The Bursting Point

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Sep 4, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    coming soon

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Did you get this off DU, nato? this is utter shit.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What would a NYT article be without slipping Abu Ghraib in?

I'm not getting this reaction at all. Sorry, but I don't see a locally-unique problem (ineffective seawalls) as the responsibility of the Federal government.

I DO see the ieeffectiveness and invisibility of the LA state-and-local governments as a GLARING issue.

I also see a lot of people frozen, incapable of decisiveness without "Big Brother" around to hold their hands. In a nutshell, the Dem gov't in LA let down their own sheep.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Being fair or nonpartisan does NOT mean giving equal consideration to both lies and the truth.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    This is pure BS!!

They need to lay off this poor against rich, black white BS...

I just heard the x-Mayor of NO on Meet The Press say that
    during his administration a public pole revealed that 50% of the population would NOT
    evacuate if told to do so

Now come on folks, whose responsible here? This may be Cold hearted but, should we just let Darwin do his work?

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    We'll see how your reactions to a conservative writer (once the shining star at the Weekly Standard, now their premier columnist at the NYT (the only one other than tierney who isn't a frothing liberal) has written some rather fascinating books and essays about the "exburbs" and politics in general, basically saying republicans are building the majority for the future and how that's a good thing) giving you his take on the situation jive with what is happening in America in the coming weeks.

It will be interesting to say the least.

"utter shit" is a better description for the disaster response of everyone from the NO government to FEMA, and the way America is looking to the rest of the world right now as we've failed to fulfill our highest duty; that of taking care of our citizenry.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    would not because they didn't want to or would not because they couldn't?

like my city of miami, a good percentage of the population (perhaps as high as that 50%) do not own a vehicle and live paycheck by paycheck. hence (a) no way to evacuate on their own, financially or practically and (b) a fear of abandonment after they're run out of what little money they had in some hotel hours away from their home.

i guess you all been too well-off for a while, but i still know there are poor people in this country, and while some of them make it good and make out a successful existence, others just aren't so lucky.

they live, and that's about it. at least in america, they live free.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    We ARE taking care of our own. The problem here is that impatient Americans want immediate action and a swift conclusion. IN PERSPECTIVE, a hurricane hit a major US city dead-on. The failure begins with those citizens who decided to stay and extends to city and state governments complete invisibility.

The fact of the matter is, it takes the bureaucracy we live in half of forever to unwind its coils and get into action.

The "x" factors of the fact that NO is seven feet below sea level and inner-city thugs roaming the streets have just made the situation all the more worse.

9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I can almost agree with everything except that part. Other than thrill seekers, I will not blame someone who didn't have the money or vehicle for their not evacuating. That's callous. its nice to point fingers and make generalizations when you don't understand life w/o a vehicle and living paycheck by paycheck. Perhaps you do, and just can't relate. or reasonably, perhaps its been so long that you've forgotten.

The mayor should have evacuated them way before with all those unused buses. Bush should not have been the one to have to tell these idiots in the state and local government to order the evacution. bush can't do everything, he is not God.

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    No. Utter shit is what I call this article.