The Changing Sea-Life of the Chesapeake Bay.

Mad_Cabbie

Gold Member
Nov 2, 2013
العراق
In recent years, Maryland (like other states) has become overrun with invasive species.

The first real red flag was the Crofton pond northern Snakehead incident of 2002. Unbeknownst to scientist, however, was the fact that Snakeheads had already been introduced into the Potomac river around 1998.

7000260219_fe4f5dffdb.jpg

images

7064549225_4632e484be.jpg

images

They are currently caught in large numbers on the Potomac and are spreading to other areas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the 1970's the Blue Catfish was intentionally stocked in Virginia rivers by the state of Virginia itself.

A few years back, they made their way up to Maryland and have seem to taken over our ecosystems.

record-blue-MD-84.28lb-Jones-08-27-12a.jpeg

CROP_blue_catfish822.jpg

11980715565_b6f6ba93c7.jpg

convert

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, warmer waters mean fish coming farther north --

2012 came with an explosion of formerly rare red drum that now ran into the millions. These fish winterized -- unheard of in these waters.

708_Kayak_Kevin_45_inch_Red_Drum_Fisherman_s_Island_Shoals_Spring_2006.jpg

images

The Southern stingray made an appearance about the same time. I caught one last year that was at least four feet across.

PATWSOUTHERSTINGRAY.jpg

^^^ Not me!

Now, here's a critter that I want to introduce to ya'll --

Mitten_Crab.jpg

It's called a Mitten crab.

The Chinese Mitten Crab (Eriocheir sinensis) is native to East Asia and is an established invader in Europe and the United States. The first established US population was in California’s San Francisco Bay and Delta (1980s). This crab has also been found in the Great Lakes and the US Gulf Coast, but it does not appear to have a breeding population in either region. Since 2005, over 100 mitten crabs have been found in estuaries along the US mid-Atlantic, from Maryland to New York, and its potential range includes coastal waters from Virginia to Texas.

Mitten crabs occur in both freshwater and saltwater environments. Adults migrate from freshwater to estuaries to breed. Their larvae develop in marine environments until they become juvenile crabs, at which time they migrate into freshwater tributaries. Adults spend between two and five years in the freshwater tributaries before returning to the estuaries to breed.

images

This is a Green Crab.

According to Grosholz and Ruiz (2002), the green crab is one of the most successful invasive predators in coastal ecosystems with populations established on five continents. They noted that these crabs were able to expand their range over 750 km in less than ten years on the Pacific coast of North America with populations firmly established in every significant bay and estuary from Monterey Bay, California to Gray's Harbor, Washington. Because of their ability to rapidly expand their range, Cohen et al. (1995) suggested that the species has the potential to spread and become established from Alaska to Baja California. Expansion of the range on the east coast of North America has been primarily northward.

Last edited:
I have fished for years in the Chesapeake. Mostly bottom fishing for croaker, spot, and flounder or trolling for blues and rockfish. The rockfish were almost wiped out in the 1970's but they have slowly returned.

Oysters were big when I was a kid but were almost wiped out. They are slowly returning. Crabs are still good. We've always had traps, and I love steaming a pot and cracking open a mess of blue crabs or picking soft shells off of piers or pilings with a net.

The Chesapeake is still the seafood capital of the world. Love the Bay. :)

Last edited:
My fishing experience has been the fresh waters of Northern Wisconsin as a kid with my Grandpa...I'd like to give salt water fishing a shot some day.:)
It is an expensive addiction.

I have given it up due to skin cancer from a lifetime of fishing hard in the sun.

I finally got over-fried.

I would like to take up night fishing, but, haven't kept the boat up like I should have.

Might just take up striper fishing, inland, at night, and get a newer but smaller boat.

Muskie fishing is cool too, if you like not catching anything!!!!

Well, I caught one, bass fishing.

I almost died.

I have fished for years in the Chesapeake. Mostly bottom fishing for croaker, spot, and flounder or trolling for blues and rockfish. The rockfish were almost wiped out in the 1970's but they have slowly returned.

Oysters were big when I was a kid but were almost wiped out. They are slowly retuning. Crabs are still good. We've always had traps, and I love steaming a pot and cracking open a mess of blue crabs or picking soft shells off of piers or pilings with a net.

I can remember in the forties and fifties the roads around the Eastern Shore were paved with crab shells. And oyster shells. No more. WelfareQueen

Last edited:
In recent years, Maryland (like other states) has become overrun with invasive species.

The first real red flag was the Crofton pond northern Snakehead incident of 2002. Unbeknownst to scientist, however, was the fact that Snakeheads had already been introduced into the Potomac river around 1998.

images

images

They are currently caught in large numbers on the Potomac and are spreading to other areas.

Back in the 1970's the Blue Catfish was intentionally stocked in Virginia rivers by the state of Virginia itself.

A few years back, they made their way up to Maryland and have seem to taken over our ecosystems.

CROP_blue_catfish822.jpg

convert

2012 came with an explosion of formerly rare red drum that now ran into the millions. These fish winterized -- unheard of in these waters.

images

The Southern stingray made an appearance about the same time. I caught one last year that was at least four feet across.

PATWSOUTHERSTINGRAY.jpg

^^^ Not me!

Mitten_Crab.jpg

The Chinese Mitten Crab (Eriocheir sinensis) is native to East Asia and is an established invader in Europe and the United States. The first established US population was in California’s San Francisco Bay and Delta (1980s). This crab has also been found in the Great Lakes and the US Gulf Coast, but it does not appear to have a breeding population in either region. Since 2005, over 100 mitten crabs have been found in estuaries along the US mid-Atlantic, from Maryland to New York, and its potential range includes coastal waters from Virginia to Texas.

Mitten crabs occur in both freshwater and saltwater environments. Adults migrate from freshwater to estuaries to breed. Their larvae develop in marine environments until they become juvenile crabs, at which time they migrate into freshwater tributaries. Adults spend between two and five years in the freshwater tributaries before returning to the estuaries to breed.

images

This is a Green Crab.

According to Grosholz and Ruiz (2002), the green crab is one of the most successful invasive predators in coastal ecosystems with populations established on five continents. They noted that these crabs were able to expand their range over 750 km in less than ten years on the Pacific coast of North America with populations firmly established in every significant bay and estuary from Monterey Bay, California to Gray's Harbor, Washington. Because of their ability to rapidly expand their range, Cohen et al. (1995) suggested that the species has the potential to spread and become established from Alaska to Baja California. Expansion of the range on the east coast of North America has been primarily northward.

Can you eat them?

images

images

CROP_blue_catfish822.jpg

convert

images

PATWSOUTHERSTINGRAY.jpg

^^^ Not me!

Mitten_Crab.jpg

images

This is a Green Crab.

Can you eat them?
They look to me like bowfins, or, choupique, as they are called here.

In Texas I think they call them grinnel.

Nasty critters, but, some eat them.

I won't.

Snakeheads look like the Chinese version of choupique.

• Banned

images

images

CROP_blue_catfish822.jpg

convert

images

PATWSOUTHERSTINGRAY.jpg

^^^ Not me!

Mitten_Crab.jpg

images

This is a Green Crab.

Can you eat them?

Oh, yes indeed and I do whenever I can! They actually start running late winter and by July, they slow way down.

Great for bow hunting, because most of the time, they sit perfectly still.

They taste kind of like flounder and its a firm white meat.

Oysters were big when I was a kid but were almost wiped out. They are slowly retuning. Crabs are still good. We've always had traps, and I love steaming a pot and cracking open a mess of blue crabs or picking soft shells off of piers or pilings with a net.

The next critters to invade will be the Asian carp. The big heads grow to over a hundred pounds. The silver carp jump 8 feet out the water, hundreds at a time.

I was an avid salt water fisherman my entire life. I pretty much gave it up about 20 years ago. The entire Atlantic Ocean on the Eastern Seaboard is so vastly overfished, it's disgusting. My friend in Montauk tell me there's not even a fall stripped bass run anymore, it's a shell of its former self.

Some days I'm rooting for the asteroid. People have no fucking respect at all for what we were given and this is what we're left with

I was an avid salt water fisherman my entire life. I pretty much gave it up about 20 years ago. The entire Atlantic Ocean on the Eastern Seaboard is so vastly overfished, it's disgusting. My friend in Montauk tell me there's not even a fall stripped bass run anymore, it's a shell of its former self.

Some days I'm rooting for the asteroid. People have no fucking respect at all for what we were given and this is what we're left with

The runs of stripers and blues now go further north. They head all the way up to Main, now. Something about the gulf stream shifting.

One thing I failed to include in the OP is the triumphant return of the Atlantic Sturgeon. They are breading in the eastern shore's Nanticoke and are now found spawning in the springtime.

The next critters to invade will be the Asian carp. The big heads grow to over a hundred pounds. The silver carp jump 8 feet out the water, hundreds at a time.

I hate those fuckers. They eat all the sea grass on the bottom and taste like shit.

I hate those fuckers. They eat all the sea grass on the bottom and taste like shit.
I am not too fond of redfish; they are overprotected, and just crowd out the specks in the inshore waters.

Nothing worse than finessing a topwater lure, hoping for an eight to ten pound speck to nail a prize in a tournament, and having a 40 pound red explode on your lure.

That can easily take most of an hour to resolve, on the light tackle used for specks.

2 bull sharks caught in Potomac River

For the second time in three years, fishermen in southern Maryland have pulled in a shark from the most unlikely place -- the Potomac River.

Actually they caught two sharks. They got caught in fishing nets about 200 yards away from the swimming area in Point Lookout State Park in St Mary's County.

Fisherman Richard Riche got quite the shock when he tried to haul them in.

"It was a surprise, coming face-to-face with two big sharks. Lots of excitement," says Riche.

2748626_G.jpg

2748651_G.jpg

2748625_G.jpg

Tarpon is one of the best kept and tightly guarded secrets here on the Eastern Shore. I don't fish for them because I can't eat them.... however I have been known to stalk them once in awhile... never caught one though.

If you happen to get within 1/2 mile of someone tarpon fishing in a favorite spot they are likely to pick up and move so you cannot identify the location. I'm serious.

I have a friend who has caught one in the bay. He was drum fishing with cut bait.

There is one person on the Eastern Shore who probably knows more about tarpon fishing here than all others combined. His name is.... Jack Brady. He is about 75 years old and as crusty as they get. He is probably been responsible for over half the tarpon caught around here in the last 40 years.

A couple of years ago my friends Dave and Monte went out with Jack on a hot August day out of Oyster. We fished for some bait (croaker) and went to a hot spot to try and catch a tarpon.

There were no tarpon caught that day but I'm telling you we saw at least 30 of them within 25 yards of the boat. They would come up and roll and break the surface and that was it. They were all much bigger than 50 lbs... who knows how much bigger..

You can find Jack by way of Chris and Mark at Chris's Bait and Tackle.

So there you go... everything I know about Tarpon on the Eastern Shore.

2 bull sharks caught in Potomac River

For the second time in three years, fishermen in southern Maryland have pulled in a shark from the most unlikely place -- the Potomac River.

Actually they caught two sharks. They got caught in fishing nets about 200 yards away from the swimming area in Point Lookout State Park in St Mary's County.

Fisherman Richard Riche got quite the shock when he tried to haul them in.

"It was a surprise, coming face-to-face with two big sharks. Lots of excitement," says Riche.

2748626_G.jpg

2748651_G.jpg

2748625_G.jpg
Bull sharks are very dangerous. Probably more so than other sharks that attack humans.

Forum List

Back