The campaign for 2004

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
war.281.gif

The thing is: Kerry made this issue the central one of his campaign. That's undeniable. His plan for the future seems to consist mostly of vagueness.

Does this cartoon, then, constitute the DNC's refutation of the "swift boat stuff"?

Wow. Devastating.

rtwngAvngr said:
The thing is: Kerry made this issue the central one of his campaign. That's undeniable. His plan for the future seems to consist mostly of vagueness.

that's why I see him not faring too well in the debates, for once he will have to talk more about his actual ideas and his Senate voting record than Vietnam. (Though no doubt he will throw in "When I was in Vietnam...blah blah blah blah" a couple times in his answers)

He will have to say more than the country is going to hell in a handbasket. Just repeating "Health Care For All!" over and over won't cut it. And I am interested in hearing how repealing tax cuts gives people more money :confused:

I guess I'm just puzzled by the Democrats' reaction to a piddling $250,000 worth of SBV ads. For all their legal maneuvering and hysterical shrieking, not one of their moves has involved a credible challenge to the factual accuracy of the ads. Seems like that would have been the first order of business.

They are going hysterical because those ads are actually hurting Kerry. A lot. What makes me laugh is that Dems are still demading Bush denounce the SBVT ads, even though he has already done so by denouncing all 527's; which is something that Kerry cannot seem to bring himself to do for some reason.

DKSuddeth said:

Dk, if there were penalties for posting, this one would get you 15 yards and loss of down. That little cartoon strip is absolute garbage on so many levels. While the strip does not identify a political party by name, it is obvious that it is an attack on Republicans.

First it insinuates that the Swift Boat Vets as playing a game "for fun". You know as well as I that such a characterization is dishonest. SBVFT has presented its grievances with john kerry in a serious and straighforward manner. I doubt that any of them are sitting back and giggling or tallying up the "point" score. Do they have an agenda? You bet they do, - they earned the right to have one. But I do not believe that their agenda is designed to benefit Republicans. It is designed to defeat kerry and to reveal him as a conscienceless vulture who lied and cheated his way through his military service and now seeks to profit by it.

Second, the strip suggests that the Republican campaign is sponsoring or is directly connected with the SBVFT. That is an outright lie. These vets are people just like you or I who have a right to voice their opinions regardless if others like it or not. If Republicans are the beneficiary, it is strictly by coincidence. If kerry were a Republican, I am confident that the SBVFT would be going after him and the Democrats would be chortling.

Third, the strip insinuates that the Swift Boat controversy is all that there is to the campaign. That too is an outright lie. The Republican campaign has taken great pains to avoid this issue and has instead concentrated on criticism of kerry's record and Pres. Bush's achievements. Anyone who hasn't been in a coma should recognize that. It is kerry and the Democrats who have obsessed about the Swift Boat ads.

Finally, in typical lib fashion, the strip seeks to marginalize the SBVFT not by proving that their assertions lack merit, but instead by attempting to characterize the Swift Boat Vets as petulant children whose grievances with kerry are not worthy of consideration by "adults". Don't know about you, but I'm tired of the distorting, ducking, dodging and tap-dancing which has characterized the Democratic campaign. Perhaps it is a measure of their ever increasing desperation that they now resort to demonizing veterans and calling them liars and children. I suppose that the Democrats are reverting to their favorite fall-back tactic - if you can't convince 'em with facts, baffle 'em with bullshit. That is exactly what is happening here. Despite concerted efforts to demolish the SBVFT's ads and statements, the best they have been able to do is pick apart a few inconsistencies.

I know that the author of this strip is probably no more connected with the Democratic party than the SBVFT is with the Republicans. But the fact remains that the attitude and sentiments expressed mirror those emanating from the DNC.

I suppose that, if you're a Democrat, it must be damn frustrating that they can't parade the truth about their candidate because that would certainly destroy his chances.

and for all of those reasons you provided, thats why I find it funny. Why would you penalize me for laughing at kerrys desperation?

DKSuddeth said:
and for all of those reasons you provided, thats why I find it funny. Why would you penalize me for laughing at kerrys desperation?

It's football season.

That's what I do.

:banana:

Forum List

Back