The changing face of New York City

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
425200_10151402119075933_1297384889_n.jpg

Interesting. I'm relatively certain that a future 2020 a picture from Jersey at the same place will show the remains of multiple thermonuclear detonations.

Thats actually pretty cool.
National Geographic did a story on how it looked when we first arrived a few years back.
They showed parts of central park that are exactly like they were way back then....well except for the homeless people....

National Geographic did a story on how it looked when we first arrived a few years back.
They showed parts of central park that are exactly like they were way back then....well except for the homeless people....

Aside from the massive pieces of rock that were left by the last ice age, there's nothing "natural" about Central Park. Those rocks remain only because no one could figure out how to remove them.

I posted these photos for the same reason I posted the photos in the thread about radicals - to show that the United States has survived and will survive.

Period.

Just got back from NYC, actually.

I miss real pizza already.

ok... where did you go for pizza. I am still searching for good pizza in NYC.

where do you get your pizza here in the city? My fave is Villa Romana.

Try Paulie Gee's on Greenpoint or Fornino's on Manhattan Ave.

Really good pizza.

ill give them a look! Thanks!!!!

the one i was thinking of giving a shot is Bleecker Street pizza. Ever been there?

Never mind pizza. Katz's Delicatessen is still there and still has some of the best sandwiches in the city. And, that's saying something for a vegetarian in a deli!

The tables are all communal and I once shared a table with Ed Koch.

If you're ever in Tucson, have pizza at Magpie's. The chef once shared his secret for really excellent sauce for pasta and pizza. My cooking hasn't been the same since. :)

Never mind pizza. Katz's Delicatessen is still there and still has some of the best sandwiches in the city. And, that's saying something for a vegetarian in a deli!

The tables are all communal and I once shared a table with Ed Koch.

If you're ever in Tucson, have pizza at Magpie's. The chef once shared his secret for really excellent sauce for pasta and pizza. My cooking hasn't been the same since. :)

never mind pizza :wtf: ..... :lol:

ya know, ive never been to Katz's. Stage was or fave...but they closed and sarges burned down! Katz is on the list for this january. I am still on the hunt for the BEST tongue sandwich! So far.... stages was the best.

ok... spill the recipe. :eusa_angel:

The pizza question is a very contentious one. I grew up in Brooklyn, and everyone has their opinions - I've seen screaming matches in bars over which "Joe's" in Manhattan is the "real one", and friends getting into genuine, emotional fights over "Patsy's" vs. "Grimaldi's".

So, I'll qualify this with these are meant to represent my opinions, not any "established" bests:

In Brooklyn:

1. DiFara's - a tiny place deep in Brooklyn in a Hasidic Jewish neighborhood. Hole-in-the-wall, dirty storefront, and kinda expensive since they got "famous". Every pizza is made to order by an 80-year-old Italian guy who grows his own Oregano in the window. I'm not kidding.

2. Grimaldi's (formerly Patsy's and Patsy Grimaldi's)- under the Brooklyn Bridge, on Front St. Half of a long-running popular feud between them and "Patsy's" in Manhattan as to which is the original "Patsy's".

In Manhattan:

1. Joe's Pizza - on the weird corner of 6th Ave and Bleeker Street in Greenwich Village. One of countless restaurants that claim to be the "original" Joe's. That same phenomenon is seen with many "Ray's" pizzas, but I don't know of any of them that stand out from the others like Joe's on Bleeker does.

2. Patsy's - even though I'm a native Brooklyn boy, and my allegiance lies with Grimaldi's, I can't deny that Patsy's is good pizza too. Or at least it was - the last time I ate there was probably 15 years ago.

As to here, I like Villa Romana - we've eaten there a few times, and it's pretty good. The two closest places to me are awful - Seniore's and Taraval Pizza.

I like Goat Hill Pizza, -it's very California pizza, but good, Lanesplitters in the East Bay, Arizmendi's, and the Zante's Indian Pizza is fantastically weird and awesome.

Try Paulie Gee's on Greenpoint or Fornino's on Manhattan Ave.

Really good pizza.

ill give them a look! Thanks!!!!

the one i was thinking of giving a shot is Bleecker Street pizza. Ever been there?

They're great, but I recommend walking around the corner to Joe's.

The John's - Joe's - Bleecker Street pizza arguments are another story entirely.

The pizza question is a very contentious one. I grew up in Brooklyn, and everyone has their opinions - I've seen screaming matches in bars over which "Joe's" in Manhattan is the "real one", and friends getting into genuine, emotional fights over "Patsy's" vs. "Grimaldi's".

So, I'll qualify this with these are meant to represent my opinions, not any "established" bests:

In Brooklyn:

1. DiFara's - a tiny place deep in Brooklyn in a Hasidic Jewish neighborhood. Hole-in-the-wall, dirty storefront, and kinda expensive since they got "famous". Every pizza is made to order by an 80-year-old Italian guy who grows his own Oregano in the window. I'm not kidding.

2. Grimaldi's (formerly Patsy's and Patsy Grimaldi's)- under the Brooklyn Bridge, on Front St. Half of a long-running popular feud between them and "Patsy's" in Manhattan as to which is the original "Patsy's".

In Manhattan:

1. Joe's Pizza - on the weird corner of 6th Ave and Bleeker Street in Greenwich Village. One of countless restaurants that claim to be the "original" Joe's. That same phenomenon is seen with many "Ray's" pizzas, but I don't know of any of them that stand out from the others like Joe's on Bleeker does.

2. Patsy's - even though I'm a native Brooklyn boy, and my allegiance lies with Grimaldi's, I can't deny that Patsy's is good pizza too. Or at least it was - the last time I ate there was probably 15 years ago.

As to here, I like Villa Romana - we've eaten there a few times, and it's pretty good. The two closest places to me are awful - Seniore's and Taraval Pizza.

I like Goat Hill Pizza, -it's very California pizza, but good, Lanesplitters in the East Bay, Arizmendi's, and the Zante's Indian Pizza is fantastically weird and awesome.
to funny about the pizza fights. Its like spaghetti sauce, we all have our favorites and know its the BEST!

LOL...i went to the wrong joes! omg...it was horrible... on 7th at about 57th. jillian also suggested the joes on bleeker.

Villa romana is what i compare pizza to.

Last edited:

Aside from the massive pieces of rock that were left by the last ice age, there's nothing "natural" about Central Park. Those rocks remain only because no one could figure out how to remove them.

Probably some truth in that. And you're right...there was a big ass rock in the pic.:lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back