The case for more "government" ?

How much trust do you put in government control / influence?

• The federal Government needs greater control over the private sector

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Individual States should be allowed to govern themselves more than the Federal Government

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • We need less government involvement effecting our daily lives

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I have another view, which I would like to share in this thread.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShaklesOfBigGov

Restore the Republic
Nov 19, 2010
Near Washington D.C.
From providing Americans with Health Care to creating jobs, some hold the belief that "government" (whether State or Federal) can do a better job than the private sector. It's this ideology of bigger verses smaller that will become one of the main focuses in this next Presidential election.

Just how much should the government be involved in the affairs of the private sector and our daily lives? What has the Federal Government actually done to prove THEY can do a better job of providing what they "believe" the American people really want?

When you look into the financial track record in Washington D.C. that's attributed to allowing "politics" to dictate policy over accountability, there ALWAYS seems to closely follow the issue of big budgets and government waste. Is there a case to prove the belief in Bigger Government, and that they can do a better job than the private sector? What are the arguments, and Constitutional basis, that support a greater Federal influence and intervention in our daily lives?

Is This Gov’t Waste?: Third Courthouse Costing Los Angeles Taxpayers $400 Million, But No Shovel Has Hit Ground
Is This Gov’t Waste?: Third Courthouse Costing Los Angeles Taxpayers $400 Million, But No Shovel Has Hit Ground | Fox News Insider

Since the early 1990s, the General Services Administration (GSA) and
the federal judiciary (judiciary) have been carrying out a multibillion-
dollar courthouse construction initiative.

In 2000 the judiciary requested and GSA proposed building a new courthouse in
downtown Los Angeles in order to increase security, efficiency, and
space. In response, Congress authorized and appropriated about $400
million for the project. GAO was asked to provide information on the
construction of the L.A. courthouse. This report answers: (1) What is
the status of the construction of a new federal courthouse in Los
Angeles? (2) What effects have any delays in the project had on its
costs and court operations? (3) What options are available for the
future of the project?

What GAO Found:
GSA initially estimated in 2000 that the L.A. Court could take occupancy of a new courthouse in fiscal year 2006, but occupancy has been delayed by 8 years to fiscal year 2014 at the earliest. GSA has spent $16.3 million designing a new courthouse and $16.9 million acquiring and preparing a new site for it in downtown Los Angeles. Since no construction has occurred.

Due to the delays, estimated costs for housing the L.A. Court have nearly tripled to over $1.1 billion, rendering GSA’s currently authorized 41-courtroom courthouse unachievable and causing the L.A. Court’s problems to persist. Because current cost estimates exceed authorized and appropriated amounts, GSA will need to obtain congressional approval to move forward on any plan.

GAO’s analysis showed that four options exist for the L.A. Courthouse project, which require balancing needs for courtroom space, congressional approval, and additional estimated appropriations of up to $733 million.
GAO-08-889, Federal Courthouse Construction: Estimated Costs to House the L.A. District Court Have Tripled and There Is No Consensus on How to Proceed

Last edited:
I just don't understand it. Government caused our economy to suck. Government caused unemployment and government wastes money...yet liberals want more government. I swear if I was a conspiracy theorist I would say liberals just want to destroy their country.

I just don't understand it. Government caused our economy to suck. Government caused unemployment and government wastes money...yet liberals want more government. I swear if I was a conspiracy theorist I would say liberals just want to destroy their country.

Liberals?
I expect such from Liberals. Explain to me why so called conservatives have in the past twenty years jumped on the government knows best bandwagon.

As much government as needed to provide life liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all individuals.

Unfortunatly both Democrats and Republicans have supported their own version of big government control. The question that remains is how much government control are you willing to accept and in what form? You have one concept that believes everyone should simply be given Health Care as if it's a form of Constitutional right but believe in the "moral rights" of a terrorist that suffers from interrogations. On the other side, you have the belief in the obligations to defend the Constitution and it's people through military might, using this as the means of interrogating terrorists through water boarding, while holding their "moral ground" of social issues like abortion. What should the role of government be?

Last edited:

Liberals?
I expect such from Liberals. Explain to me why so called conservatives have in the past twenty years jumped on the government knows best bandwagon.

because they are neocons, and neocons are the same as liberals when it comes to government growth.

As much government as needed to provide life liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all individuals.

youre an idiot. liberty is unalienable even by government. government does not provide ANYTHING without pilfering others. I suggest you read "The Law" by bastiat, its on books.google.com for free. Although I know you wont read it because you don't like objective study and are a hack, but still...knowledge is there if you ever change your mind.

Liberals?
Because they weren't Conservatives to begin with? NOT Classical Liberals?:eusa_whistle:

Touch of RINO in the DNA?

Forum List

Back