The CA Silly People Are At It Again!

Honey, I'm going to take the eighteen year old babysitter home now.

Oh I can only imagine Wiener doing that.

hey you want to see something cool.... On my cell phone?

twliight_zone.jpg
His remark reminded me of the scene from 'World According To Garp' and the babysitter...

How 'bout a neutral link so we can find out what's really going on? So far all we know is Pubs love their illegal workers...

AB 889 (Ammiano and V. Manuel Pérez): Domestic work employees. (California Assembly Bill)

AB 889 Assembly Bill - AMENDED

Better formatting.

From the text:

(b) (1) "Domestic work employee" means an individual who performs
domestic work and includes live-in domestic work employees and
personal attendants.
(2) "Domestic work employee" does not include any of the
following:
(B) Any person who is the parent, grandparent, spouse, sibling,
child, or legally adopted child of the domestic work employer.
(C) Any person under 18 years of age who is employed as a
babysitter for a minor child of the domestic work employer.
(g) "Personal attendant" means a person who performs domestic work
related to the supervision, feeding, or dressing of a child or other
person who, by reason of advanced age, physical disability, or
mental deficiency, needs supervision. Personal attendant includes
babysitters. The status of "personal attendant" applies if no
significant amount of work other than the foregoing is required.
Seems to me that an unrelated, over-18 babysitter would fall under this law.

Seems to me that an unrelated, over-18 babysitter would fall under this law.

And let me add, since I'm one of the vocal liberals on here, this part of the law is unfortunate. It will have a negative impact on parents and college students looking to make some extra money. I think I understand why they use the language they use, but they should amend the minimum age for sitters and raise it to 22 or so.

Not a single lefty wacko to comment?? rdummy? shjitao? wrongwinger? failo???

none?.....ok since i live here ill be the guest lefty......i think its about time baby sitters were given the compensation they deserve while they are watching the little tykes.....its a rough job.....you fucking Righties are all the same....because its a 15 year old kid getting the money and not some big corporation your all bent out of shape about it.....remember.....6% of all baby sitters are Republican......

Tom Amiano wants parents who hire a babysitter over the age of 18 who is not a family member to provide workers comp, vacation time and they also have to provide a "sitter" for them (my words) so that they can take breaks and have a meal etc. The lunacy of the left never ceases to amaze me.

"How will parents react when they find out they will be expected to provide workers' compensation benefits, rest and meal breaks and paid vacation time for…babysitters? Dinner and a movie night may soon become much more complicated.

Assembly Bill 889 (authored by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, will require these protections for all “domestic employees,” including nannies, housekeepers and caregivers.

The bill has already passed the Assembly and is quickly moving through the Senate with blanket support from the Democrat members that control both houses of the Legislature – and without the support of a single Republican member. Assuming the bill will easily clear its last couple of legislative hurdles, AB 889 will soon be on its way to the Governor's desk.

Under AB 889, household “employers” (aka “parents”) who hire a babysitter on a Friday night will be legally obligated to pay at least minimum wage to any sitter over the age of 18 (unless it is a family member), provide a substitute caregiver every two hours to cover rest and meal breaks, in addition to workers' compensation coverage, overtime pay, and a meticulously calculated timecard/paycheck.

Failure to abide by any of these provisions may result in a legal cause of action against the employer including cumulative penalties, attorneys' fees, legal costs and expenses associated with hiring expert witnesses, an unprecedented measure of legal recourse provided no other class of workers – from agricultural laborers to garment manufacturers. (On the bright side, language requiring an hour of paid vacation time for every 30 hours worked was amended out of the bill in the Senate.)

Unfortunately, the unreasonable costs and risks contained in this bill will discourage folks from hiring housekeepers, nannies and babysitters and increase the use of institutionalized care rather than allowing children, the sick or elderly to be cared for in their homes. I can't help but wonder if that is the goal of AB 889 – a terrible bill that needs to be stopped.

More information on the text and status of the bill can be accessed from my webpage at senate.ca.gov/lamalfa."

Solyndra to Declare Bankruptcy | NBC Bay Area
LET KaleeFORNYA continue into the abyss...And when they go belly up? THEY had not better ask me for my taxes to bail thier sorry asses out for another LOSER of an idea....and this shit had better not creep into my airspace...

its on its way T.....saw the plane fly over this morning......had a banner saying...."we are on our way to T's"......:lol:

Forum List

Back