The City of Detroit

Interesting, Two Thumbs. So happens, I think the auto industry owes the City of Detroit, just as I do the steel industry owes Cleveland. Putting the touch on them won't solve everything, but allowing them to exploit the area and then walk isn't helpful either.

HAHAHA

The city of Bethlehem PA THRIVES w/o the steel mills. The unions are DEAD here. We have art, music, parades, colleges, etc, etc. A thriving little Star in the middle of a rust belt waste land. It's so nice here people from NYC are starting to move nearby.

One industry moves on, you can weep over the lose or suck it up, be a man, and make the most of what you got.

Okie dokie, then explain what the keys to success are, Two Thumbs. The Op is how to help Detroit and it sounds as if you know...so enlighten us.

But not as dangerous as Mexico

Detroit has alot of problems, I hear they have whole neighborhoods of abandoned houses, crime is rampant and the city is broke. But than again that sounds like nearly every other major city these days.:(

Yes, it describes Cleveland, that's for sure.

I hear its bad in Cleveland right now, I just don't get how we can give billions of dollars to countries like Egypt and Pakistan while our own cities are rotting from the inside out.:doubt:

Detroit has alot of problems, I hear they have whole neighborhoods of abandoned houses, crime is rampant and the city is broke. But than again that sounds like nearly every other major city these days.:(

Yes, it describes Cleveland, that's for sure.

I hear its bad in Cleveland right now, I just don't get how we can give billions of dollars to countries like Egypt and Pakistan while our own cities are rotting from the inside out.:doubt:

Amen.

I hear its bad in Cleveland right now, I just don't get how we can give billions of dollars to countries like Egypt and Pakistan while our own cities are rotting from the inside out.

Don't forget the billions we give to Israel for no reason whatsoever.

For people with brains ... political party doesn't have shit to do with Detroit's losses .. but being totally dependent on the auto industry has everything to do with it.

I grew up there, and there is nowhere else on the planet I would have rather grown up. A fascinating city before the end of the American auto industry. Millions of Americans migrated there for jobs and opportunity.

Why stop at Detroit? .. the entire state of Michigan is going through the same losses .. abd Michigan has had its share of democratic AND REPUBLICAN administrations.

Been to Ohio lately?

Been to MIssissippi? Completely republican, completely failed.

Silly thread.

Last edited:
For people with brains ... political party doesn't have shit to do with Detroit's losses .. but being totally dependent on the auto industry has everything to do with it.

I grew up there, and there is nowhere else on the planet I would have rather grown up. A fascinating city before the end of the American auto industry. Millions of Americans migrated there for jobs and opportunity.

Why stop at Detroit? .. the entire state of Michigan is going through the same losses .. abd Michigan has had its share of democratic AND REPUBLICAN administrations.

Been to Ohio lately?

Silly thread.
I have a bit of experience with the city having lived there from the late 80s to 2003 almost continually. The city has been dying since White Flight. Even back in the 90s when the auto industry was booming, the city was crumbling. Coleman Young did the city no favors alienating the 'burbs, either. Archer was feckless because he refused to play into the network of corruption Young established.

In the late 80s and all of the 90s, the only persons out and about in the city after 5:30 PM were the residents who stayed in their houses, criminals, and cops, for the most part.

And the residents of Detroit voted these folks into office.

Last edited:

Been to Ohio lately?

Silly thread.

You're right.

How about we just blame the real people responsible? The people themselves.

Eliminate corruption in the hearts of the people and you will see the city flourish no matter who has power.

Blaming the poor for their own poverty seems to be popular just now, but it is no more fair to do so than it ever was. BTW, I lived in Detroit in the late 1970's, Avatar. IMO, good people live there just as live anywhere.

Care to climb down off your high horse now?

If no one is willing to take responsibility for their own lives, why should anyone else do so?

It isn't about blaming the poor. It's about taking responsibility for yourself instead of blaming everyone else.

You can blame Democrats/Republicans/Rich/Evil Corporations. Anyone you can think of. But blaming them isnt going to fix anything. The only person you can hold responsible for your own life is yourself. Trying to blame others will be a fruitless venture that will only make you miserable because it will keep you where you always at.

Oh I don't know...NAFTA and the "big move" to offshore manufacturing just miiiight have had something to do with Detroits condition.

Last time I was in Detroit was...about 1998 I believe.
Surreal...entire neighborhoods abandoned...rows of white -washed windows. It was unreal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02x8EHXPfB0&feature=related[/ame]

money isn't the issue. Character is.

We need people working hard. Not sitting around waiting for jobs, but getting out and taking initiative.

We need people being honest. Keeping their word. Eliminating corruption in their lives.

We need people willing toe ducate themselves and each other.

In essence, we need people taking personal responsibility for themselves. Everyone wants to blame someone else. Everyone wants someone else to fix the problems in their life. If there is a problem in your life, Fix it yourself. Then work on the problems in your family.

We blame the government, but who elected the government? The people. The problem isnt with the government. its with the people who elect the government. If you fix the people, you will fix the government. But that requires that people stand up and work.

Interesting, Two Thumbs. So happens, I think the auto industry owes the City of Detroit, just as I do the steel industry owes Cleveland. Putting the touch on them won't solve everything, but allowing them to exploit the area and then walk isn't helpful either.

HAHAHA

The city of Bethlehem PA THRIVES w/o the steel mills. The unions are DEAD here. We have art, music, parades, colleges, etc, etc. A thriving little Star in the middle of a rust belt waste land. It's so nice here people from NYC are starting to move nearby.

One industry moves on, you can weep over the lose or suck it up, be a man, and make the most of what you got.

Okie dokie, then explain what the keys to success are, Two Thumbs. The Op is how to help Detroit and it sounds as if you know...so enlighten us.

First, get over it.
second help your neighbors get over it.
Close everything that supported it, and don't look back.

look around. What else do you do well?, what else can you do?

we sponsered art, there are some crazy looking things around our town.
We probably have the most small colleges around. We made it a nice place for students to come
We have a Musicfest that is a week long money sponge.

Almost no unions, and little in the way of poverty. Our "bad part of town" is nicer than most regualar parts of other towns.

don't look at what was and weep, honor it, but look ahead.

We are Americans, WE built the shining star on the horizon, WE built the country that people risk certain death to come to. WE can re-build our cities. And WE will.

And here in Pittsburgh, we have had Democrats in the majority of elected positions forever too. The mayoral election isn't decided in November, it's decided in May during the primary. No Republican can win here.

We were totally dependent on the steel industry. It's now gone to Asia thanks to "Free" trade policies. No longer can we produce a strategic material like steel because the Republicans (Ronald Reagan) decided it's more important to make sure corporations make even larger profits than families make a living.

And yet, with Republican destructive policies tearing our community asunder, we have survived and thrived.

:lol::lol:

Been to Ohio lately?

Silly thread.
I have a bit of experience with the city having lived there from the late 80s to 2003 almost continually. The city has been dying since White Flight. Even back in the 90s when the auto industry was booming, the city was crumbling. Coleman Young did the city no favors alienating the 'burbs, either. Archer was feckless because he refused to play into the network of corruption Young established.

In the late 80s and all of the 90s, the only persons out and about in the city after 5:30 PM were the residents who stayed in their houses, criminals, and cops, for the most part.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Whites have been leaving Detroit since the 70's and they picked up the pace when blacks took control of the city. Didn't have anything to do with Coleman .. had everything to do with black people taking control of the city.

Detroit was doing just fine without being a majority white city as long as the auto industry was still hiring and employing people.

Did Coleman trash the entire state of Michigan? Are you somehow unaware of similar problems that affect the entire state?

Are you unaware that whites in Michigan and elsewhere are in the same boat and suffering from inemployment just like everybody else?

And here in Pittsburgh, we have had Democrats in the majority of elected positions forever too. The mayoral election isn't decided in November, it's decided in May during the primary. No Republican can win here.

We were totally dependent on the steel industry. It's now gone to Asia thanks to "Free" trade policies. No longer can we produce a strategic material like steel because the Republicans (Ronald Reagan) decided it's more important to make sure corporations make even larger profits than families make a living.

And yet, with Republican destructive policies tearing our community asunder, we have survived and thrived.

These free trade policies have been in place for over 25 years.
Democrats and Republicans have done nothing to change it.

If WWIII did come, we would be unable to manufacture our own military.

:lol::lol:

Been to Ohio lately?

Silly thread.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Whites have been leaving Detroit since the 70's and they picked up the pace when blacks took control of the city. Didn't have anything to do with Coleman .. had everything to do with black people taking control of the city.

Detroit was doing just fine without being a majority white city as long as the auto industry was still hiring and employing people.

Did Coleman trash the entire state of Michigan? Are you somehow unaware of similar problems that affect the entire state?

Are you unaware that whites in Michigan and elsewhere are in the same boat and suffering from inemployment just like everybody else?
Really? Detroit was doing fine while the auto industry was booming?

I wonder why their population kept going down, then.

I wonder why that decrease in population causing less federal support was so tragic for a municipality that was supposed to be healthy - as in being able to support itself. It couldn't and it can't.

I wonder why there was so much fodder (abandonded houses) for Devil's Night for so many years.

Detroit elected corruption and Detroit reaped the consequences of it.

It's been dying for decades. The 'burbs, not so much until the auto industry failure. Now the entire region is a failure. The auto industry failure is the last breath for a city struggling to survive a sucking chest wound for decades.

Last edited:

These free trade policies have been in place for over 25 years.
Democrats and Republicans have done nothing to change it.

If WWIII did come, we would be unable to manufacture our own military.
I know! The policies started back in the 1980s (the worst decade of the second half of the 20th century)

money isn't the issue. Character is.

We need people working hard. Not sitting around waiting for jobs, but getting out and taking initiative.

We need people being honest. Keeping their word. Eliminating corruption in their lives.

We need people willing toe ducate themselves and each other.

In essence, we need people taking personal responsibility for themselves. Everyone wants to blame someone else. Everyone wants someone else to fix the problems in their life. If there is a problem in your life, Fix it yourself. Then work on the problems in your family.

We blame the government, but who elected the government? The people. The problem isnt with the government. its with the people who elect the government. If you fix the people, you will fix the government. But that requires that people stand up and work.

I understand that but the unemployment rates in cities like Cleveland and Detroit are very high, do you think people in those cities want to be poor?

Forum List

Back