The case for speed cameras destroyed in a flash

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dmp, Sep 29, 2006.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Speed enforcement? 98% about TAXATION via Citation. Revenue. NOT safety - but a blind, ingorant public won't buy it. They will sit back on their laurels and chant "speed kills! speed kills!" because they are too lazy to understand WHY that statement is wrong, AND they want to feel better about their lack of driving skill. Yup. I'm telling you all - The BEST chance is, you SUCK as a driver. It's not an insult, just reality. I bet MOST drivers have the skill to use even 50% of their car's handling and braking ability. What do we do? We 'demand' Driver Babysitters and extra airbags and..oh yeah! A Citation to that guy driving 70mph in a 60, and passing on the right because our oblivious ass is driving in the left lane.

Dont. Get. Me. Started...(sigh)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    To some extent, speeding is dangerous. It increases stop distance and makes crashes deadlier, but most speeding ticket programs are about taxation through citation. If you're speeding, the burden is on you to either slow down or get around the slow guys. If you're going too slow in the left lane, then the burden is on everybody else to dodge you.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Then it's not the speeding - is the decision to speed in the context where one would have to stop suddenly. If the slow guys would stay to ONE part of the road, I wouldn't have to go around them. :)

:D

4. misterblu

misterblu Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    So we should be ticketing left lane campers and leaving the 'speeders' alone. :thup:

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    :clap: :clap:

We should also use cameras to ticket red-light runners.

6. misterblu

misterblu Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64

Eh? No thanks.

That's been abused in the past, and will continue to be abused in the future.

In addition, there are a few studies out there that show an increase in rear-enders in intersections once red-light cameras are installed.

:thumbdown:

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Someone (probably Darin) posted that yellow lights need to be on for 3-4 seconds in an intersection to make sure people don't slam on their brakes unnecessarily. I'm fine with that. But egregious (sp?) red-light runners hold up traffic, especially at intersections with shorter lights. The purpose of traffic lights should be to keep traffic flowing as smoothly as possible, but red-light runners screw that up.

8. misterblu

misterblu Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64

While I totally agree with that red-light runners suck, I don't think that installing cameras at intersections is a good solution. Not only is the temptation to lower yellow light cycle time to increase revenue too great, but people caught in 'marginal' situations are much more likely to slam on their brakes instead of continue through.

Oh, and I would think that the amount of time needed for a yellow light would be proportional to speed. 3-4 seconds might cover all speeds from 25-50mph, but I somehow doubt it. Especially considering the different surfaces and conditions present (icy, wet, etc).

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I like cake. :)

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Red-light cameras are working here. T-bone accidents are down at intersections where the are installed. As far as yellow light time, there are standards. Here it's 1 second for every 10 mph of the posted speed limit. So, lowering the cycle time would be reason for dismisal if you went to court.

I'm for tickets for any violation of traffic law, an support straight to jail for some.