The Colored Plastic Onslaught Must Stop

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
The little one turned 1 today, and at the birthday party, she received no fewer than a dozen brightly-colored plastic toy things. This is in addition to the several dozen she has already. Really, do we need all this? When they're all out, they cover every inch of the floor of the house.

The little one turned 1 today, and at the birthday party, she received no fewer than a dozen brightly-colored plastic toy things. This is in addition to the several dozen she has already. Really, do we need all this? When they're all out, they cover every inch of the floor of the house.

:eusa_eh: What are you talking about?

You must not have kids.

No, I don’t have children but I have babysat before. After reviewing your post again, I think that I understand your issue. You don’t like the fact that your child was given so many colorful plastic toys. Okay. I have a solution for you. Ask the parents of your child’s friends to not give anymore colorful plastic toys for your kid. Explain that your place is “swamped” with them and that you have too many. I think that they would understand and cut back on giving such gifts in the future.

You must not have kids.

There is no escape. Not from Legos, Barbies, Fisher-Price, Little Tykes. They are your new reality. Some help may be available via Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and Brio trains. I know that when I have grandchildren, I'm buying LOTS and lots of noisy things, to be kept at my kids homes. ;) Drum sets, music players-sans earphones, etc!

As an aunt and god-parent to triplet girls :shock: I know exactly how out of control toys can get.

My advice/suggestion would be to only put out a few of the toys at a time...if friends/family give your child a bunch of presents, say that you don't want to overwhelm and/or spoil them - so you're only going to give them a few at a time. That way, your child can still enjoy the gifts from the people who love them...and you can still enjoy seeing your living room floor!

How many toys are made with plastic with lead based paint? The majority of them.

How many get recalled because of the small pieces becoming choking hazards or lead paint hazards? A small portion of them.

The answer is "No."

Take some down to goodwill or to your church for the poor.

I hear you man!

My Gf's daughter is 4, and her birthday is Jan 4. So that means, she gets loaded with x-mas shit, and then only about a week or so later, loaded with birthday shit.

This girl's stuff is spilling over out of her room, and into the living room. My son was just born in August, so I'm only going to have to deal with this all over again!

I think kids are getting way too much crap these days. She's got every cool thing to play with, and all she wants to do is watch Hannah Montana and play internet games on nickjr.com and playhousedisney.com (she's probably better at computer games than I am).

The girlfriend doesn't understand the concept of appreciation. The more you GIVE to a kid, the less they give a fuck ABOUT the stuff.

I say ONE gift for x-mas, and ONE gift for birthday. Something really cool for each, that way they learn to appreciate the value of those things.

I'm so tired of stepping barefoot on the tiniest little toys known to man: dollhouse accessories.

The answer is "No."

Take some down to goodwill or to your church for the poor.

I hear that too. Probably 3 or 4 times a year, we go through her room and pick out a bunch of crap she doesn't fit into or play with anymore. Goodwill has definitely been well stocked thanks to us.

At least she's really cool about giving her things away. We've taught her to understand the goodness of such a gesture, and how it "helps other kids who don't have all the toys and things that you have".

Man, I miss being a kid.

There is no escape. Not from Legos, Barbies, Fisher-Price, Little Tykes. They are your new reality. Some help may be available via Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and Brio trains. I know that when I have grandchildren, I'm buying LOTS and lots of noisy things, to be kept at my kids homes. ;) Drum sets, music players-sans earphones, etc!

Haha my mom doesn't live around here, and only gets to see my son but twice a year. The GF's parents and friends are always buying the stupidest, loudest crap they can think of. If my GF's parents cared enough to actually spend TIME with their grandkids, we'd definitely be supplying them with the noisiest stuff we possibly could, for the kids to play with when they're over their houses.

It's amazing that people can, in good conscience, buy the loudest toys on the market to give as gifts to their friend's and family's kids.

My girlfriend's daughter has more fun playing with whatever is a scrap of something that WE'RE utilizing, than she'll EVER have with her own toys.

I guess if anything, she's a good garbage disposal. She knows damn well that if she picks up pieces of a box to play with, or pieces of styrofoam or what have you, that she better go throw it in the trash can when she's done.

Hey, happy b day to your one year old, dude.

The only thing I have to deal with is my dog's nylabone, tennis balls and the occasional dead varmint....

Haha my mom doesn't live around here, and only gets to see my son but twice a year. The GF's parents and friends are always buying the stupidest, loudest crap they can think of. If my GF's parents cared enough to actually spend TIME with their grandkids, we'd definitely be supplying them with the noisiest stuff we possibly could, for the kids to play with when they're over their houses.

It's amazing that people can, in good conscience, buy the loudest toys on the market to give as gifts to their friend's and family's kids.

My girlfriend's daughter has more fun playing with whatever is a scrap of something that WE'RE utilizing, than she'll EVER have with her own toys.

I guess if anything, she's a good garbage disposal. She knows damn well that if she picks up pieces of a box to play with, or pieces of styrofoam or what have you, that she better go throw it in the trash can when she's done.

Oh yeah! The best 'toy' if a kid is lucky is a box from a fridge or freezer! Hours of fun. My folks, mostly my mom ;) bought my kids every musical instrument and every wheeled vehicle they could. Considering the countless headaches and joys, more of the later than former, I'm commited to carrying on the tradition.

Oh I'll give more than my share of books, and slap my kids around to read them to my grandkids.

I hear you man!

My Gf's daughter is 4, and her birthday is Jan 4. So that means, she gets loaded with x-mas shit, and then only about a week or so later, loaded with birthday shit.

At least you can hit the after Christmas sales for her Birthday present.

Acceptable colored plastic for children:

pink2201a.jpg

At least you can hit the after Christmas sales for her Birthday present.

This is true. Got her a Step 2 play kitchen this year for her Bday after xmas...it was like 1/3 the pre-xmas cost.

Here's what you do...

You take about half of your kids' toys, put them into their individual sets so all the pieces are together, bag them into individual plastic bags...then take them and stash them.

In 6 months, take all the toys she's playing with now and bag them up likewise..and fish out the ones you have stored.

Kids do need a variety of toys. Kids come first, our desire to live without clutter is secondary to their development. And kids that are still toddlers shouldn't be forced to live in a sterile environment because mom and dad don't like to trip on toys.

Forum List

Back