The Climate Science Isn't Settled

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
This has got to be one of the better pieces I have read on the subject.

Richard S. Lindzen: The Climate Science Isn't Settled - WSJ.com

Is there a reason to be alarmed by the prospect of global warming? Consider that the measurement used, the globally averaged temperature anomaly (GATA), is always changing. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes down, and occasionally—such as for the last dozen years or so—it does little that can be discerned.

Claims that climate change is accelerating are bizarre. There is general support for the assertion that GATA has increased about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit since the middle of the 19th century. The quality of the data is poor, though, and because the changes are small, it is easy to nudge such data a few tenths of a degree in any direction. Several of the emails from the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit (CRU) that have caused such a public ruckus dealt with how to do this so as to maximize apparent changes.

The general support for warming is based not so much on the quality of the data, but rather on the fact that there was a little ice age from about the 15th to the 19th century. Thus it is not surprising that temperatures should increase as we emerged from this episode. At the same time that we were emerging from the little ice age, the industrial era began, and this was accompanied by increasing emissions of greenhouse gases such as CO2, methane and nitrous oxide. CO2 is the most prominent of these, and it is again generally accepted that it has increased by about 30%.

The defining characteristic of a greenhouse gas is that it is relatively transparent to visible light from the sun but can absorb portions of thermal radiation. In general, the earth balances the incoming solar radiation by emitting thermal radiation, and the presence of greenhouse substances inhibits cooling by thermal radiation and leads to some warming.

That said, the main greenhouse substances in the earth's atmosphere are water vapor and high clouds. Let's refer to these as major greenhouse substances to distinguish them from the anthropogenic minor substances. Even a doubling of CO2 would only upset the original balance between incoming and outgoing radiation by about 2%. This is essentially what is called "climate forcing."

There is general agreement on the above findings. At this point there is no basis for alarm regardless of whether any relation between the observed warming and the observed increase in minor greenhouse gases can be established. Nevertheless, the most publicized claims of the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) deal exactly with whether any relation can be discerned. The failure of the attempts to link the two over the past 20 years bespeaks the weakness of any case for concern.

The IPCC's Scientific Assessments generally consist of about 1,000 pages of text. The Summary for Policymakers is 20 pages. It is, of course, impossible to accurately summarize the 1,000-page assessment in just 20 pages; at the very least, nuances and caveats have to be omitted. However, it has been my experience that even the summary is hardly ever looked at. Rather, the whole report tends to be characterized by a single iconic claim.

The main statement publicized after the last IPCC Scientific Assessment two years ago was that it was likely that most of the warming since 1957 (a point of anomalous cold) was due to man. This claim was based on the weak argument that the current models used by the IPCC couldn't reproduce the warming from about 1978 to 1998 without some forcing, and that the only forcing that they could think of was man. Even this argument assumes that these models adequately deal with natural internal variability—that is, such naturally occurring cycles as El Nino, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, etc.

Yet articles from major modeling centers acknowledged that the failure of these models to anticipate the absence of warming for the past dozen years was due to the failure of these models to account for this natural internal variability. Thus even the basis for the weak IPCC argument for anthropogenic climate change was shown to be false.

Of course, none of the articles stressed this. Rather they emphasized that according to models modified to account for the natural internal variability, warming would resume—in 2009, 2013 and 2030, respectively.

But even if the IPCC's iconic statement were correct, it still would not be cause for alarm. After all we are still talking about tenths of a degree for over 75% of the climate forcing associated with a doubling of CO2. The potential (and only the potential) for alarm enters with the issue of climate sensitivity—which refers to the change that a doubling of CO2 will produce in GATA. It is generally accepted that a doubling of CO2 will only produce a change of about two degrees Fahrenheit if all else is held constant. This is unlikely to be much to worry about.

Yet current climate models predict much higher sensitivities. They do so because in these models, the main greenhouse substances (water vapor and clouds) act to amplify anything that CO2 does. This is referred to as positive feedback. But as the IPCC notes, clouds continue to be a source of major uncertainty in current models. Since clouds and water vapor are intimately related, the IPCC claim that they are more confident about water vapor is quite implausible.

There is some evidence of a positive feedback effect for water vapor in cloud-free regions, but a major part of any water-vapor feedback would have to acknowledge that cloud-free areas are always changing, and this remains an unknown. At this point, few scientists would argue that the science is settled. In particular, the question remains as to whether water vapor and clouds have positive or negative feedbacks.

The notion that the earth's climate is dominated by positive feedbacks is intuitively implausible, and the history of the earth's climate offers some guidance on this matter. About 2.5 billion years ago, the sun was 20%-30% less bright than now (compare this with the 2% perturbation that a doubling of CO2 would produce), and yet the evidence is that the oceans were unfrozen at the time, and that temperatures might not have been very different from today's. Carl Sagan in the 1970s referred to this as the "Early Faint Sun Paradox."

For more than 30 years there have been attempts to resolve the paradox with greenhouse gases. Some have suggested CO2—but the amount needed was thousands of times greater than present levels and incompatible with geological evidence. Methane also proved unlikely. It turns out that increased thin cirrus cloud coverage in the tropics readily resolves the paradox—but only if the clouds constitute a negative feedback. In present terms this means that they would diminish rather than enhance the impact of CO2.

There are quite a few papers in the literature that also point to the absence of positive feedbacks. The implied low sensitivity is entirely compatible with the small warming that has been observed. So how do models with high sensitivity manage to simulate the currently small response to a forcing that is almost as large as a doubling of CO2? Jeff Kiehl notes in a 2007 article from the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the models use another quantity that the IPCC lists as poorly known (namely aerosols) to arbitrarily cancel as much greenhouse warming as needed to match the data, with each model choosing a different degree of cancellation according to the sensitivity of that model.

What does all this have to do with climate catastrophe? The answer brings us to a scandal that is, in my opinion, considerably greater than that implied in the hacked emails from the Climate Research Unit (though perhaps not as bad as their destruction of raw data): namely the suggestion that the very existence of warming or of the greenhouse effect is tantamount to catastrophe. This is the grossest of "bait and switch" scams. It is only such a scam that lends importance to the machinations in the emails designed to nudge temperatures a few tenths of a degree.

The notion that complex climate "catastrophes" are simply a matter of the response of a single number, GATA, to a single forcing, CO2 (or solar forcing for that matter), represents a gigantic step backward in the science of climate. Many disasters associated with warming are simply normal occurrences whose existence is falsely claimed to be evidence of warming. And all these examples involve phenomena that are dependent on the confluence of many factors.

Our perceptions of nature are similarly dragged back centuries so that the normal occasional occurrences of open water in summer over the North Pole, droughts, floods, hurricanes, sea-level variations, etc. are all taken as omens, portending doom due to our sinful ways (as epitomized by our carbon footprint). All of these phenomena depend on the confluence of multiple factors as well.

Consider the following example. Suppose that I leave a box on the floor, and my wife trips on it, falling against my son, who is carrying a carton of eggs, which then fall and break. Our present approach to emissions would be analogous to deciding that the best way to prevent the breakage of eggs would be to outlaw leaving boxes on the floor. The chief difference is that in the case of atmospheric CO2 and climate catastrophe, the chain of inference is longer and less plausible than in my example.

Mr. Lindzen is professor of meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Finally a voice of reason.

Dr. Richard S. Lindzen ( b. February 8, 1940) is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He is one of the leading global warming skeptics and is a member of the Science, Health, and Economic Advisory Council, of the Annapolis Center, a Maryland-based think tank which has been funded by corporations including ExxonMobil.

Ross Gelbspan, journalist and author, wrote a 1995 article in Harper's Magazine which was critical of Lindzen and other global warming skeptics. In the article, Gelbspan reports Lindzen charged "oil and coal interests $2,500 a day for his consulting services; [and] his 1991 trip to testify before a Senate committee was paid for by Western Fuels and a speech he wrote, entitled 'Global Warming: the Origin and Nature of Alleged Scientific Consensus,' was underwritten by OPEC."

Views on health risks of smoking

Lindzen has claimed that the risks of smoking, including passive smoking, may be overstated. In 2001, Newsweek journalist Fred Guterl reported, after an interview with Lindzen, "Lindzen clearly relishes the role of naysayer. He'll even expound on how weakly lung cancer is linked to cigarette smoking. He speaks in full, impeccably logical paragraphs, and he punctuates his measured cadences with thoughtful drags on a cigarette."

Wiki, sourcewatch

yeah and your heroes destroy raw data

let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that

Prostituting one's credentials is far more lucrative than engaging in real research. Scratch most of the present Denialists, and under the surface you find someone who whored for the tobacco companies in the past. Lindzen and Singer are especially prominent in this regard.

Researching global warming skeptics - SourceWatch

Why document the skeptics?
All too commonly, media consumers are given scant background information on who they are, their scientific credentials (if any), any ties they have to corporate funded think tanks or past claims they have made that were incorrect. Some were defenders of the tobacco industry when they were affiliated with think tanks the tobacco companies funded. Some of these have now moved on to be deniers of global warming with think tanks that have been or are funded by fossil fuel companies such as Exxon. Not surprisingly, connections such as these are rarely included in the promotional materials circulated by the skeptics or groups such as the Heartland Institute.

Just as commonly, skeptics who aren't affiliated with think tanks make a lot of noise disputing scientific information that is outside their expertise. Even where they do have real climate science credentials they often champion claims rejected by the overwhelming bulk of climate scientists within that discipline.

Having a well rounded and documented page on the leading skeptics in SourceWatch can be a powerful antidote to the often limited disclosure statements of the individuals and think tanks disputing global warming. Within a short period, SourceWatch pages will float to the top of Google rankings and allow citizens and journalists to get the best synthesis of information available in the individual.

Gee, here I thought I was bringing you good news Skull...Lindzen doesn't believe that cig is gonna kill you...

Maybe you should edit your comment...

"Finally a voice of ExxonMobil and OPEC"

Gee, here I thought I was bringing you good news Skull...Lindzen doesn't believe that cig is gonna kill you...

what's cigarette smoke got to do with anything?

Proof of which is? And show where this data was not replicated by data in other places.

I remember a time when skepticism was the hallmark of science.

there seems to be some disagreement on the data does there not?

Seriously doesn't common sense tell you that 150 years of recorded data where the older data must be considered less accurate due to technological advances along with guesstimated data from extrapolations from a few ice cores and tree rings just does not seem sufficient to start screaming that the sky is falling?

That there was even the appearance of scientific impropriety should give us all pause. But the true believers will not waver in their nearly religious end of the world beliefs.

the science is not settled.

Some were defenders of the tobacco industry when they were affiliated with think tanks the tobacco companies funded. Some of these have now moved on to be deniers of global warming with think tanks that have been or are funded by fossil fuel companies such as Exxon.

Hello? Why are we arguing with an empty skull...:eek: ?

Some were defenders of the tobacco industry when they were affiliated with think tanks the tobacco companies funded. Some of these have now moved on to be deniers of global warming with think tanks that have been or are funded by fossil fuel companies such as Exxon.

OHHHHH

i get it the tobacco industry is responsible for global warming.

Does the fact that many of your heroes are funded by the government bother you as much as those funded by Exxon.

the government has an agenda too you know. Specifically to declare global warming some sort of emergency so as to impose more taxes and controls on us.

Follow the money honey. those that didn't give the results governments wanted to hear didn't get more funding did they?

OHHHHH

Does the fact that many of your heroes are funded by the government bother you as much as those funded by Exxon.

the government has an agenda too you know. Specifically to declare global warming some sort of emergency so as to impose more taxes and controls on us.

Follow the money honey. those that didn't give the results governments wanted to hear didn't get more funding did they?

Yea Skull, it reminds me of when I was a little boy and dad took us for a Sunday drive. One Sunday we drove through a neighborhood full of huge mansions; so I asked him, 'dad, who lives here?'

He said: 'climate scientists, son'

I said: 'but dad, then why do they live in tents and shacks in the Artic and spend months and years there?'

He said: 'to throw us off'

OHHHHH

Yea Skull, it reminds me of when I was a little boy and dad took us for a Sunday drive. One Sunday we drove through a neighborhood full of huge mansions; so I asked him, 'dad, who lives here?'

I said: 'but dad, then why do they live in tents and shacks in the Artic and spend months and years there?'

what's that non sequitur got to do with government funding?

OHHHHH

It has to do with UNDERSTANDING the $$$$$...

BTW Skull...WHAT government...the Jim Inhofe Republicans want to hear global warming is a hoax...OR the Barbara Boxer Democrats that want to know the truth?

Prostituting one's credentials is far more lucrative than engaging in real research. Scratch most of the present Denialists, and under the surface you find someone who whored for the tobacco companies in the past. Lindzen and Singer are especially prominent in this regard.

Researching global warming skeptics - SourceWatch

Why document the skeptics?
All too commonly, media consumers are given scant background information on who they are, their scientific credentials (if any), any ties they have to corporate funded think tanks or past claims they have made that were incorrect. Some were defenders of the tobacco industry when they were affiliated with think tanks the tobacco companies funded. Some of these have now moved on to be deniers of global warming with think tanks that have been or are funded by fossil fuel companies such as Exxon. Not surprisingly, connections such as these are rarely included in the promotional materials circulated by the skeptics or groups such as the Heartland Institute.

Just as commonly, skeptics who aren't affiliated with think tanks make a lot of noise disputing scientific information that is outside their expertise. Even where they do have real climate science credentials they often champion claims rejected by the overwhelming bulk of climate scientists within that discipline.

Having a well rounded and documented page on the leading skeptics in SourceWatch can be a powerful antidote to the often limited disclosure statements of the individuals and think tanks disputing global warming. Within a short period, SourceWatch pages will float to the top of Google rankings and allow citizens and journalists to get the best synthesis of information available in the individual.

You continuously attack the man rather than the idea. You also quote second hand sources instead of the actual words that you refer to. This is hack science and you should know it. Source Watch is a Left leaning source and as such is agenda driven.

Going to the source of the conjecture:

Here is the email address of Lindzen at MIT.

Richard S. Lindzen

Your refereance is based on an off hand referance from a Newsweek interview. C'mon!

Richard Lindzen

Consulting fees and Funding sources of other organizations

According to Ross GelbspanRoss GelbspanRoss Gelbspan is an American writer and activist. He has written two books relating to global warming-- The Heat Is On and Boiling Point . The Heat Is On received national attention when President Bill Clinton told the press he was reading it. Boiling Point was the subject of the lead review in...
in a 1995 article in Harper's Magazine, Lindzen "... charges oil and coal interests $2,500 a day for his consulting services; his 1991 trip to testify before a Senate committee was paid for by Western FuelsWestern Fuels AssociationThe Western Fuels Association is a not-for profit cooperative that supplies coal and transportation services to consumer-owned electric utility in the Great Plains, Rocky Mountain and Southwest regions. It is based in Westminster, Colorado.-Controversy:...
and a speech he wrote, entitled Global Warming: the Origin and Nature of Alleged Scientific Consensus, was underwritten by OPECOPECThe Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries is a cartel of twelve countries made up of Algeria, Angola, Ecuador, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela. OPEC has maintained its headquarters in Vienna since 1965, and hosts regular...
." However, according to Alex BeamAlex BeamAlex Beam is an American writer and journalist, currently a columnist for The Boston Globe.Beam grew up in Washington, D.C., as his father Jacob D. Beam was a diplomat. Beam attended Phillips Exeter Academy, where he was Foreign Correspondent for the twice-weekly school newspaper, The Exonian, and...
in a 2006 article in the The Boston GlobeThe Boston GlobeThe Boston Globe is an American daily newspaper based in Boston, Massachusetts. The Globe has been owned by The New York Times Company since 1993. Its chief print rival is the Boston Herald....
, Lindzen said that although he had accepted $10,000 in expenses and expert witness fees from "fossil-fuel types" in the 1990s, he had not received any money from these since. Lindzen has elsewhere described the Gelbspan allegation as a "slander" and as "libelous."

It might be nice to update your attack literature to reflect the world of today...

As a pure science, climatology ranks between palmistry and phrenology yet they have the audacity to claim AGW as "Settled Science"

The Warmers are their own worst enemy

BTW Skull...WHAT government...the Jim Inhofe Republicans want to hear global warming is a hoax...OR the Barbara Boxer Democrats that want to know the truth?

See "truth" to you means what exactly?

when there are obvious reasons to be concerned about the conduct of these so called scientists, you still believe they are to be believed?

that ain't truth, that's faith and GW is just another religion to many.

See "truth" to you means what exactly?

when there are obvious reasons to be concerned about the conduct of these so called scientists, you still believe they are to be believed?

that ain't truth, that's faith and GW is just another religion to many.

So the "truth" to you is that the actions of a few scientists tells you all you need to know about ALL scientists?

How about the actions of the American Petroleum Institute Skull, does THAT concern you?

Questioning global warming

An API "Communications Action Plan" from 1998 stated:

"Victory will be achieved when ... citizens 'understand' uncertainties in climate science ... [and] recognition of uncertainties becomes part of the 'conventional wisdom.'"

and

"Unless "climate change" becomes a non-issue, meaning that the Kyoto proposal is defeated and there are no further initiatives to thwart the threat of climate change, there may be no moment when we can declare victory for our efforts. It will be necessary to establish measurements for the science effort to track progress toward achieving the goal and strategic success."

Concerns about API-funded research

In April 2005, it was reported that API was overseeing a $27 million study on the health effects of benzene, funded by the major oil companies BP, Chevron Texaco, ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil and Shell Chemical. The study was launched in 2001, in response to a National Cancer Institute study that found "workers exposed to average levels of benzene had a risk of developing non-Hodgkin's lymphoma more than four times greater than the general population." A follow-up NCI study, published in 2005, found that "benzene had toxic effects on blood cells at 1 part per million - the level workers in the United States are allowed to be exposed to over an eight-hour workday." Benzene is a component of gasoline, so oil companies were concerned that tighter benzene regulations would affect their operations.

Although the API research wouldn't be complete until 2007, information from "depositions, proposals to oil companies and other documents collected by a Houston law firm in unrelated lawsuits" suggests that "the results of the study already have been predicted." The Houston Chronicle reported, "The conclusions are expected to contradict earlier research linking low- and mid-levels of benzene to cancers and other blood diseases - findings that could spawn tighter regulations."

sourcewatch

The American Petroleum Institute does not pretend to be performing science!

Phil Jones should have formed the East Anglia ManMade Global Warming Institute and at least been honest about it.

The American Petroleum Institute does not pretend to be performing science!

Phil Jones should have formed the East Anglia ManMade Global Warming Institute and at least been honest about it.

Monday, June 2, 2003

Foes of global warming theory have energy ties

By JEFF NESMITH
COX NEWS SERVICE

WASHINGTON -- Non-profit organizations with ties to energy interests are promoting a controversial new study as proof that prevailing views of global warming are wrong.

The scientists who wrote the study contend that the global warming of recent decades is not without precedent during the past 1,000 years, as other scientists have claimed. In fact, they say the Earth was even warmer during what is known as the "medieval warm period" between A.D. 900 and 1300.

The paper has touched off a worldwide storm of e-mail among climate scientists, some of whom have proposed organizing a research boycott of two journals that published the study.

The links among authors of the new study, the non-profit groups and the energy interests illustrate a three-way intersection of money, science and policy. Energy interests underwrote the study and help finance the groups that are promoting it.

The study also illustrates a strategy adopted by some energy companies in the late 1980s to attack the credibility of climate science, said John Topping, president of the Climate Institute and a former Republican congressional staffer who founded the institute in 1986.

By relying on the news media's inclination to include both sides of a story, the industries were able to create the impression that scientists were deeply divided over climate change, Topping said. "It was all very shrewdly done," he said.

The institute, which takes the position that climate change threatens the global environment, promotes international cooperation to address the issue. Less than 1 percent of its funding has come from oil industry sources, Topping said, with the rest coming from foundations.

Most climate scientists think the rise in global climate -- largely stable until the late 1980s, they say -- results from the atmospheric buildup of heat-trapping "greenhouse gases," especially carbon dioxide released by the combustion of fossil fuels. Industry-backed groups claim their study challenges the validity of this view by presenting evidence of global warming when fossil fuels were not being burned in appreciable quantities.

The study, "Reconstructing Climatic and Environmental Changes of the Past 1,000 Years: A Reappraisal," was published several weeks ago in a British scientific journal, Energy and Environment. The authors contend in the 65-page paper that their reanalysis of data from more than 200 climate studies provides evidence of global temperature shifts that are more dramatic than the current one.

The research was underwritten by the American Petroleum Institute, the trade association of the world's largest oil companies. Two of the five authors are scientists who have been linked to the coal industry and have received support from the ExxonMobil Foundation. Two others, who are affiliated with the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, also have the title of "senior scientists" with a Washington-based organization supported by ExxonMobil Corp.

The organization, the George T. Marshall Institute, is headed by William O'Keefe, a former executive of the American Petroleum Institute. He also was at one time the president of the Global Climate Coalition, a now-defunct organization created by oil and coal interests to lobby against U.S. participation in climate treaties, such as the Kyoto Protocol.

"Statements made about the warming trend of the 20th century and the 1990s do not withstand close scrutiny," O'Keefe said at a luncheon for study author Willie Soon, a physicist and astronomer with the Harvard-Smithsonian Center, to present a summary of the new research.

Major news organizations did not publish a Harvard-Smithsonian Center news release that declared that the scientists "determined" that the warming trend is neither the hottest nor the most dramatic change in the past 1,000 years. But it was picked up by the Discovery Channel Online.

That article was copied and distributed by the staff of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, headed by Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., a climate-change skeptic.

Forum List

Back