The chilling effect of violence on politics

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
44 - Some Arizona Republican party officials resign after Tucson shooting

Some Arizona Republican party officials resign after Tucson shooting
By Emi Kolawole
While federal lawmakers debate how best to increase safety for themselves and their staff, some Arizona Republican party officials are choosing to leave office in the face of threats.

A conflict that has been going on between local Arizona Republicans came to an end in the wake of the shooting in Tucson on Saturday when Arizona's Republican District 20 Chairman Anthony Miller and several others chose to resign.

The Arizona Republic reports that Miller, 43, a former campaign worker for Sen.John McCain who was re-elected to a second one-year term last month, has been concerned for his family's safety by constant verbal attacks and blog posts from some local committee members with tea party movement ties.

Let them resign. If they want to let an attack by an insane individual deter them from serving, then I highly doubt they were there for the right reason to begin with.

• Banned
I think if they had not recieved threats in the past that this would not have made them resign.

I dont think it was JUST this horrible crime

• Banned
does it HAVE to be violent?

I think it can be civil, it has been civil in some periods in our past

Considering the relative power and wealth that this nation welds, it is relatively civil.

I regret that this representative was shot by this person who is most likely psychotic (in one form or the other). I think there is a larger point to be made that the tone and tenor of American Political Discourse is absolute shit these days (and has been that way for several years - long before Palin took the stage).

However, Lougher's actions are not some sort of warning alarm about the state of this nation.

I think if they had not recieved threats in the past that this would not have made them resign.

I dont think it was JUST this horrible crime

If it was the threats in the past, they wouldnt be resigning now would they?

It's the assassination attempt of a lunatic that prompted this.

I never said I wanted him dead.

I said I will celebrate the day he dies.

The man has not been good for this country and when hes gone he will not be able to harm this country anymore.

I have never said anything about him dying one minute earlier than his natual life lasts.

It is not wrong to celebrate the passing of evil

I hate to introduce pop-culture into this thread, but this line from The Joker in The Dark Knight was brilliant:

You know what I noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan"...even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I told the press that, like, a gang-banger will get shot, or a truck load of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die. Well, then everyone loses their minds!

We send our sons and daughters off to die in far away places, for reasons that may be right or wrong, but in the end ultimately to support this concept of a nation we have. When they die, people mourn, get wrapped up in the sentimentality of the event, and stick yellow stickers on their car.

However, when someone who is so much more powerful than a single soldier is shot by a mad-man for no apparent reason, everyone goes frigging crazy.

In the end, I don't think it's really the act itself that scares people. It's the fact that people lose their feeling of security. Look at what 9/11 did to this country. We are still reeling from that. Look at how a serial killer/rapist can lock down a large city for three months by killing five women.

I don't mean to diminish the atrocity of this event or what happened to Congresswoman Giffords. I only mean to say that people's reaction to it is a little strange.

Considering the relative power and wealth that this nation welds, it is relatively civil.

I regret that this representative was shot by this person who is most likely psychotic (in one form or the other). I think there is a larger point to be made that the tone and tenor of American Political Discourse is absolute shit these days (and has been that way for several years - long before Palin took the stage).

However, Lougher's actions are not some sort of warning alarm about the state of this nation.

I think I have heard paraniod Schizophrenia as a possible condition for him.

These people are VERY prone to conspiracy theories.

I agree it did not originate with Palin.

There has been some very ruff things said fro many years including that pres clinton should be assinated by a sitting poltician.

I understand that you feel it was not a warning alarm, many other Americans like me feel it was.

There has been some very ruff things said fro many years including that pres clinton should be assinated by a sitting poltician.

I understand that you feel it was not a warning alarm, many other Americans like me feel it was.

Paranoid personality disorders are prone to conspiracy theories. Paranoid schizophrenics make up their own conspiracy theories and they tend to be the star of them. ("I work for the CIA/NSA and they send special messages to the microchip implanted in my forehead through the radio tower downtown. They have imparted me with the ability to control the stop lights in the town to protect the children. The night I was arrested by the Police for walking down main street naked, I was on mission for the CIA to protect the elderly at cross walks. Just call Langley and ask for Jill at the front desk. She'll corroborate everything.")

I hold off on a diagnosis for this kid. That's a job for the professionals.

many other americans, like you, reside below the median IQ.

Paranoid personality disorders are prone to conspiracy theories. Paranoid schizophrenics make up their own conspiracy theories and they tend to be the star of them. ("I work for the CIA/NSA and they send special messages to the microchip implanted in my forehead through the radio tower downtown. They have imparted me with the ability to control the stop lights in the town to protect the children. The night I was arrested by the Police for walking down main street naked, I was on mission for the CIA to protect the elderly at cross walks. Just call Langley and ask for Jill at the front desk. She'll corroborate everything.")

I hold off on a diagnosis for this kid. That's a job for the professionals.

I repeted that because it was from a professional who taking the known information about him felt that was the most likely diagnosis.

It sure does seem he was paranoid from his writings about the gov controling the people with language.

He seemed to change completely his friends have said.

This type of mental illness often shows up in the late teens to early 20s

I repeted that because it was from a professional who taking the known information about him felt that was the most likely diagnosis.

It's as good of guess as any, but I'll wait for an official diagnosis. Lougher could have blown his brain on Meth for all we know.

It sure does seem he was paranoid from his writings about the gov controling the people with language.

That certainly sounds like a paranoid delusion.

He seemed to change completely his friends have said.

That also fits the pattern of someone who is schizophrenic.

This type of mental illness often shows up in the late teens to early 20s

Generally 18 to 25 for males and 25 to 35 for females.

These are just the type of people i feared would be influenced by the super heated political atmosphere

These are just the type of people i feared would be influenced by the super heated political atmosphere

'These people'? Who, the mentally impaired Jared Loughner? Provide proof of your inane accusations or stfu.

I thought you said you would 'never fear' people? Liar.

Forum List

Back