The Case Against free speech: we need to combat fascism, my friends

During the last three years, there has been more censorship on Facebook, Twitter, discussion forums, etc.

Some people cheer this development.
Some people deplore this development.

I personally have no doubt whatsoever that censorship on the Web will continue to expand as the term "hate speech" is stretched ever wider.

In plain English, the original idea that the Web would allow all views to be aired is now outdated.

Many people in power now feel that the Web should allow only "correct" views to be aired. And those people in power will define the word "correct."

the reason you think is so that your thoughts die before you die.

we need clarity of thought, my friends!

the first people totalitarians destroy and silence are men of ideas and free minds, my friends. i'm not like that!

Last night, Dastardly Dave Chapelle issued a hysterical and pointed defense of free speech and comedy. "The First Amendment is first for a reason. The Second Amendment is just in case the first one doesn't work out."

" Freedom of speech — the ability to discuss ideas, makes this country so great. When we take away that fundamental principle, when we silence dissent for the sake of “utopia,” we crush what propels true progress." - Dastardly Dave Rubin

From the WaPost:

"Michelle Carter, the woman who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for urging her suicidal boyfriend to kill himself in text messages, was released from a Massachusetts jail Thursday more than three months early. She had been serving a 15-month sentence. Carter, now 23, accrued enough credits for good behavior and attending jail programs, according to the AP. Her boyfriend, Conrad Roy II, who was 18 at the time of his death, poisoned himself with carbon monoxide in a Kmart parking lot in Fairhaven, Mass. in 2014 after exchanging text messages and speaking twice on the phone with Carter that day. She lived about 50 miles away. Last week, the Supreme Court announced that it would not review Carter's conviction after she asked the court to vacate it on the grounds that her right to free speech under the First Amendment protected her from being responsible for Roy’s suicide."

the fake media is a propaganda tool. Noam Chomsky and Trump agree on that!
Trumpy Bear was all about the Birther Lies. That, and Obama's humiliating him at a Press Dinner, were the genesis of his looking at the GOP for his presidential run.

But the Know Nothings, and the Whigs towards the end, and the pro-Slavery political movements were all based on known false beliefs, yet somehow the Republic soldiered (-: on. Chomsky's genius in psychology and how we process (for lack of a better word in my vocabulary) ideas, doesn't necessarily make him right about right about everything. But no doubt when the powers in society literally own the messaging on some issue, free speech doesn't exist. But ironically its really libertarianism and anarchy that have fueled the ability of a few people to use social media to intentionally push false conspiracies. Imo, that is the current danger facing free speech.

from the Washington Examiner:

Iowa State's anti-free-speech policies threaten Democrats and Republicans alike ahead of caucuses

"
Students at Iowa State University are effectively being muzzled by campus administrators, barred from using their campus email to advertise political events and barred from “chalking” campus sidewalks with political messages.

Imagine being a politically active college student in a state with an early primary or caucus and being unable to engage or mobilize peers to attend candidate town halls and rallies. It’s a crushing thing and a missed learning opportunity for students, candidates, and undecided Iowa voters.

As Benjamin Franklin once said, “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” That Iowa State is silencing its student body isn’t a “Republican” or a “Democratic” problem, it’s a problem all face, and it threatens the integrity of our political process."

from the Washington Examiner:

Iowa State's anti-free-speech policies threaten Democrats and Republicans alike ahead of caucuses

"
Students at Iowa State University are effectively being muzzled by campus administrators, barred from using their campus email to advertise political events and barred from “chalking” campus sidewalks with political messages.

Imagine being a politically active college student in a state with an early primary or caucus and being unable to engage or mobilize peers to attend candidate town halls and rallies. It’s a crushing thing and a missed learning opportunity for students, candidates, and undecided Iowa voters.

As Benjamin Franklin once said, “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” That Iowa State is silencing its student body isn’t a “Republican” or a “Democratic” problem, it’s a problem all face, and it threatens the integrity of our political process."
students don't have free speech right on public or private campuses. But I suspect they are allowed to meet and discuss and even organize to canvass for support.

this is how we end racism and inequality

free speech is a hollow signifier, a guise for the wealthy and powerful to oppress the poor.

519oS1BsaNL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This MUST be the purest form of irony EVER!!!
:laughing0301:

Commies trying to justify the means of bringing about their tyranny.

This is why I believe most of the racism bullshit is another tool of the commie horde trying to drive a wedge so they can divide and conquer.

This is also why guns must go, for commies. They know if we have guns, we will have free speech.

free speech is a hollow signifier, a guise for the wealthy and powerful to oppress the poor.

This is why I believe most of the racism bullshit is another tool of the commie horde trying to drive a wedge so they can divide and conquer.

This is also why guns must go, for commies. They know if we have guns, we will have free speech.

I'm not in total agreement with Mosowitz but I think something got lost in translation for you. LOL

I'm not in total agreement with Mosowitz but I think something got lost in translation for you. LOL

What got lost in translation?

You don't see the irony of using free speech to write and publish a book advocating AGAINST free speech?

They don't have a platform on which to deliver their messages (a message that fails in the market place of ideas), so they want NO ONE ELSE to have a platform.

people are free only if and only if their material conditions are equal, my friends

So I was actually a slave for 18 months in the NYS prison system, cleaning roads and parks and other forced labor under the condition that I would be allowed to parole two years early.

Stop talking about shit you don't understand.

I don't have much "material" but I'm certainly a free man today.

"free speech is ALL speech. you're either for all of it, or for none of it" - Ravenous Rob Schneider

the 1st amendment is racist. it was written by slaveholders.

SHUT UP AND OBEY, MY FRIENDS!

Forum List

Back