CDZ The Competency Paradox

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by jwoodie, Jul 22, 2017.

1. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,172
    Several studies have found an inverse relationship between their actual and self-perceived competency. This is demonstrated by USMB posters who resort to personal insults and other irrelevancies rather than logical application of facts. They think they are more clever than everyone else, but in reality they are profoundly ignorant.

Clever retorts, anyone?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  2. Shrimpbox

Shrimpbox Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
    Ratings:
    +1,817
    Repetition has taken the place of logic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. toobfreak

toobfreak Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,243
    Pretty sad we need to state the obvious, but yes, you've pretty much nailed it! Competent people are usually rather humble about it, those that flaunt their 'superiority' brashly beating others over the head as being (insert your favorite insult here), not often so much. At times it becomes almost comical that the more confused some people are about things the more adamant they become about their clarity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Shrimpbox

Shrimpbox Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
    Ratings:
    +1,817
    It seems after a long hiatus I get back to usmb and it becomes toxic to engage. I have a lot to say and no one to say it to. Ergo keep your responses superficial and spend your time on more productive endeavors. Reasonable people don't need to put up with constant harassment and hackers so they keep quiet or move on.

5. Bonzi

Bonzi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,184
    It's a combo narcissistic complex combined with fight or flight. You are correct that personal insults are the result of no answer, and, their narcissim won't allow them to take the flight option, so they just ramble until the other person just stops interacting with them

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,262
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov -

This is what it boils down to. A loud minority of ignorant people who are alienated because of their ignorance but still want to feel like they count in the society. They do, but they have a need to be seen on the same intellectual level as intelligent people. And as ignorant people cannot get there unless they get educated, they instead drag intelligence down and attempt to redefine it as 'opinion'. They put opinion on the same level as fact, that way their 'opinions' are just as relevant and valuable as facts. They aren't of course but this exercise makes ignorant people feel good about their ignorance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,987
    We are about to get more of the same twitter and Facebook is closing a lot more boards and most of the folks from social media have been trained to hang up manners at the login.

8. sakinago

sakinago Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +956
    This sounds like somebody incompetent would say. Or somebody who thinks they're immune to incompetence would say. With the "big words" used, and the need to post something like this. If I were to put it into words, as a metaphor it sounds like someone, is trying to take on the biggest guy in the "proverbial room." That's what your post sounds like.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,172
    Thanks for proving my point. :)

P.S. Which "big words" were you having trouble with?

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Muhammed

Muhammed Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,691
    I see that you are talking about yourself again. That's psychological projection

I refer to the case of "you're a poopy butt" vs. "I know you are but what am I?"

In kindergarten teacher Ms. Jones' landmark decision it was found that he who smelt it dealt it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017