The choice of stupidity

Are you familiar with the comedic art form known as parody? Sometimes it's actually a kinder, gentler way to get your point across.
I blush at the compliment.

I suppose some posters understood where I was going with this thread, but taken on its own it would be considered, well, STUPID!

:lol:

Stupid is a word and as such has no meaning outside the context of use. It is one of those eye of the beholder kinds of thing. I'm sure the stupidest person would not agree they were stupid assuming they understand the use of stupid. And nobody chooses to be stupid, is Forrest Gump stupid? In America there is a strange paradox that while no want to be called stupid; no one wants to be smart either as that is considered elitist or too educated.

How is it too we differ between ignorance and stupidity? Are they the same thing? I was thinking of other threads and I would say that anyone who can seriously listen to Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck would be stupid in my world. Their simplistic jingoism is painful to listen to, but are the listeners stupid or ignorant, does it matter.

Ignorance and stupidity are the same thing.

Stupid is a word and as such has no meaning outside the context of use. It is one of those eye of the beholder kinds of thing. I'm sure the stupidest person would not agree they were stupid assuming they understand the use of stupid. And nobody chooses to be stupid, is Forrest Gump stupid? In America there is a strange paradox that while no want to be called stupid; no one wants to be smart either as that is considered elitist or too educated.

How is it too we differ between ignorance and stupidity? Are they the same thing? I was thinking of other threads and I would say that anyone who can seriously listen to Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck would be stupid in my world. Their simplistic jingoism is painful to listen to, but are the listeners stupid or ignorant, does it matter.

what an ignorant thing to say; they're not even close.

They are exactly the same thing. In your case, del, I'd call you an ignoramus. Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an asshole. ~Author unknown

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. ~William G. McAdoo

Last edited:

Ignorance and stupidity are not even remotely close to the same thing. Where did you go to school?

For the ignorant:

1stu·pid
Pronunciation:
\ˈstü-pəd, ˈstyü-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stupēre to be numb, be astonished — more at type
Date:
1 a: slow of mind : obtuse b: given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c: lacking intelligence or reason : brutish2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>4 a: lacking interest or point <a stupid event> b: vexatious , exasperating <the stupid car won't start>

Main Entry:
ig·no·rant
Pronunciation:
\&#712;ig-n(&#601;-)r&#601;nt\
Function:
adjective
Date:
14th century
1 a: destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society> ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b: resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>2: unaware , uninformed

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, of course. Stupid people can be knowledgable and geniuses can be ignorant.

They are exactly the same thing. In your case, del, I'd call you an ignoramus. Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an asshole. ~Author unknown

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. ~William G. McAdoo

and you'd be, as usual, wrong.
ignorance is a lack of knowledge. stupidity is a lack of intelligence.
just because you show both traits doesn't make them the same or even equivalent.

keep swinging though. it's amusing in a pitiable sort of way.

$vote-stupid-obama.gif

Ignorance is the root of suffering. It has nothing to do with a lack of intelligence. Ignorance and stupidity are terms that can be used interchangeably. They both denote a lack of wisdom.

Ignorance is simply not knowing. Stupidity is a form of dullness, which comes from not using the mind. It's a kind of deliberate cultivation of ignorance.

The OP is right. Stupidity is a choice. Ignorance may not be a choice. It can be a blind spot--something difficult to see in yourself or it can be cultivated. A refusal to open the mind to any other possibilities.

Last edited:
What's really bad is when you are both stupid and ignorant because then you are too stupid to stop being ignorant and too ignorant to stop being stupid.

Ignorance is the root of suffering. It has nothing to do with a lack of intelligence. Ignorance and stupidity are terms that can be used interchangeably. They both denote a lack of wisdom.

Ignorance is simply not knowing. Stupidity is a form of dullness, which comes from not using the mind. It's a kind of deliberate cultivation of ignorance.

The OP is right. Stupidity is a choice. Ignorance may not be a choice. It can be a blind spot--something difficult to see in yourself or it can be cultivated. A refusal to open the mind to any other possibilities.

careful!

you're dripping irony on the other posts.

careful!

What other possibilities would you like me to consider in this topic?

careful!

What other possibilities would you like me to consider in this topic?

the one where you're still completely wrong by 180 degrees.
because you are.
buy a dictionary.

That's an incredible stupid answer. I invited you to debate a topic- any topic. Outline some view that you want to debate.

That's an incredible stupid answer. I invited you to debate a topic- any topic. Outline some view that you want to debate.

sorry, i don't debate the ignorant nor the stupid, at least not intentionally.

have a lovely day.

Perfect example of your status as an ignoramus. Shove your grudge up your ass.

honey, you'd have to matter for me to have a grudge.
have a friend help you with the math.

sorry, i don't debate the ignorant nor the stupid, at least not intentionally.

have a lovely day.

Perfect example of your status as an ignoramus. Shove your grudge up your ass.

honey, you'd have to matter for me to have a grudge.
have a friend help you with the math.

Hey, no problem. Stop posting to me. I'm more than happy to never get another response from you in my lifetime.

Forum List

Back