The brutal truth about American healthcare

Maggie exactly how do you think Obama care is going to reduce costs?

Every other industrialized nation has a national healthcare system and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare.

The real question is, Why are we continuing to be ripped off?

Pay half? Really? And the EXPENSE of what exactly? UNEMPLOYMENT rates?

Chris? You can do better than this. Their plans have failed, and people are DYING...and you want to equate it to COST?

What of the HUMAN COST, Chris?

Witing for treatment as their condition deteriorates, or people DIE waiting?

ANSWER THIS...

Every other industrialized nation has a national healthcare system and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare.

Chris? You can do better than this. Their plans have failed, and people are DYING...and you want to equate it to COST?

ANSWER THIS...

He can't do better than that. You overestimate his cognitive abilities.

ANSWER THIS...

Perhaps I did give a bit much leeway.

I saw a report about this on the news tonight.

I felt so bad for those people, many of them old and sick.

The wealthiest country in the world can't take care of its sick people.

How pathetic are we?

I don't see how a country that is as far in debt as we are can be considered the "wealthiest country in the world."

It's not our job to take care of the sick. They should take care of themselves.

You mean it's up to our employers to take care of us, don't you? That is how it works for most people. Of course, if you lose your job and are sick, or if you move from one state to another and are self-employed, then good luck paying for your own care, because nobody will cover you. Last of all, employers will begin shifting that burden to their employees more and more. When people actually have to start paying for their own healthcare and realize how expensive it really is, you will see many more people supporting drastic changes.

How pathetic are we?

I don't see how a country that is as far in debt as we are can be considered the "wealthiest country in the world."

except for chrissy, who can afford insurance, but is too much of a shitstain to purchase it.

I used to be able to afford it, but when I moved, they raised my rates to over $10,000 per year, just for me. Unfortunately, with the high deductible, there is no way I can afford it. My healthcare costs with insurance coverage would be over $15,000 per year. I guess I shouldn't have gotten sick.

except for chrissy, who can afford insurance, but is too much of a shitstain to purchase it.

I used to be able to afford it, but when I moved, they raised my rates to over $10,000 per year, just for me. Unfortunately, with the high deductible, there is no way I can afford it. My healthcare costs with insurance coverage would be over $15,000 per year. I guess I shouldn't have gotten sick.

It is never a good idea to get sick in America unless you are rich.

It is never a good idea to get sick in America unless you are rich.

yeah even though I'm not rich and still get good care. you lying little shitstain.

"shitstain" is that what passes for a rational debate with you? If that's the only way you can up the intensity level instead of with an argument that has merit, I feel really sorry for you.

If the necessity of such a large event as the OP referenced isn't a HUGE RED FLAG about the state of our healthcare system, I'm not sure what else could be.

I mean are we going to be living like Mad Max in a post-apocalyptic wasteland before people wake up and see there's a problem?

Thing is people who are against public health care in any form dont understand there is already public healthcare (eg. South Carolina man telling his rep to tell the government to keep their hands off Medicare). The so called freedom of choice we are suppose to have, choose any doctor you want people with insurance cant even choose the doctor they want in the first place it has to be part of thier insurers "network". Then the bull about death panels insurance companies have done this already too (eg. Cigna nixing a liver transplant that was a 17-year-old's only chance of survival, and she died and there are plenty more examples to go with this one.). So the BS is is really thick this summer, and the ignorance is even thicker. People need to stop throwing around the bull.

This should be based on keeping people employed in our country cheaper. Providing a suitable, economical, and affordable alternative to Cobra (that shit is expensive). Insurance companies should not be able to decide when to cover or when not to cover your preventative, surgical, or diagostic care, life saving care. When you lose your job you dont have to worry about your kids and wife getting sick.

This is what we should be working towards.:eusa_whistle:

Reduce costs for whom? People who would now be able to afford health insurance or taxpayers?

If taxpayers, the jumping off point needs to be a complete overhaul of how Medicare is paid for, and filling the holes that allow it to cover an unlimited number of the same treatments for the same occurrence when the result will obviously be the same. That's already happened to me, and I've only been on Medicare since January, and I'm only one of 35,000,000. Savings from that will help diminish the red side of the balance sheet.

As to how the mechanisms of any new health care plan will operate, that will be the hard part and isn't even being fully discussed at this time except a national patient database, and already people are bitching about that. There already exists probably at least six people in a single physician's office who have access to a patient records who don't have a need to know.

"shitstain" is that what passes for a rational debate with you? If that's the only way you can up the intensity level instead of with an argument that has merit, I feel really sorry for you.

If the necessity of such a large event as the OP referenced isn't a HUGE RED FLAG about the state of our healthcare system, I'm not sure what else could be.

I mean are we going to be living like Mad Max in a post-apocalyptic wasteland before people wake up and see there's a problem?

It is HE who does not practice rational debate. If you were to refute his claims, he says the same thing over and over again. and there is other history I won't go into.

I understand there are those who can't afford it. Chrissy is not one of them. My heart goes out to you.

he says that you have to be rich to get healthcare which isn't true. I am not rich.

Inglewood is nowhere near Beverly Hills. Try walking it sometime. You need at least a half-hour by freeway from Beverly Hills just to get to LAX, which actually IS a stone's throw from Inglewood.

Maggie even though i wasnt the one who said it was a stones throw away......... its 8 miles away.....which aint shit out here....thats like 5 minutes by freeway....

And I used to live just southeast of Century City (where I worked), and it took me a half hour BY FREEWAY to get to the airport and I was even closer than Beverly Hills to the Santa Monica Freeway. That's all I'm judging it by. I'm sure you can make it through LA surface street traffic to Inglewood much faster, but I never tried, so I'll take your word for it. The premise was the Inglewood can be compared to Beverly Hills because they're "neighbors." Which simply isn't so, and which you would know, if you live in that area.

Actually, I take that back. I have been to Inglewood when my husband was alive and liked to play the ponies. We took the I-10 South to Inglewood from Santa Monica to get to the track where we used to park cheaper on someone's lawn. Can't see that happening in Beverly Hills.

I could be obtuse and say it depends on what he meant by "rich", but I wont be. You dont have to be rich, but you do have to be above the poverty line.

Yes, emergency medical care is free (although hasslesome) and there are charitable programs that provide meager healthcare for the poor, but there's a huge gap of people who simply dont have the money to get helped.

Beyond that, history aside, the word "shitstain" is a bit irrational isn't it?

I could be obtuse and say it depends on what he meant by "rich", but I wont be. You dont have to be rich, but you do have to be above the poverty line.

Yes, emergency medical care is free (although hasslesome) and there are charitable programs that provide meager healthcare for the poor, but there's a huge gap of people who simply dont have the money to get helped.

Beyond that, history aside, the word "shitstain" is a bit irrational isn't it?

not when directed at one who pisses on veterans, no it is not. as I said, you don't know the history.

ANSWER THIS...

Perhaps I did give a bit much leeway.

The easy answer of course is that people HERE die because they can't afford medical help in the first place (around 18,000 every year). The hard answer is one you won't bother accepting anyway and that is the allegation that Canadians/Brits/et al. die while waiting for covered treatment has been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overblown and is patently untrue on a large scale. If it were true, the citizens of those countries would have demanded an end to their national coverage. It's a no-brainer.

How pathetic are we?

You mean it's up to our employers to take care of us, don't you? That is how it works for most people. Of course, if you lose your job and are sick, or if you move from one state to another and are self-employed, then good luck paying for your own care, because nobody will cover you. Last of all, employers will begin shifting that burden to their employees more and more. When people actually have to start paying for their own healthcare and realize how expensive it really is, you will see many more people supporting drastic changes.

Bingo. Why isn't that argument used more? First the same people bitch and moan that companies are going out of business, so let's blame Obama. But when they start going out of business BECAUSE OF the high cost of providing their employees insurance, that will be Obama's fault too. These people want to be taken care of by somebody else, but since they're conservatives, just not by the government. Unless it can all be provided for free, that is. But even that they will yammer that wanting something for free is a "liberal" mindset. Go figure.

I understand there are those who can't afford it. Chrissy is not one of them. My heart goes out to you.

Here is the thing that is so upsetting. If I went to work for an employer that offers insurance, I would be accepted for coverage. I might have to wait for 12 months before they would cover my pre-existing conditions. However, being self-employed, I am ostricized as are many of the self-employed or those who work for smaller companies that do not provide insurance. The insurance companies will deny coverage on a private policy for just about anything. Having asthma will disqualify you. Taking any medication regardless how insignificant will disqualify you.

But get this; this is how screwed up these companies are. I was with Anthem in Colorado. When I moved, I had to get a new policy in Ohio which I was denied, and which was through the same company. Wellpoint is the parent to all the Anthem companies throughout the country.

Now here is the laughable part. After not paying my premium for three months in Colorado, Anthem called me and said they would be willing to reinstate my old policy. All I had to do was send in one month's premium and I would be reinstated, even though they've been paying for my medical expenses over the last three years since I became sick. They'll reinstate me in Colorado but won't give me similar policy in Ohio? And it's the same company?

Oh well, so long as you keep your current job, you have nothing to fear. Just don't try to start your own business especially if you are or have been sick in the past, because you will find yourself without coverage or they will make it so expensive that most won't be able to afford it.

Forum List

Back