The Christmas Truce

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Christmas Truce of 1914

During World War I, on and around Christmas Day 1914, the sounds of rifles firing and shells exploding faded in a number of places along the Western Front in favor of holiday celebrations in the trenches and gestures of goodwill between enemies.

Starting on Christmas Eve, many German and British troops sang Christmas carols to each other across the lines, and at certain points the Allied soldiers even heard brass bands joining the Germans in their joyous singing.

At the first light of dawn on Christmas Day, some German soldiers emerged from their trenches and approached the Allied lines across no-man's-land, calling out "Merry Christmas" in their enemies' native tongues. At first, the Allied soldiers feared it was a trick, but seeing the Germans unarmed they climbed out of their trenches and shook hands with the enemy soldiers. The men exchanged presents of cigarettes and plum puddings and sang carols and songs. There was even a documented case of soldiers from opposing sides playing a good-natured game of soccer.

Some soldiers used this short-lived ceasefire for a more somber task: the retrieval of the bodies of fellow combatants who had fallen within the no-man's land between the lines.

The so-called Christmas Truce of 1914 came only five months after the outbreak of war in Europe and was one of the last examples of the outdated notion of chivalry between enemies in warfare. It was never repeated—future attempts at holiday ceasefires were quashed by officers' threats of disciplinary action—but it served as heartening proof, however brief, that beneath the brutal clash of weapons, the soldiers' essential humanity endured.

Christmas Truce of 1914 - History.com - World War I

I have, on at least one occasion, albeit a long while back, railed about the lack of civility on this and other message boards. Though I myself am not a perfect example, I do my best to be civil and lighthearted when discussing the weighty issues in today's political atmosphere and respect the views of others.

We are all, for the most part, Americans first, I hope, and members of a political party second. Sure, there are a few members from other countries, and I do not wish to exclude them. Their contributions frequently add a helpful perspective we would not have to the issues we argue the most. Sometimes it is easier to see things clearly when looking in rather than out.

The truth is, we all want what is best for our respective countries, we just do not always agree on what that is or how to get there. These fundamental differences lend themselves to the heated debates we see here and any other political message board we may visit. More often than not, these debates spiral down into downright nastiness and hate.

All this being said, I am not suggesting that we change our ways, that would bear no fruit as I have learned. But perhaps, just maybe, we could call a "Christmas Truce." In the spirit of the season. I believe that almost all of us are good hearted people, even if some are a bit bullheaded in their opinions. I think it could be done.

If the British and Germans could do it just five short months into World War I, why can't we?

A Merry Christmas to you all, may the season keep you and yours safe and warm.

I think the movie you're referring to is JOYEUX NOEL <Merry Christmas> which is a great movie.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5iDz8Ul_AQ[/ame]

Last edited:
Christmas Truce of 1914

During World War I, on and around Christmas Day 1914, the sounds of rifles firing and shells exploding faded in a number of places along the Western Front in favor of holiday celebrations in the trenches and gestures of goodwill between enemies.

Starting on Christmas Eve, many German and British troops sang Christmas carols to each other across the lines, and at certain points the Allied soldiers even heard brass bands joining the Germans in their joyous singing.

At the first light of dawn on Christmas Day, some German soldiers emerged from their trenches and approached the Allied lines across no-man's-land, calling out "Merry Christmas" in their enemies' native tongues. At first, the Allied soldiers feared it was a trick, but seeing the Germans unarmed they climbed out of their trenches and shook hands with the enemy soldiers. The men exchanged presents of cigarettes and plum puddings and sang carols and songs. There was even a documented case of soldiers from opposing sides playing a good-natured game of soccer.

Some soldiers used this short-lived ceasefire for a more somber task: the retrieval of the bodies of fellow combatants who had fallen within the no-man's land between the lines.

The so-called Christmas Truce of 1914 came only five months after the outbreak of war in Europe and was one of the last examples of the outdated notion of chivalry between enemies in warfare. It was never repeated—future attempts at holiday ceasefires were quashed by officers' threats of disciplinary action—but it served as heartening proof, however brief, that beneath the brutal clash of weapons, the soldiers' essential humanity endured.

Christmas Truce of 1914 - History.com - World War I

I have, on at least one occasion, albeit a long while back, railed about the lack of civility on this and other message boards. Though I myself am not a perfect example, I do my best to be civil and lighthearted when discussing the weighty issues in today's political atmosphere and respect the views of others.

We are all, for the most part, Americans first, I hope, and members of a political party second. Sure, there are a few members from other countries, and I do not wish to exclude them. Their contributions frequently add a helpful perspective we would not have to the issues we argue the most. Sometimes it is easier to see things clearly when looking in rather than out.

The truth is, we all want what is best for our respective countries, we just do not always agree on what that is or how to get there. These fundamental differences lend themselves to the heated debates we see here and any other political message board we may visit. More often than not, these debates spiral down into downright nastiness and hate.

All this being said, I am not suggesting that we change our ways, that would bear no fruit as I have learned. But perhaps, just maybe, we could call a "Christmas Truce." In the spirit of the season. I believe that almost all of us are good hearted people, even if some are a bit bullheaded in their opinions. I think it could be done.

If the British and Germans could do it just five short months into World War I, why can't we?

A Merry Christmas to you all, may the season keep you and yours safe and warm.

What he said :)

Notice though it was the LAST time they did it. There is a reason for that. And the problem of civility is not from the right. It is the left claiming over and over " we won, you lost, so shut up!" or " we won, you have no voice."

And watch as soon as the Republicans do gain a majority again the left will be whining how THEY are being mistreated.

Forum List

Back