The capitalist network that runs the world

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Revealed

An analysis of the relationships between 43,000 transnational corporations has identified a relatively small group of companies, mainly banks, with disproportionate power over the global economy.

The study's assumptions have attracted some criticism, but complex systems analysts contacted by New Scientist say it is a unique effort to untangle control in the global economy. Pushing the analysis further, they say, could help to identify ways of making global capitalism more stable.

The idea that a few bankers control a large chunk of the global economy might not seem like news to New York's Occupy Wall Street movement and protesters elsewhere (see photo). But the study, by a trio of complex systems theorists at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, is the first to go beyond ideology to empirically identify such a network of power. It combines the mathematics long used to model natural systems with comprehensive corporate data to map ownership among the world's transnational corporations (TNCs).

And how do they control the world, TM? What mechanism forces us to bend to their will?

Try thinking! It won't hurt.

Sorry, that was cruel. And untrue. Sometimes it can hurt - quite a lot.

• Banned
The top 50 of the 147 superconnected companies

1. Barclays plc
2. Capital Group Companies Inc
3. FMR Corporation
4. AXA
5. State Street Corporation
6. JP Morgan Chase & Co
7. Legal & General Group plc
8. Vanguard Group Inc
9. UBS AG
10. Merrill Lynch & Co Inc
11. Wellington Management Co LLP
12. Deutsche Bank AG
13. Franklin Resources Inc
14. Credit Suisse Group
15. Walton Enterprises LLC
16. Bank of New York Mellon Corp
17. Natixis
18. Goldman Sachs Group Inc
19. T Rowe Price Group Inc
20. Legg Mason Inc
21. Morgan Stanley
22. Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc
23. Northern Trust Corporation
24. Société Générale
25. Bank of America Corporation
26. Lloyds TSB Group plc
27. Invesco plc
28. Allianz SE 29. TIAA
30. Old Mutual Public Limited Company
31. Aviva plc
32. Schroders plc
33. Dodge & Cox
34. Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc*
35. Sun Life Financial Inc
36. Standard Life plc
37. CNCE
38. Nomura Holdings Inc
39. The Depository Trust Company
40. Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance
41. ING Groep NV
42. Brandes Investment Partners LP
43. Unicredito Italiano SPA
44. Deposit Insurance Corporation of Japan
45. Vereniging Aegon
46. BNP Paribas
47. Affiliated Managers Group Inc
48. Resona Holdings Inc
49. Capital Group International Inc
50. China Petrochemical Group Company

• Banned
You see much of the magic of a free market is the markets ability to quickly replace the people who fail because someone is waiting for the opportunity to fill the spot.

When you make it all too interconnected and BIG there is NOONE standing in the wings to fill the spot of those who fail.

why is it so many so called advocates of the free market can NEVER understand that?

Last edited:
You see much of the magic of a free market it the markets ability to quickly replace the people who fail because someone is waiting for the opportunity to fill the spot.

When you make it all too interconnected and BIG there is NOONE standing in the wongs to fill the spot of those who fail.

why is it so many so called advocates of the free market can NEVER understand that?

Because it isn't clear? What are you talking about? Seriously. Not being a smart ass, but I didn't get anything like that out of the article.

Haven't read the article yet, I will.

I have a question that you might know the answer to. Is a member of Congress allowed to moonlight. In other words can a Congressman legally hold a paying job with a company while being a sitting Congressman?

did you even read it donny?

Did you? What did you get out of it?

How would you like to find a comment that is more than a personal insult for me?

Ok. I'll apologize for opening with an insult. But, for what it's worth, your posting history invites that level of discourse.

In any case, my comment/question stands and I consider it quite relevant. Statists are so eager to cite the domination of worldwide corporations to justify worldwide domination by government instead. They do this without, apparently, even considering the role government plays in maintaining the structure that keeps the illicit power in place.

I'm not saying government can do nothing about the problem, but as things are, it's pathetically easy for the money-masters to divert efforts at reform to their benefit (eg. PPACA). Dumb government is worse than no government at all.

some one is going to rule.

You want corporations instead of governments run by the people to rule?

Kings and queens baby

that is what you get.

Let them eat cake and off with their heads type of world

You see much of the magic of a free market it the markets ability to quickly replace the people who fail because someone is waiting for the opportunity to fill the spot.

When you make it all too interconnected and BIG there is NOONE standing in the wongs to fill the spot of those who fail.

Because it isn't clear? What are you talking about? Seriously. Not being a smart ass, but I didn't get anything like that out of the article.

The whole damned article was about the interconnectedness of these comapnies with a vast amount of power

Now heres a little clue for the right in this country that fights so hard ofr corporations.

They are not all Americans

And yet none of those companies has any real bearing on your life or your ability to do anything.

So they don't really rule the world do they?

While I agree that the study is very accurate in its map of ownership I believe it make too far a leap in its assumption of power and control.

Even in small companies the left hand often does not know what the right hand is doing. In order to exert control over a situation one must be in control of oneself. I just don't believe that exists, especially since, while small in some senses, as a force of influence the number is far too large.

Are there problems with the 'system'? Absolutely. A large part of this is probably more due to the dysfunctionality (apparently there is no such word, sp?) of the system which one might like to be governed.

some one is going to rule.

This is the authoritarian premise in a nutshell, but I reject it.
You want corporations instead of governments run by the people to rule?

We want law and order, but we don't have to subjugate ourselves to 'rulers' - whether those rulers are corporations or 'the people'.

I agree with your first sentence. In your second sentence does not the first part, 'We want law and order', require the second? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying.

So banks and multi-national corps have been given massive favoritism secured through the force/collusion of government? Tell me more about how we need more government.

Forum List

Back