The college scam

Oh...what would we do without the strawman?

Are you related to Big Ears?
I have just retired from 30 years of teaching--university & community college in the States and an international college prep high school program for 11th and 12th graders. I taught that program for 14 years in international schools. The first choice for most graduates of the program, who are from around the world, is either the UK or the US for their university studies. Our program, which has extremely high standards, is highly prized by universities around the world, including the US, schools that are hard to get into. I know from personal, direct experience thst US university degrees are highly valued by employers around the world and that a student will get what he or she puts into college studies.

Teaching degrees are the biggest scam out there. I got a master's in education with teaching license because newspapers would say there is a teacher shortage lots jobs. I went on teaching interviews always same thing heard we have over 100 people who applied we are hiring only one. We wont hire you as teacher but if you want sub for us for 50$ a day.

Instead of looking at degrees advertised as high demand jobs I should thought to myself ok what's a job no one wants.

Mortician would been better choice. No one wants to embalm dead bodies for a living
My niece did much the same thing. She got her bachelors in teaching only to find out no jobs existed. She is a waitress.

That is just simply not true. Teaching has one of the highest turnovers in the first 5 years. Any college graduate can walk in just about anywhere and get a job unless it is in PE, Art, or Music.

I have the exact opposite problem. I am ending my teaching career because no one want to hire someone at $60,000 a year when they can hire two college grads for $30,000 each.

I'll probably take a $25,000 pay cut because of that and starting a new career in my 50s.
It is true, but she graduated in 2010. Teaching jobs in her area were nonexistent at that time.

What is she certified to teach? THAT is the question of importance.

Oh...what would we do without the strawman?

Are you related to Big Ears?
I have just retired from 30 years of teaching--university & community college in the States and an international college prep high school program for 11th and 12th graders. I taught that program for 14 years in international schools. The first choice for most graduates of the program, who are from around the world, is either the UK or the US for their university studies. Our program, which has extremely high standards, is highly prized by universities around the world, including the US, schools that are hard to get into. I know from personal, direct experience thst US university degrees are highly valued by employers around the world and that a student will get what he or she puts into college studies.

Teaching degrees are the biggest scam out there. I got a master's in education with teaching license because newspapers would say there is a teacher shortage lots jobs. I went on teaching interviews always same thing heard we have over 100 people who applied we are hiring only one. We wont hire you as teacher but if you want sub for us for 50$ a day.

Instead of looking at degrees advertised as high demand jobs I should thought to myself ok what's a job no one wants.

Mortician would been better choice. No one wants to embalm dead bodies for a living
My niece did much the same thing. She got her bachelors in teaching only to find out no jobs existed. She is a waitress.

That is just simply not true. Teaching has one of the highest turnovers in the first 5 years. Any college graduate can walk in just about anywhere and get a job unless it is in PE, Art, or Music.

I have the exact opposite problem. I am ending my teaching career because no one want to hire someone at $60,000 a year when they can hire two college grads for $30,000 each.

I'll probably take a $25,000 pay cut because of that and starting a new career in my 50s.
I believe salaries depend on the state you live in.

I began public school teaching at a $50,000 salary, but I have a master's degree and that adds to the salary. Also, in my state (actually 2 states I worked in) you are required to have a degree in education, a 4 year bachelor's degree in education. So it is not true that anyone with a college degree can be hired as a teacher. One must also have a teaching certificate issued by the State.

To substitue teach you also need a degree in education + a state issued teaching certificate and must provide transcripts and letters of recommendaton: they don't send just anyone with a college degree in to substitute teach.

For any teaching job you must provide finger prints taken by the local police.

Wherever you taught and people don't need education degrees, what kind of place is that? Low standards? Low salaries?

And I reiterate, regarding getting a teaching job right out of college: if you don't get one right away, substitute teach for a year (also sign up for summer school teaching if you are in a big city), and this will lead to a full time job--if you do well and make good contacts.

I have been a teacher for 20 years. Apparently you are completely unfamiliar with alternate certification programs. I did not say they needed education degrees because you don't. I never had an undergraduate education degree and neither did most of my colleagues. We had degrees in our subject areas or something very closely related. All you have to have is the education course work and can pass the subject area tests.

I have a degree in history, but a double minor in math. I graduated from college in 1984 but did not take my education coursework or subject tests until 1998 after I had already been teaching math for two years. I am also certified to teach social studies and taught that numerous times over that 20 years.

Your information on substitute teaching is dead wrong. No education degree is required because subs don't usually teach. In fact, a degree of any kind is not required in most districts. The reason is simple. There is no way a substitute with a degree in sociology can ever teach my advanced math classes. Finding someone who can means they are likely a certified teacher looking for a job.

The biggest trend in schools now is to hire a teacher and keep them until just before they attain tenure and then you get a glowing evaluation, but your contract is not renewed. Your paycheck gets to be too much for the cheap ass schools, so they let you go and hire someone fresh out of college. It happened to me year before last. I spent another year and when the end of the year came around, I got an absolutely glowing evaluation and a pink slip a few days later.

I was once let go for getting elected as the union representative! You get a great evaluation and a pink slip!

It is true, but she graduated in 2010. Teaching jobs in her area were nonexistent at that time.
I

I find that a silly question. It depends on what your degree in education is. For example, if you have a bachelors degree to teach secondary business, then your certificate is to teach business in middle and high school. It may be a bit different in each state, but it is national that all public school teachers are required to have a teaching certificate. I know this because I taught in international schools and they required all US teachers to have a teaching license/certificate from their state. Where the hell did you teach? Are you really a teacher that you don't know this?

If she is certified to teach business and at the moment she graduates, again, if she is serious about teaching, she can substitute teach. As long as you have a teaching certificate, you can substitute in any class, any discipline, from 1st through 12th grade. They are just required to have a certified teacher.

You can't really be a teacher if you don't know this stuff. It's fundamental.

I began public school teaching at a $50,000 salary, but I have a master's degree and that adds to the salary. Also, in my state (actually 2 states I worked in) you are required to have a degree in education, a 4 year bachelor's degree in education. So it is not true that anyone with a college degree can be hired as a teacher. One must also have a teaching certificate issued by the State.

To substitue teach you also need a degree in education + a state issued teaching certificate and must provide transcripts and letters of recommendaton: they don't send just anyone with a college degree in to substitute teach.

Wherever you taught and people don't need education degrees, what kind of place is that? Low standards? Low salaries?

And I reiterate, regarding getting a teaching job right out of college: if you don't get one right away, substitute teach for a year (also sign up for summer school teaching if you are in a big city), and this will lead to a full time job--if you do well and make good contacts.

I have been a teacher for 20 years. Apparently you are completely unfamiliar with alternate certification programs. I did not say they needed education degrees because you don't. I never had an undergraduate education degree and neither did most of my colleagues. We had degrees in our subject areas or something very closely related. All you have to have is the education course work and can pass the subject area tests.

I have a degree in history, but a double minor in math. I graduated from college in 1984 but did not take my education coursework or subject tests until 1998 after I had already been teaching math for two years. I am also certified to teach social studies and taught that numerous times over that 20 years.

Your information on substitute teaching is dead wrong. No education degree is required because subs don't usually teach. In fact, a degree of any kind is not required in most districts. The reason is simple. There is no way a substitute with a degree in sociology can ever teach my advanced math classes. Finding someone who can means they are likely a certified teacher looking for a job.

The biggest trend in schools now is to hire a teacher and keep them until just before they attain tenure and then you get a glowing evaluation, but your contract is not renewed. Your paycheck gets to be too much for the cheap ass schools, so they let you go and hire someone fresh out of college. It happened to me year before last. I spent another year and when the end of the year came around, I got an absolutely glowing evaluation and a pink slip a few days later.

I was once let go for getting elected as the union representative! You get a great evaluation and a pink slip!
My information on substitute teaching is not wrong. I was a substitute teacher and I know. I was required to have a teaching certificate. I substitute taught in 1998. I don't think it has changed in my state. Substitute teachers in my state are required to have a teaching degree and you don't get one w/o a degree in education.

If your state has alternative methods of getting a certificate, it is because there is a shortage of teachers, which is just the thing you are arguing against. This makes no sense.

There is no 'tenure' for public school teachers. It does not exist. That is for college and universities teachers. A public school teacher can teach for 30 years and then be fired if he/she has done something very wrong. They don't just fire people for small reasons, but that is not tenure, that is because a teacher who has taught a long time has achieved a strong position professionally and isn't going to be just gotten rid of for something small.

I don't know what your experience is, but as I have said repeatedly, it is different in different states. IMO your area has pretty pathetic rules for teachers and is probably why your state has poor education stats. Probably a red state. Red states don't pay much and have trouble attracting good teachers, so they lower their standards.

My information on substitute teaching is not wrong. I was a substitute teacher and I know. I was required to have a teaching certificate. I substitute taught in 1998. I don't think it has changed in my state. Substitute teachers in my state are required to have a teaching degree and you don't get one w/o a degree in education.

If your state has alternative methods of getting a certificate, it is because there is a shortage of teachers, which is just the thing you are arguing against. This makes no sense.

There is no 'tenure' for public school teachers. It does not exist. That is for college and universities teachers. A public school teacher can teach for 30 years and then be fired if he/she has done something very wrong. They don't just fire people for small reasons, but that is not tenure, that is because a teacher who has taught a long time has achieved a strong position professionally and isn't going to be just gotten rid of for something small.

I don't know what your experience is, but as I have said repeatedly, it is different in different states. IMO your area has pretty pathetic rules for teachers and is probably why your state has poor education stats. Probably a red state. Red states don't pay much and have trouble attracting good teachers, so they lower their standards.

:lol:

It is clear you don’t know what you are talking about.

:lol:

It is clear you don’t know what you are talking about.
I know exactly what I am talking about; it appears you don't know the facts.

Yes, you information on substitutes is quite wrong, not for maybe where you taught, but in general. My most recent special education assistant was a substitute teacher with a two year degree. Requirements vary by location.

I became a teacher 20 years ago and there are still alternative certifications today. Again, it appears you are ignorant of the requirements. Ever hear of "Troops to Teachers"? That is one program that many ex-military can use.

Why would say there is no tenure for public school teachers? I was a tenured teacher in Florida. Do a Google search for tenure requirements. In my current state, you get tenure on the first day of your fifth year of teaching at the same school. That is why my school let me go with an outstanding evaluation after four year complete years.

I really would like to know what you are basing your information on, because it is not true in most cases and your comments on tenure show a complete lack of knowledge on the topic.

I

I find that a silly question. It depends on what your degree in education is. For example, if you have a bachelors degree to teach secondary business, then your certificate is to teach business in middle and high school. It may be a bit different in each state, but it is national that all public school teachers are required to have a teaching certificate. I know this because I taught in international schools and they required all US teachers to have a teaching license/certificate from their state. Where the hell did you teach? Are you really a teacher that you don't know this?

If she is certified to teach business and at the moment she graduates, again, if she is serious about teaching, she can substitute teach. As long as you have a teaching certificate, you can substitute in any class, any discipline, from 1st through 12th grade. They are just required to have a certified teacher.

First, I was addressing my question to Gipper.

Second, you just posted a reply containing crap that was not being addressed by my question.

Third, I was substitute teacher in 1995 in Florida and I had no certificate of any kind, just a BA. In my current state, you have to have a substitute certificate or teacher certificate, but substituting does not require a bachelor's degree.

Now, are there any other areas where you need help?

Last edited:

I

Second, you just posted a reply containing crap that was not being addressed by my question.

Third, I was substitute teacher in 1995 in Florida and I had no certificate of any kind, just a BA. In my current state, you have to have a substitute certificate or teacher certificate, but substituting does not require a bachelor's degree.

Now, is there any other areas where you need help?
Obviously it is different in different states. My state is in the top ten for best schools, Florida is not and obviously has lower standards. In my state subs need a teaching certificate and a college degree, bachelors. There is just no question. Sending people in to sub who don't have any teaching background or training, much less a college degree, is just stupid. You assume the sub can do no teaching, so you are only hiring baby sitters. That is not what my state does.

I

Obviously it is different in different states. My state is in the top ten for best schools, Florida is not and obviously has lower standards. In my state subs need a teaching certificate and a college degree, bachelors. There is just no question. Sending people in to sub who don't have any teaching background or training, much less a college degree, is just stupid. You assume the sub can do no teaching, so you are only hiring baby sitters. That is not what my state does.

Good for you! That doesn't change the facts.

BTW, what state is that, since your location says Spain? Last I checked, Spain was not a state.

Florida is not where I taught for the last ten years. I consider myself retire now since I cannot find a job because I cost them too much money. I have a job interview next week working with veterans.

I

BTW, what state is that, since your location says Spain? Last I checked, Spain was not a state.
I'm retired. It doesn't matter which state. The point is my facts are true for my state. Anyone who doesn't know that each state has it's own education system is quite ignorant. Different budgets, different texts, different requirements for high school graduation, different requirements to pass each year, different requirements for teachers, etc. That is why the US has such a problem with education because each state can set it's own limits, That's something you conservatives think is good, but it is bad: it has created a poor national level of education in public schools.

I have said repeatedly that teaching requirements vary from state to state. Accept it. My facts are correct for where I taught and where I got my education. If you are educated and a teacher as you say, you should be able to absorb this simple concept.

I

I'm retired. It doesn't matter which state. The point is my facts are true for my state. Anyone who doesn't know that each state has it's own education system is quite ignorant. Different budgets, different texts, different requirements for high school graduation, different requirements to pass each year, different requirements for teachers, etc. That is why the US has such a problem with education because each state can set it's own limits, That's something you conservatives think is good, but it is bad: it has created a poor national level of education in public schools.

I have said repeatedly that teaching requirements vary from state to state. Accept it. My facts are correct for where I taught and where I got my education. If you are educated and a teacher as you say, you should be able to absorb this simple concept.

Reread your posts. You simply made blanket statements with no allowances for the different requirements, and you were insulting to boot!

I

Why are you afraid to say what state?

Forum List

Back