The Civil War, by Ken Burns.

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
It’s on PBS here tonight (first episode). I noticed that Nationally PBS will run the same programs afew days apart maybe. Watch for this, especially if you’ve never seen it. It has to be the most accurate well done piece ever done on the CW. Every child should watch it. IMO

*Damn summer homework*
:)

Mr. P said:
It’s on PBS here tonight (first episode). I noticed that Nationally PBS will run the same programs afew days apart maybe. Watch for this, especially if you’ve never seen it. It has to be the most accurate well done piece ever done on the CW. Every child should watch it. IMO

*Damn summer homework*
:)

Depends. Is it the "Damned Yankee" revisionist version?

Watched the whole thing as part of my American History class. It's so well done, it's crazy. The music sets the true mood of the War Between the States as a sad and solemn event in American History, not the damn Yankee version of being a happy victory over the backwards white slaveowners. Then there's the pictures. If I remember correctly, there are no re-enactment scenes (I could be wrong). It's all still pictures, filmed in such a way that you forget they're still.

GunnyL said:
:rotflmao:

Just askin' .....jeez.

I must've missed it. Bob Dylan was on when turned to PBS. I had to hurry and change it again before my eardrums burst.
NP..:)

It really is excellent, Gunny. If you’ve never seen it watch for it.
You won’t be disappointed.

Mr. P said:
NP..:)

It really is excellent, Gunny. If you’ve never seen it watch for it.
You won’t be disappointed.

I probably already have. I'm very much a Civil War buff. Got a pretty nice library. Seen most everything The History Channel and PBS have to offer on the topic. Hell, I even have the most naive and silly book on the US Civil War by Winston Churchill, no less. I say that, but in reality, it gives a very good perspective of how the war was viewed by someone other than a Northerner or Southerner.

I'll check it out and see when it's on again.

GunnyL said:
I probably already have. I'm very much a Civil War buff. Got a pretty nice library. Seen most everything The History Channel and PBS have to offer on the topic. Hell, I even have the most naive and silly book on the US Civil War by Winston Churchill, no less. I say that, but in reality, it gives a very good perspective of how the war was viewed by someone other than a Northerner or Southerner.

I'll check it out and see when it's on again.
It's out on DVD, my guess is that the public libraries will have it. I'm checking tomorrow.

My whole family would gather around the TV for each installment when it came out. I was just a kid at the time. I have since seen a few of the episodes again. Very well done.

Ken Burns does not know how to make a bad documentary.

1549 said:
My whole family would gather around the TV for each installment when it came out. I was just a kid at the time. I have since seen a few of the episodes again. Very well done.

Ken Burns does not know how to make a bad documentary.
Did you know it took six years to make. The guy is serious about his work.

Abbey Normal said:
I have a relative who worked on this series with Ken Burns (and the Baseball one as well). As you might imagine, she says he is a perfectionist.
I'll bet he is! I'll bet she used other terms too....NO?:)

Forum List

Back