The Chevy Volt Only Gets 35MPG

KissMy

Free Breast Exam
Oct 10, 2009
In your head
This week a friend of mine in Arizona took a new Chevy Volt on a 300 mile trip & only got 35mpg. So I did a little checking & this is what I discovered. The Volkswagen Golf, Rabbit & Jetta TDI cost half as much as a Chevy Volt & gets from 47-59 mpg in the real world driving & test. The phrase “your mileage may vary” has reached a new level of meaning and importance.

EPA Rates Chevy Volt at 93 MPG, or 60 MPG or 35 MPG, Depending
One day after the all-electric Nissan LEAF received its 99-mpg (equivalent) rating from the EPA, General Motors announced the Chevy Volt will carry a rating of 93 mpg while running purely on electricity, and 37 mpg in so-called “charge-sustaining” mode.

While the EPA tries to pin 60 mpg as a single composite number for the Volt’s efficiency, the amount of energy consumed will greatly depend on how you drive, the distance of common commutes, and how often it’s charged. "If you try to boil it down to a single number, it gets quite difficult," said Tony DiSalle, Chevrolet product marketing director. To make matters more detailed and confusing, the EPA also said the Volt has a 35-mile range on electricity alone and a range of 379 miles with gasoline and electricity.

58.82 MPG World Record set by Jetta TDI
The most fuel efficient car across North America is not a hybrid. It’s a diesel. A Volkswagen Jetta TDI Clean Diesel, to be exact. Set under real world conditions with a completely stocked Jetta TDI... Making its way across the nation and into a world records, a Jetta TDI recently achieved 58.82 MPG during a successful 9,419 mile bid for the lowest fuel consumption across the Continental United States. Despite being officially rated at “just” 30 MPG city and 41 MPG highway by the EPA, the Jetta TDI managed a whopping 14 percent improvement over the previous record of 51.58 MPG.

261mpg Volkswagen XL1 to see limited production for the US
Volkswagen is calling their XL1 Concept the most fuel efficient car in the world and while there is no guarantee that the production version will retain the exact drivetrain from the concept, the XL1 that debuted at the Qatar Motor Show is powered by a 0.8L litre, two-cylinder turbo diesel aided by an electric motor/lithium ion battery pack and a 7-speed dual clutch transmission. This drivetrain installed in the slippery yet distinctly modern VeeDub styling affords the XL1 an amazing 261 miles per gallon.

They got to lie otherwise they will never reach the 65 mpg mandate of Obama's.

The Cooper/BMW Mini only get 35, how in the hell will they get the Mini up to 65 let alone the average of all cars.

Ahh on 300 mile trips yes lower mileage.
The Prius gets much better mileage on 300 mile trips though.

America behind again.

While the Volt CAN be driven that way, it was created as a commuter car designed to take you to and from work and around town without the gas engine kicking in. It does what it was designed to do very well. The problem is in the price.

Opel Ampera

They're selling a much better looking version of the volt in Europe as the Opel Ampera. I like THIS car much better, but it's really the same car.

Last edited:
My car is not a Hybrid, so I can go as far as I want or as long as there is a gas station. LOL

??

My car IS a hybrid, and can go as far as I want or as long as there is a gas station to. What does being a hybrid have to do with that?

my SUV gets 20/17 and can go nearly 500 miles on a single tank

Me too. And it can fit the whole family with the kids all in their own corner, away from the other ones, with room to spare. Dog gets a whole seat to herself too.

Can the engine be removed? After all, if the engine kicks on just to charge the batteries-why can't it be removed and made into an all electric car.

Seems to me if the electric drive shaft and the engine drive shaft are integrated into one drive shaft, why can't the engine and its drive shaft be removed? It's a slip-on fit, right?

Removing the engine shouldn't void the warranty, should it? After all, it isn't an add-on modification.

Can the engine be removed? After all, if the engine kicks on just to charge the batteries-why can't it be removed and made into an all electric car.

Seems to me if the electric drive shaft and the engine drive shaft are integrated into one drive shaft, why can't the engine and its drive shaft be removed? It's a slip-on fit, right?

Removing the engine shouldn't void the warranty, should it? After all, it isn't an add-on modification.

Why in the world would you want to remove the engine? Then you would basically have a car with a 35 mile radius (1/2 that for round trip) with no room for error, or a serious need to plan on being by a plug every 30 miles or so.

I am often puzzled by the negative attitude towards American industry? When did this start and why? It is as if a company that built the country and provided a middle class life for millions is now somehow a bad thing? Toyota is killing people with technical flaws but GM gets criticized for one driver's results? And it makes no sense to argue the technical issues as the idea is not based in technology but in prejudice against our own nation's major car builder. (While I can guess the source, I wonder at the biased tools who just follow.) The curious irony is the same people who criticize GM are generally big fans of corporate power and laissez-faire economics. Yesterday I am listening to commentators on the Japanese tragedy and they are discussing the impact on the auto business, and someone notes how this will help the Korean car makers. WTF happened to buying American and supporting America I wonder. As Pogo said long ago we have met the enemy and the enemy is us.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/128477-did-obama-save-gm-3.html#post2607852

My 2004 Ranger, even loaded down with a mino-glacier in the back (thanks to Maine's winter), got 29 MPG, last fill-up.

And in five years or so, I won't have to spend thousands to replace the batteries.

Electric cars are quite a disappointment thus far.

My 2004 Ranger, even loaded down with a mino-glacier in the back (thanks to Maine's winter), got 29 MPG, last fill-up.

And in five years or so, I won't have to spend thousands to replace the batteries.

Electric cars are quite a disappointment thus far.

Speak for yourself. My Hummer costs about $60/week to fill up right now, my modded Prius drives the same distance using about $6 of gasoline. Plus the electricity which I barely notice in the electric bill.

You can be disappointed over a $200 month savings but I sure ain't.

Consumer Reports doesn't like the Chevy Volt.
Via Yahoo! News:
Consumer Reports says GM Volt falls short on range - Yahoo! Finance
"We would have really liked to have loved it," David Champion, director of Consumer Reports auto test center told Reuters on Monday after announcing the organization's top picks for 2011."It was fun to drive and the ride quality was pretty good. But when you look at the finances, for us it doesn't make any sense," Champion said.
Consumer reports found that GM's first generation plug-in hybrid, which is the resurgent automaker's signature entry in the industry's drive for greater fuel efficiency, fell well short of its maximum range potential under battery power.
Champion said the Volt that Consumer Reports bought and tested ran for 26 miles before the vehicle's gasoline engine kicked in.
After promoting a 40-mile electric-only range for most of the Volt's development, GM last year introduced a sliding scale of between 25 and 50 miles.
The Toyota Prius, by contrast, gets 51 miles per gallon and the Ford Fusion gets 41 mpg.
And there's something else I've been wondering about, do any of these electric cars have heaters? Well apparently they do BUT...

From Wheels Canada:
Sweater, gloves required when driving Volt in cold: Magazine | Wheels.ca
The potential popularity of electric vehicles has always been tempered in cold climates, like here in Canada, because of the concerns that freezing temperatures will reduce the range of an EV’s batteries.
The magazine found that the Volt uses up a “considerable” amount of battery range to heat up its cabin on colder days, reducing its range to well below 30 miles (48 kms) before draining the battery and reverting to its gas generator to recharge the batteries and power its electric motor — much lower than the optimal 64 km estimate.
The result led to the review calling the Chevy EV as “a sweater and gloves commuter car for northern-tier Volt owners.”

my SUV gets 20/17 and can go nearly 500 miles on a single tank

Woot! My big ole FORD gets about 15 with the intake, chip, and straight pipes with tips setup on it.:smoke::fu:
I've only(hopefully) got 20-30yrs left on this earth and there isn't anyway in hell that my old fat ass is going to ride around in some little fuckin' sardine suicide trap, I don't care if it gets 100mpg.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back