other hand....
    The assurance that my dear old mommy would be gangraped by a platoon of goons in the service of the CIA if I didn't confess to everything.....:shock:

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I can recall my first up close observance of arab rage was when two young guys thought that a Fijian UN soldier had disrespected their mom. All hell broke loose!

7. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    The same could be said about rednex, blacks, poor whites, jarheads, squids, armydogs, the hairforce, and of course the dallas cowboys. Disrespect of Mom equals bootstompin ass whoopin. It seems to be universal no matter faith, politics, favorite football team, or favored beer. Must be the feminine side trying to come out :badgrin:

8. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    you don't normally see those groups you mention open fire from numerous machine gun emplacements when mom gets disrespected, however

9. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    You aint been to my part of Texas lately huh? :rofl:

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    LOL ... don't you live in Waco?:lol: