The Change You Deserve

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
The stupid party strikes again: “The Change You Deserve”
By Michelle Malkin
May 13, 2008

Oh, dear Lord. The hapless Republican establishment has gone and made a public embarrassment of itself again. Can your hearts take much more of this?

Mine can’t:

Hoping to get things moving in a positive direction, House Republicans will on Wednesday begin rolling out their own policy agenda, trying to showcase their differences with Democrats on issues such as health care, the economy, energy and national security.

In a memo to be sent to Republican members today, the leadership hints at a new slogan building on the change message that has already been shown to have political resonance with a public unhappy with the nation’s direction.

It looks like Republicans will counter the Democratic push for change from the years of the Bush administration with their own pledge to deliver, drum roll please, “the change you deserve.” The first element of the party agenda developed over the past few months by the leadership and select party members will focus on family issues.

“Through our “Change You Deserve” message and through our “American Families Agenda,” House Republicans will continue our efforts to speak directly to an American public looking for leaders who will offer real solutions for the challenges they confront every day,” said the memo prepared for lawmakers.

Conservatives have spent the entire campaign season eviscerating Democrat candidates who’ve tattooed themselves with the empty “change” slogan. So what do the brain-dead strategists and p.r. market wizards of the GOP go and do?

Wrap themselves in “change.”

What about self-preservation? What about sovereignty? What about consistent adherence to constitutional principles?

Nope. We get more insipid “change.”

The crack research staff at GOP HQ somehow missed that “Change You Deserve” is the marketing slogan for Effexor, an anti-depressant.

Brilliant.

The GOP lemmings deserve everything they’re going to get in November.

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/05/13/the-stupid-party-strikes-again-the-change-you-deserve/

I love that they stole it from an anti depressant add. Plus the word "deserve" seems like a nice authoritarian touch.:razz:

These peep holes must live in a different world than the rest of US.

Look. Conservatism is practically dead. McCain knows it. Otherwise he would still be battling Huckabee and Romney. There is no need for him to answer to conservatives. It may even be risky to do so as moderate Democrats, scared of the Hillary and Obama, may vote for him unless he moves to the right. I sometimes listen to Savage. He is funny (particularly when he doesn’t intend to be). He says that McCain better talk to conservatives or he will lose their votes. Uh. If conservatives don’t vote for McCain because he is not conservative enough, they are simply helping Hillary and Obama. Accept what little you have in McCain, hold your nose, and vote for him - or you will end up with much much less.

Someone came up with a much better slogan:

“Do You Want Change Or Dollars Left In your Pocket?”

Conservatism is not dead....

Someone came up with a much better slogan:

“Do You Want Change Or Dollars Left In your Pocket?”

Conservatism is not dead....

Wake up to reality. Where are the conservatives? They are not in the Republican Party. They certainly are not in the Democrat Party. The other parties are far less popular. The conservatives are simply not popular. Their days are gone. The proof is right there in front of you. Show me a popular conservative?

Wake up to reality. Where are the conservatives? They are not in the Republican Party. They certainly are not in the Democrat Party. The other parties are far less popular. The conservatives are simply not popular. Their days are gone. The proof is right there in front of you. Show me a popular conservative?
They're right under your nose...

Many social conservatives voted for Mike Huckabee.
Many economic conservatives voted for Mitt Romney.

They're right under your nose...

Many social conservatives voted for Mike Huckabee.
Many economic conservatives voted for Mitt Romney.

Why are they not still in the race? When one dropped out, the conservatives could have gotten together and voted for the other.

They aren't really going to go with that slogan, are they?

Good grief, it sounds like a threat!

Can anybody make big bucks thinking up that sort of stuff? Because if so, I'm moving to DC....

I don't think conservativism is dead at all. I think that, much like the peta-tree hugging-pink lunger-nanny state liberals that sour public opinion on liberalism, that the right has taken a beating from the last 8 years of hindsight fiascos and fruitless guarantees. I'm sure I saw dems voting for the iraq war in much the same light as you see republican hopping on the change bandwagon.

Perhaps it's time, like boortz would say, for conservatives to shed the bible junky vote and fragment into creating a more significant libertarian party. Ron Paul was quite popular and if he jumped ship perhaps there would be actual conservatives worth listening to beyond the bullshit you are offered as of late. Fiscal conservatives without the morality bullshit just might sell.

Trust me, i fest the EXACT same way about the code pinks, and gun haters, property rights deniers, lactivists and the other residual 60s burnouts who are having a deja vu acid flashback of their relevance from yesteryear. I have no problem separating my own liberalism from cookie cutter lefties who've read the motorcycle diaries for the first time. Who thinks having a beat up (HA!) folded paperback copy of On The Road alleviates having to realize that kerouac wasn't a hippy by far.

it's a property rights thing.. you wouldn't understand.

I don't think conservativism is dead at all. I think that, much like the peta-tree hugging-pink lunger-nanny state liberals that sour public opinion on liberalism, that the right has taken a beating from the last 8 years of hindsight fiascos and fruitless guarantees. I'm sure I saw dems voting for the iraq war in much the same light as you see republican hopping on the change bandwagon.

Perhaps it's time, like boortz would say, for conservatives to shed the bible junky vote and fragment into creating a more significant libertarian party. Ron Paul was quite popular and if he jumped ship perhaps there would be actual conservatives worth listening to beyond the bullshit you are offered as of late. Fiscal conservatives without the morality bullshit just might sell.

Trust me, i fest the EXACT same way about the code pinks, and gun haters, property rights deniers, lactivists and the other residual 60s burnouts who are having a deja vu acid flashback of their relevance from yesteryear. I have no problem separating my own liberalism from cookie cutter lefties who've read the motorcycle diaries for the first time. Who thinks having a beat up (HA!) folded paperback copy of On The Road alleviates having to realize that kerouac wasn't a hippy by far.

I agree with this completely. It's high time conservatives abandoned the GOP and started a whole new revolution, only this time make it COUNT.

It's happening, slowly. RP supporters make up about 10% of the GOP base, maybe more, maybe less. It's almost impossible to tell. If many of them would be able to let the GOP go, perhaps they could get somewhere.

I'm all for energizing the libertarian (with a small l) Party, with it's primary purpose being an escape from establishment 2-party politics, where both liberals and conservatives can find compromise on many issues. Libertarian philosophies seem to generally benefit both ideologies in different ways.

I think we'll never see the changes we want until we loosen the authoritarian grip on the market. The regulations these days, on the surface, seem like they hold corporations back...but in reality, most regulation BENEFITS the big mega-corps. The regulative legislations get written by lobbyists from mega-corps, which implement the kind of regulation that most small fledgling businesses can not abide by and still maintain themselves, thereby allowing only a few big companies to have a stranglehold on their entire sector.

Liberals must be able to see the forest for the trees, and compromise on this. Conservatives must be able to compromise on some social issues. While I don't agree with gay marriage, it is no business of the Federal government's. Same with abortion.

The LP makes for a great place to compromise. But instead of everyone working together to make our OWN changes, we instead wait until election season and pick whatever bullshit the media hands to us. EVERYTIME. And then we complain about it, while simultaneously saying there's nothing we can do about it because 3rd parties never win.

3rd parties never win because we just don't WANT them to BAD enough.

This country is OURS. If we are going to stand by and watch big business and Washington slowly steal it away from us piece by piece each year, then we probably DESERVE the bullshit we're getting.

There are still two HUGE rp banners facing highway 70 between the east 128 and 150 mile marker. Every time I drive past I tell myself to take a picture. It's not 22 miles long, i just forget where it is exactly.. but, It's there..

Compromise, did you say?

:eusa_whistle:

I hope my faithful followers enjoy reading your post.

You want "change"?

How about getting rid of the Federal Reserve's monopoly on currency, and allowing competition into the market. Let the market decide which currency makes the most sense, instead of being forced to use worthless paper whose value is manipulated in behind the scenes meetings of elite bankers, with barebones congressional oversight.

Let's restore REAL purchasing power to Americans.

THAT'S change.

Now THIS is funny... seems the repubs might need another slogan:

GOP's New Slogan Already Being Used To Market Anti-Depressant
May 12, 2008 03:41 PM

Leave it to the tone deaf GOP to find a way of attaching themselves to this election cycle's "change" mandate that simultaneously reinforces the fact that their failed policies have messed up the world to such an inhuman extent that many Americans now live their daily lives in a state of free-floating panic and paralyzing anxiety.

In today's New York Times' Caucus blog, Carl Hulse reports that House Republicans have got themselves a brand-new slogan:

It looks like Republicans will counter the Democratic push for change from the years of the Bush administration with their own pledge to deliver, drum roll please, "the change you deserve." The first element of the party agenda developed over the past few months by the leadership and select party members will focus on family issues.

"Through our "Change You Deserve" message and through our "American Families Agenda," House Republicans will continue our efforts to speak directly to an American public looking for leaders who will offer real solutions for the challenges they confront every day," said the memo prepared for lawmakers.

What the GOP doesn't seem to realize, because they are idiots, is that "the change you deserve" is the registered advertising slogan of Effexor XR, a drug that many of you might have started taking as a result of all the...you know -- terrorism. (Hat tip to Bluestem for catching this gem.)

Effexor, also known as Venlafaxine, is approved for the treatment "of depression, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder in adults." Its common side effects are very much in keeping with the world the House Republicans have striven to build: nausea, apathy, constipation, fatigue, vertigo, sexual dysfunction, sweating, memory loss, and - and I swear I am not making this up - "electric shock-like sensations also called 'brain zaps.'"

Its less common side effects are equally awesome in their appropriateness.

And when the Food And Drug Administration reviewed the ad copy that included the tagline, "The change you deserve," it took issue with Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, which manufactures Effexor, saying that the company made "unsubstantiated superiority claims." Sounds like the GOP have picked an ironically accurate tagline for their efforts!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/12/gops-new-slogan-already-b_n_101376.html

Now THIS is funny... seems the repubs might need another slogan:

There are times when trademark and copyright laws do not prevent infringement, especially when there is little risk of confusion.

But using the same slogan for a cure for depression - Effexor- and a cause of depression - Republicans - seems likely to create confusion.

New Topics

Forum List

Back