The case for price gouging

Imagine a world where we actually had a free market and people could get what they need.

When I published my column making the case against legal bans on "price-gouging" in the wake of disasters, I got too primary negative reactions. Some folks were outraged that I'd be picking on this small topic amidst vast human tragedy. Others, like Chris Hayes, opined that my view was already conventional wisdom and barely counted as a Slatepitch.

But look at these photos of miles-long lines for gasoline in New Jersey and you'll see that there's a real issue here. The Christie administration fined a gas station for breaking price gouging rules back in September, and issued a press release before Sandy hit noting that case and explicitly warning retailers not to respond to the hurricane by raising prices. The failure to allow prices to adjust doesn't magically eliminate the supply side problems, it just means that the gasoline is misollacated and lots of people need to waste time in line. You can also see that the combination of shortage and underpricing seems to be leading people to overconsume when they do get to the front of the line.

Gas lines in New Jersey: The state needs more price gouging.

Perhaps a good place to start would be if we stopped defining "price gouging" as "charging more for something than I personally want to pay". God, I get so tired of the spoiled little babies in adult bodies who spend their whole lives whining that someone should make the world magically perfect and eternally convenient for them.

If you don't want to buy gas from them...DON'T! If too many people are too chickenshit to buy from them, they won't come.

whether or not i buy from them has no effect on how safe they are.

duh

You people have no clue how the free market works. If enough people felt gypsy gas sellers were too unsafe, and did not buy from them, the sellers would not be able to succeed. So gypsy sellers would have to make their operations safe enough for people to feel comfortable buying gas from them.

:lmao:

yeah, we're not as smart as you. :thup:

Imagine a world where we actually had a free market and people could get what they need.

When I published my column making the case against legal bans on "price-gouging" in the wake of disasters, I got too primary negative reactions. Some folks were outraged that I'd be picking on this small topic amidst vast human tragedy. Others, like Chris Hayes, opined that my view was already conventional wisdom and barely counted as a Slatepitch.

But look at these photos of miles-long lines for gasoline in New Jersey and you'll see that there's a real issue here. The Christie administration fined a gas station for breaking price gouging rules back in September, and issued a press release before Sandy hit noting that case and explicitly warning retailers not to respond to the hurricane by raising prices. The failure to allow prices to adjust doesn't magically eliminate the supply side problems, it just means that the gasoline is misollacated and lots of people need to waste time in line. You can also see that the combination of shortage and underpricing seems to be leading people to overconsume when they do get to the front of the line.

Gas lines in New Jersey: The state needs more price gouging.

Perhaps a good place to start would be if we stopped defining "price gouging" as "charging more for something than I personally want to pay". God, I get so tired of the spoiled little babies in adult bodies who spend their whole lives whining that someone should make the world magically perfect and eternally convenient for them.

then why don't you stop?

no i said option 3. Law and order. I see you are one of those slimy people who are willing to take advantage of people in need.

if im willing to pay 6 00 for gas, how is he taking advantage of me?

apparently, the same way everyone else is

frequently

That is how commerce works. Price discovery. You provide a product and I decide how much I am willing to pay for it.

When a bunch of people get hysterical months before a new game station comes out, and so the maker of that product jacks the price up, is that "taking advantage" of people? When the demand drops and you find the same toy in the bargain bin a year later, was the maker gouging their customers when it was a higher price?

No.

That's market forces at work. It's a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Ok this isnt a free market problem.....

I know, it is a government regulation problem. In a free market there would be gas in New Jersey.

Because your "free market" tanker trucks can transform into helicopters and fly into N.J. And if all the people waiting in the mile-long gas lines would just start singing 'Born in the U.S.A.' that would magically power the gas pumps....

Tell us what else goes on in this 'free market' of yours....

whether or not i buy from them has no effect on how safe they are.

duh

You people have no clue how the free market works. If enough people felt gypsy gas sellers were too unsafe, and did not buy from them, the sellers would not be able to succeed. So gypsy sellers would have to make their operations safe enough for people to feel comfortable buying gas from them.

:lmao:

yeah, we're not as smart as you. :thup:

You seem to believe the government is smarter than you and is better able to decide for you how you should live.

Enjoy your four hour wait.

Ok this isnt a free market problem.....

I know, it is a government regulation problem. In a free market there would be gas in New Jersey.

Because your "free market" tanker trucks can transform into helicopters and fly into N.J. And if all the people waiting in the mile-long gas lines would just start singing 'Born in the U.S.A.' that would magically power the gas pumps....

In a free market station owners would be able to charge enough money to afford to pump the gas out of their storage tanks instead of being forced to sell it at rates dictated by the state.

The reason these laws exist is because after a disaster, regardless of size, consumers are stuck with enormous costs connected to survival and rebuilding, plus the loss of income from work. They can't afford to pay $7 per gallon (yeah, it's $7, not $6) for gas.

Anyone that takes advantage of someone that's suffering, that may even have lost a family member, deserves to die alone in the rain in a dark alley.

The reason these laws exist is because after a disaster, regardless of size, consumers are stuck with enormous costs connected to survival and rebuilding, plus the loss of income from work. They can't afford to pay $7 per gallon (yeah, it's $7, not $6) for gas.

Anyone that takes advantage of someone that's suffering, that may even have lost a family member, deserves to die alone in the rain in a dark alley.

What a pathetic Appeal To Emotion logical fallacy.

"Sorry I was four hours late to work, boss. I had to stop for gas."

Last edited:
Sorry, boys, there's no work today. The earthquake/tornado/hurricane flattened the factory.

Sorry for being late boss, but the earthquake/tornado/hurricane killed my mom and flattened my house.

if im willing to pay 6 00 for gas, how is he taking advantage of me?

frequently

That is how commerce works. Price discovery. You provide a product and I decide how much I am willing to pay for it.

When a bunch of people get hysterical months before a new game station comes out, and so the maker of that product jacks the price up, is that "taking advantage" of people? When the demand drops and you find the same toy in the bargain bin a year later, was the maker gouging their customers when it was a higher price?

No.

Gas-truck-crashes-in-Mass-driver-dies-3O87N7M-x-large.jpg

^

not an xbox

keep swinging

again i know libs hate this word, but what if i choose to want to pay that much for gas so i can get it faster?

again i know libs hate this word, but what if i choose to want to pay that much for gas so i can get it faster?

if you choose to be bent over and be assfucked for a gallon of gas, you're welcome to do it as far as i'm concerned.

post pix

Sorry, boys, there's no work today. The earthquake/tornado/hurricane flattened the factory.

Sorry for being late boss, but the earthquake/tornado/hurricane killed my mom and flattened my house.

There's a reason it is called the Appeal to Emotion Logical Fallacy.

frequently

No.

^

not an xbox

keep swinging

Was that a gas gypsy?

No.

FAIL.

if you choose to be bent over and be assfucked for a gallon of gas, you're welcome to do it as far as i'm concerned.

post pix

I'd be laughing my ass off as I passed you in your four hour gas line.

No.

^

not an xbox

keep swinging

Was that a gas gypsy?

No.

FAIL.

it was a gas tanker. do you think the gypsies, which don't exist, will meet with a lot of success selling non-flammable gas, einstein?

In a free market station owners would be able to charge enough money to afford to pump the gas out of their storage tanks instead of being forced to sell it at rates dictated by the state.

they can't pump with our electricity you moron.
Your free market is irrelevant.

Forum List

Back