The coming evangelical collapse

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
The coming evangelical collapse | csmonitor.com

Oneida, Ky. - We are on the verge – within 10 years – of a major collapse of evangelical Christianity. This breakdown will follow the deterioration of the mainline Protestant world and it will fundamentally alter the religious and cultural environment in the West.

Within two generations, evangelicalism will be a house deserted of half its occupants. (Between 25 and 35 percent of Americans today are Evangelicals.) In the "Protestant" 20th century, Evangelicals flourished. But they will soon be living in a very secular and religiously antagonistic 21st century.

This collapse will herald the arrival of an anti-Christian chapter of the post-Christian West. Intolerance of Christianity will rise to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes, and public policy will become hostile toward evangelical Christianity, seeing it as the opponent of the common good.

Millions of Evangelicals will quit. Thousands of ministries will end. Christian media will be reduced, if not eliminated. Many Christian schools will go into rapid decline. I'm convinced the grace and mission of God will reach to the ends of the earth. But the end of evangelicalism as we know it is close.

more at the link

Quite frankly, I dont believe it. I just dont. Though I certainly understand why there might be concern about the new generation not understanding the scriptures and the Doctrines of Christ as well as previous ones. But I think thas true with all religions.

Fundamentalism usually flourishes in bad times and in societies with closed educational systems, so who knows. Poverty tends to breed limitations that exceed the economic. I notice today that many of the upper classes have a more tolerant approach to social issues and they won't become evangelicals any time soon. But there are divisions in our societies as college becomes something that few can afford and media is so diluted with BS rational thought flies out the window.

"An unequal society cannot help but be an unjust society. The most important item that parents in any society try to buy is a head start for their children. And the wealthier they are, the bigger the head start. Societies that promise equality of opportunity thus cannot afford to allow inequality of outcomes to become too great." J. Bradford DeLong
Project Syndicate

The coming evangelical collapse | csmonitor.com

Oneida, Ky. - We are on the verge – within 10 years – of a major collapse of evangelical Christianity. This breakdown will follow the deterioration of the mainline Protestant world and it will fundamentally alter the religious and cultural environment in the West.

Within two generations, evangelicalism will be a house deserted of half its occupants. (Between 25 and 35 percent of Americans today are Evangelicals.) In the "Protestant" 20th century, Evangelicals flourished. But they will soon be living in a very secular and religiously antagonistic 21st century.

This collapse will herald the arrival of an anti-Christian chapter of the post-Christian West. Intolerance of Christianity will rise to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes, and public policy will become hostile toward evangelical Christianity, seeing it as the opponent of the common good.

Millions of Evangelicals will quit. Thousands of ministries will end. Christian media will be reduced, if not eliminated. Many Christian schools will go into rapid decline. I'm convinced the grace and mission of God will reach to the ends of the earth. But the end of evangelicalism as we know it is close.

Follow the link for the entire article

I already posted this. It's even got the same exact thread name.

Religious revivalism ebbs and flows in the American zietguiest.

Rather like hemlines go up and down, or ties get wide or narrow.

Forum List

Back