The Chevy Volt

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
From blog.american.com. I hear these cars don't do very well in the cold winer months.

Now that’s an expensive car
By Kenneth P. Green

December 21, 2011, 3:38 pm I’ve written before about the insanity that is the GM Volt, but even I am surprised at what the good people at the Mackinac Center found out when they totalled up all the various subsidies that the federal government has thrown into producing the Volt (not including the public’s 26 percent stake in the company). Hold on to your hats:

Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

When you throw in subsidies to the battery manufacturers, the subsidy goes up to $256,824 for each of the roughly 6,000 Volts that have been sold.

Adding insult to injury, those subsidies are mostly going to the fairly well-off: “According to GM CEO Dan Akerson, the average Volt owner makes $170,000 per year.”

And I thought that the EV1 was outrageous. Obviously, rent-seekers have become more efficient over time, even if their technology hasn’t.

From blog.american.com. I hear these cars don't do very well in the cold winer months.

By Kenneth P. Green

December 21, 2011, 3:38 pm I’ve written before about the insanity that is the GM Volt, but even I am surprised at what the good people at the Mackinac Center found out when they totalled up all the various subsidies that the federal government has thrown into producing the Volt (not including the public’s 26 percent stake in the company). Hold on to your hats:

Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

When you throw in subsidies to the battery manufacturers, the subsidy goes up to $256,824 for each of the roughly 6,000 Volts that have been sold.

Adding insult to injury, those subsidies are mostly going to the fairly well-off: “According to GM CEO Dan Akerson, the average Volt owner makes $170,000 per year.”

And I thought that the EV1 was outrageous. Obviously, rent-seekers have become more efficient over time, even if their technology hasn’t.

gosh darn obamie is subsidizing the upper crust at the expense of the working class? You'd think there'd be a million asswipe demoncraps in here bitchin bout that wouldn't you?

By Kenneth P. Green

gosh darn obamie is subsidizing the upper crust at the expense of the working class? You'd think there'd be a million asswipe demoncraps in here bitchin bout that wouldn't you?

At the expense of upsetting Unions? They don't have the stones.

Oh what fun. Let's talk about absurd claims from blogs as if they were facts.

I agree.

However....and lets see how genuine you are....

If it were found that the facts and figures are correct......would you be surprised?

By Kenneth P. Green

You'd think so. If it were really a matter of principle, they would be. However, it's a matter of toeing the party line like sheeple and that requires ignoring a lot of idiotic policies and programs. Chug some more koolaid and everything feels right again.

I agree.

If it were found that the facts and figures are correct......would you be surprised?

Hypothetically speaking? I would be amazingly surprised. The idea that the Volt costs $250,000 is something that any person should be extremely "surprised" to discover. I'd be almost as surprised if it were found that the moon landing was faked.

By Kenneth P. Green

You'd think so. If it were really a matter of principle, they would be. However, it's a matter of toeing the party line like sheeple and that requires ignoring a lot of idiotic policies and programs. Chug some more koolaid and everything feels right again.
Indeed.

fool-aid_green_artificial-consensus.jpg

fair enough. are the figures wrong?

The figures are absurd and unsubstantiated. You really think it makes sense that the Volt really costs $250,000?

what it is saying is...if you take into consideration subsidies and grants offered to the manufacturer to develop, manufacture and market the volt.....each one sold has cost a total of 256K.

Now...if they sold 600,000 volts, each one would cost 26K

But as expected...the government put in billions to a green project that just wont sell.

Sort of like Solyndra.

I agree.

Hypothetically speaking? I would be amazingly surprised. The idea that the Volt costs $250,000 is something that any person should be extremely "surprised" to discover. I'd be almost as surprised if it were found that the moon landing was faked.

I dont get it.

I thought you understood economics and business.

The cost of R and D per unit sold decreases with each unit sold.

fair enough. are the figures wrong?

The figures are absurd and unsubstantiated. You really think it makes sense that the Volt really costs $250,000?

Care to back up your claim that it doesn't?

Can't wait to hear your prowess on R&D and it's dilution through sales volume.

His is an example of one who is so ready to debunk a premise or a theory without putting any thought into it.

My only doubt about the article is the amont of cars sold....I dont know the number...but I have personally never had the opportunity to see one on the road...and I drive about 20K miles a year and live in the NYC tri state area.

But that being siad...if they only sold 6000...then there is no doubt that the manufacturer right now is seeing a cost in the quarter million dollar range...if not more....and sadly, we are 26% of the manufacturer.....and added billions of grants as well.

“Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Hohman looked at total state and federal assistance offered for the development and production of the Chevy Volt, General Motors’ plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. His analysis included 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The amount of government assistance does not include the fact that General Motors is currently 26 percent owned by the federal government.” Source: Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up to $250K Per Vehicle [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

“Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Hohman looked at total state and federal assistance offered for the development and production of the Chevy Volt, General Motors’ plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. His analysis included 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The amount of government assistance does not include the fact that General Motors is currently 26 percent owned by the federal government.” Source: Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up to $250K Per Vehicle [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

Al of this coming from a Government that has been broke for some time...

simply amazing...

New Topics

Forum List

Back