Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Interesting turn of the tables:

http://www.chicagoboyz.net/archives/003976.html

March 03, 2006
Family Free-Riders

Shannon Love

Economically, every society needs children.

Children are the producers of the future This means that children are in a sense a necessary economic good. A society that does not produce enough children, or that cannot produce enough children who grow into economically productive adults, is doomed to poverty. Every long-term investment we make, whether in the private or public sector, is predicated on the idea that there will be a future generation which will actually produce a return. It doesn't matter what economic or political system rules the present, it will need children to secure its future. Even the most self-centered individual would eventual realize that if the next generation cannot produce, his own welfare will suffer.

So, collectively we all need children and benefit when they grow into productive adults, but the cost of raising children is increasingly being borne by fewer and fewer in the general population.

Childless adults are rapidly becoming economic free riders on the backs of parents.

In the pre-industrial era, children almost always contributed to the economic success of the family directly. Agriculture depended heavily on the labor of children, and children brought further benefits by extending support networks via marriages. In the industrial era, however, children began to contribute less and less while consuming more and more. Nowadays, children usually return very little if any economic benefit to the parents.

Being a parent costs one economically. Although we socialize some cost, such as education, parents pay most of the cost of raising a child. Parents also lose out in non-monetary ways such as in a loss of flexibility in when and where they work. If an individual sets out to maximize his lifetime income, avoiding having children would be step one.

In our atomized society, children do not provide a boost in status, networking or security that offsets their very real cost. I think this economic loss may explain why many people shy away from having children. Many people simply do not want the loss of status that will come from having their disposable income consumed by rug rats.

Like all free-rider situations, this one will eventually cause a collapse that hurts everyone. As the percentage of parents in the population shrinks, the cost of being a parent will rise. More and more people will be tempted to conserve their own resources and let someone else shoulder the burden of creating the next generation. Eventually, the society will either produce too few children or, probably more likely, will not produce enough children with the skills and habits needed to carry on the economy

There is already grousing in some blue zones by the childless that they shouldn't have to subsidize the "breeders'" children. How long before child-hostile places like San Francisco become the norm?

I'm not sure how to address this problem from a public-policy perspective, but the next time you run into someone bragging because he chose not to have children, call him a parasite and see how it works out.

-Or- Don't call him a parasite and continue with civilized conversation that doesn't attack either partaker's political views while burning bridges between friends and fellow Americans.

Hagbard Celine said:
-Or- Don't call him a parasite and continue with civilized conversation that doesn't attack either partaker's political views while burning bridges between friends and fellow Americans.

Oh yes. Uncomfortable truths are to be suppressed in favor of polite conversation. How establishment of you.

Okay! I did my part for population replacement, and even provided for two "parasites"! :D

Childless adults are rapidly becoming economic free riders on the backs of parents.

What an absolutely horrible, and disgusting thing to say. :(

Shattered said:
What an absolutely horrible, and disgusting thing to say. :(
Shattered, Honey. maybe this doesn't apply to you. You took on a share of the load, didn't you?

So because I don't have any children I am a 'freeloader'? How about the fact that I pay my taxes, including a rather hefty property tax which funds the local schools. I understand the need for a society to repopulate itself but calling out individuals like this is rediculous. People who have a half dozen kids and are on welfare with no jobs are the freeloaders.

mom4 said:
Shattered, Honey. maybe this doesn't apply to you. You took on a share of the load, didn't you?

"Took on a share of the load"? I raised my niece/nephew for the first half of their lives. I did not give birth to them.

I got pregnant - I had a miscarriage. I did not give birth to a child.

I'm currently considering adoption. I will not have given birth to that child.

There are many, many MANY people that have no business bringing children in to this world, and they KNOW it. They're also being referred to as parasites.

There are many, many, MANY people with close to a dozen children that are sitting back and collecting welfare, which I AM HELPING TO FUND. They are not parasites?

There are many, many, MANY children awaiting adoption, or even temporary homes, and I don't know too many people willing to foot the bill to take even one of those children into their homes. Why?

I stand by my statement - that was an absolutely disgusting and revolting thing for someone to say. :(

theHawk said:
So because I don't have any children I am a 'freeloader'? How about the fact that I pay my taxes, including a rather hefty property tax which funds the local schools. I understand the need for a society to repopulate itself but calling out individuals like this is rediculous. People who have a half dozen kids and are on welfare with no jobs are the freeloaders.
Not all people with half-a-dozen kids are on welfare. And they are talking about it in terms of the future. Talking about those who are openly disdainful of child-bearing, who discourage procreation out of pure selfishness. Not talking about people who haven't had children yet, who have been burnt out by raising other people's children, who do not make enough to support children, etc.

Shattered said:
"Took on a share of the load"? I raised my niece/nephew for the first half of their lives. I did not give birth to them.

That's what I was talking about. You have done/are doing a part in bringing up a productive future work force. Even though biologically childless, you would not be considered a "parasite." At least IMO.

There are many, many MANY people that have no business bringing children in to this world, and they KNOW it. They're also being referred to as parasites. There are many, many, MANY people with close to a dozen children that are sitting back and collecting welfare, which I AM HELPING TO FUND. They are not parasites?
They are definitely parasites. The author used the phrase "that cannot produce enough children who grow into economically productive adults" to address this.

There are many, many, MANY children awaiting adoption, or even temporary homes, and I don't know too many people willing to foot the bill to take even one of those children into their homes. Why?
Selfishness? For some people it is purely selfishness. They are not willing to compromise their own lifestyle or comfort in order to contribute to the next generation. They see "breeders" as gauche, uneducated, and low-class for engaging in activities like diaper-changing, mindless chatter with children, giving up personal freedom (Heaven forbid!). This is a growing mindset. This is what the author is addressing.

Shattered said:

I got pregnant - I had a miscarriage. I did not give birth to a child.

There are many, many MANY people that have no business bringing children in to this world, and they KNOW it. They're also being referred to as parasites.

There are many, many, MANY people with close to a dozen children that are sitting back and collecting welfare, which I AM HELPING TO FUND. They are not parasites?

I stand by my statement - that was an absolutely disgusting and revolting thing for someone to say. :(

God I love this woman.

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shattered again.)

I wonder where I would fall into this scenario. I have two kids who live with my practice wife. I pay child support religiously and have not seen them in 10 years.

I have no "other" kids now. As far as being a parasite to my parents, I told them if they die with a penny to their name, then they died with a penny too much.

They chose to have something to pass on to me when they die in order for me to be extremely comfortable; but also are now able to live an extremely comfortable and enjoyable retirement.

Parents have the choice of what they want to do as far as passing something down to their children.

As Shattered pointed out above, you and I do not have the choice of supported the woman on the corner who has 12 kids and is living off welfare.

My parents and myself are supporting those children. And probably doing a better job than their mother.

GotZoom said:
I wonder where I would fall into this scenario. I have two kids who live with my practice wife. I pay child support religiously and have not seen them in 10 years.
You are "not" a parasite.
As Shattered pointed out above, you and I do not have the choice of supported the woman on the corner who has 12 kids and is living off welfare. My parents and myself are supporting those children. And probably doing a better job than their mother.
That woman "is" a parasite. Probably.

This post struck a chord with me because I have been on the receiving end of the upturned noses, the bulging eyes, the incredulous tone in the voice as someone says, "You're pregnant AGAIN?" Then they go on to inquire about my birth control methods. These people are out there, the ones who find it disgusting that a woman could donate her body, her time, her energy to raising children. This mentality is what the author is addressing.

I'm going to assume this woman has more than the "normal" two children and has gotten some remarks about breeding.

"There is already grousing in some blue zones by the childless that they shouldn't have to subsidize the "breeders'" children. How long before child-hostile places like San Francisco become the norm?"

I would never call a childless person a parasite. People do need to realize though that children are the future, and not look down on people (who can afford) large families. Europe is realizing this now, with such a low birthrate they're worried about being able to support the older people when they retire.

I've gotten the "did you really want that many kids?" statement.

Trigg said:
I'm going to assume this woman has more than the "normal" two children and has gotten some remarks about breeding.

"There is already grousing in some blue zones by the childless that they shouldn't have to subsidize the "breeders'" children. How long before child-hostile places like San Francisco become the norm?"

I would never call a childless person a parasite. People do need to realize though that children are the future, and not look down on people (who can afford) large families. Europe is realizing this now, with such a low birthrate they're worried about being able to support the older people when they retire.

I've gotten the "did you really want that many kids?" statement.
How many do you have? If you don't mind saying...

mom4 said:
How many do you have? If you don't mind saying...

I have 3 boys and a girl. I used to get looks when my older 3 were young since they're very close together in age. Right now my kids are 12, 10, 8, and 3

mom4 said:
This post struck a chord with me because I have been on the receiving end of the upturned noses, the bulging eyes, the incredulous tone in the voice as someone says, "You're pregnant AGAIN?" Then they go on to inquire about my birth control methods. These people are out there, the ones who find it disgusting that a woman could donate her body, her time, her energy to raising children. This mentality is what the author is addressing.

I envy the woman who gets to stay home with her kids, and can afford (monitarily and physically) to have as many kids as she wants. I look to her as having a harder job than an executive of a major company. Just because she doesn't get paid in dollars, doesn't mean she isn't rewarded for her efforts.

This pregnancy has been a bit hard for me because of back issues. We are considering stopping after this one, and if we want more, we will adopt, so a child who is already here, has a loving, stable home. Though that has not been decided yet.

While I would never call a by-choice child-less person a parasite, I do resent being called a 'breeder'. Yes, I may have had children, but it is MY children (as well as the rest of the country's) that will be supporting their medicare and social security-if it is still around.

Well, as long as we are on the topic of criticizing others for their child-bearing (or not) choices, how about those of us who have one child? I have heard countles times, "Oh, you only have one?", always accompanied by the sad, "I pity you" countenance.

Then there are the folks who, knowing we have one child, like to comment that "it's not fair to the child to not have any siblings". Oh yes, I have heard it many times.

And then there was a guy I used to work with, who proclaimed, upon his wife having their third child, "Now we are a 'real' family". So that makes us a faux family? Give me a break.

It would be nice if people had the exact number of children they wanted to have, and could have, including none, one, fourteen, and everything in between if that's their wish, and let everyone else do the same. Geez. :chillpill :baby4:

By the way , where do you guys think countries like China are headed that regulate how many kids a family can have? Where are they going to be economically a generation from now? People keep saying how they will be the next economic superpower. Wouldn't that contradict this theory of declining birth rates effecting the economic output of a nation?

Forum List

Back