The Changing Middle East: Is it a result of the Iraq war?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Sallow, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    It's not something I've seen discussed alot in the media and this certainly is not the way I thought this would shake out. I am pretty sure this was not what Bush was talking about when he pointed out a Democracy in Iraq would cause them to "flower" around the Middle East. But it may be that the current protests are a direct result of the Iraq War.

Millions of Iraqis were forced to leave because of the violence and wound up in many of the places that are now in turmoil. Could these new immigrants be part of the cause of the unrest?

I had thought that the Iraq war would cause an uptick of terrorism in moderate Middle Eastern countries, Europe and the United States (which it has just not as much as I originally thought) but something unexpected has happened. It might be explained that the immigrants leaving Iraq, were middle and upper class and didn't expect the dismal life style they found in their adopted countries. Which may be part of the fuel that is firing the present insurrection.

2. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Gonna shamelessly bump this because I think it's an interesting topic.

3. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Sorta surprised no Iraq war/Bush supporters haven't picked up on this..

Which begs the question.

Do they even exist anymore?

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Nobody's responding to it because it's nothing except astounding evidence of your ignorance of history.

5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    The MSM has already talked about it quite frequently. Access to the internet is the primary reason, people, primarily the young, see there are alternatives that they like and want. Why do you think the ruling factions try to shut it down when there's unrest or control it? Simply to hide what they do to suppress their citizens? The free exchange of ideas is the most dangerous thing there is to all but free peoples.

6. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    imho the UN's food price index hitting an all time high has more to do with it than Iraq.

7. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Sallow, you must be kidding, why is nobody posting in this thread!! Actually, I find it to be a good idea and just posted that first sentence to get your blood pressure up. Is Egypt the result of Iraq, its kind of hard to state but I do not see how we can not view Egypt as a direct result of Iraq. There are other factors involved and how the people view Iraq in regards to the current movement is something I have not read or seen.

I wonder what the average Egyptian thinks, I bet the average kid who has heard the USA is making a new country in Iraq is overwhelmed with hope that the same happens everywhere.

Most kids want McDonalds and Coca Cola, that is universal. Most people in the World want what they percieve we have, or what we used to have.

It is only fair we give the world what we enjoy, freedom, and not the phony Liberal freedom that squeezes every last dime from our wallets.

Is Iraq having an effect, its too early to tell and it is impossible to say that Iraq has no effect.

8. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,677
    I heard an interview od some protestors and was somewhat alarmed at how they had no clue of what they wanted except Mubarak to be removed. They didn't know who they wanted to run the country but wanted to be free.

I expected them to say have the military run the government until elections could take place, but that wasn't their answer although prompted by the interviewer and they wanted nothing to do with the US. No derogatory remarks were made in regard to the US. Just didn't want them intervening.

Think this may have been instigated by what happened in Iraq. Regardless of what resulted, the "voting for your your leader" may have sent a strong message across the lands.

They just don't understand what it takes to come to that point.

9. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Sounds to me they have not the education to understand. I am all for sending troops, our problem is we do not send teachers and set up schools.

I think we should be educating the world.

10. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,926

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014