The British stationed themselves in the post office and read our mail

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
Doesn't matter, doesn't matter, doesn't matter. Nothing matters, nothing can be done. I quit watching the news, because nothing matters, nothing can be done. Hope is lost.

I was under the impression they already could, besides, if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

What a piece of shit bill. I'm surprised it was a democrat that proposed it though, it sounds like a typical republican idea. Oh well, one more reason why there's no diffence between the parties. They both hate your freedoms.

I'm reading the bill and I do not see where a warrant is not required.

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

From Section 3:
A governmental entity may require the disclosure by a provider of electronic communication service, remote computing service, or geolocation information service of the contents of a wire or electronic communication that is in electronic storage with or otherwise held or maintained by the provider if the governmental entity obtains a warrant issued and executed in accordance with the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure (or, in the case of a State court, issued using State warrant procedures) that is issued by a court of competent jurisdiction directing the disclosure.

Section 4 permits the government to delay telling the subject of the warrant their email has been searched in certain conditions:

(1) IN GENERAL- A governmental entity that is seeking a warrant under section 2703(a) may include in the application for the warrant a request for an order delaying the notification required under section 2703(a) for a period of not more than 90 days.
`(2) DETERMINATION- A court shall grant a request for delayed notification made under paragraph (1) if the court determines that there is reason to believe that notification of the existence of the warrant may result in--
`(A) endangering the life or physical safety of an individual;
`(B) flight from prosecution;
`(C) destruction of or tampering with evidence;
`(D) intimidation of potential witnesses;
`(E) otherwise seriously jeopardizing an investigation or unduly delaying a trial; or
`(F) endangering national security.

The OP link links to a hearing Leahy is supposedly having for this bill, but the link is for a hearing for H.R. 2471: Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

That bill has nothing to do with warrantless searches of electronic communications.

It annoys me to no end when a panicky article about our rights being violated does not specify the bill they are talking about. How fucking hard is it to give the HR or S number of the fucking bill?

Seriously. It suggests they are talking out of their ass and don't want you to find out for yourself.

But thankfully, you don't have to show ID when you vote or when you're Illegal and get pulled over by a cop

Welcome to America 2.0

"...the department of Justice had argued in court that warrantless tracking should be permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their, or at least their cell phones', previous locations."

"The Vermont Democrat said that in his previous career as a prosecutor he had to obtain search warrants to search someone's house. "I question whether it should be that much different if I'm going to search all your files" in electronic form..."

Senator renews pledge to update digital-privacy law | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

Ta-raffic!

But thankfully, you don't have to show ID when you vote or when you're Illegal and get pulled over by a cop

Welcome to America 2.0

Logical fallacy.

And as I have shown, the bill does require a warrant. CNET got it wrong.

Mr. LEAHY introduced the following bill

This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Electronic Communications Privacy Act Amendments Act of 2011’’.

Section 2702(a)(3) of title 18, United States Code,
is amended to read as follows:
‘‘(3) a provider of electronic communication
service, remote computing service, or geolocation in-
formation service to the public shall not knowingly
divulge to any governmental entity
the contents of
any communication described in section 2703(a), or
any record or other information pertaining to a sub-
scriber or customer of such provider or service.’’

IN GENERAL.—A governmental entity may
require the disclosure by a provider of electronic
communication service, remote computing service, or
geolocation information service of the contents of a
wire or electronic communication that is in electronic
storage with or otherwise held or maintained by the
provider if the governmental entity obtains a war-
rant i
ssued and executed in accordance with the
Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure (or, in the case
of a State court, issued using State warrant proce-
dures) that is issued by a court of competent juris-
diction directing the disclosure.

That is the bill as it stands on Leahy's own official Senate page.

On the Thomas page for this bill, there are no amendments shown: Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - S.1011 - All Congressional Actions - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Did they just invent this?

Revised bill highlights
✭ Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.
✭ Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.
✭ Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.
✭ Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.
✭ Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days."

Did they just invent this?

Revised bill highlights
✭ Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.
✭ Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.
✭ Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.
✭ Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.
✭ Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days."

They did not provide the evidence to this.

You saw how I provided links to the original bill and quoted from it?

They couldn't do the same?

I do not see this amendment they are talking about. It annoys the shit out of me when stories like this make the round and no evidence is provided. I've debunked more than my share of these kinds of stories. Most of them turn out to be total bullshit.

If this is the real deal, they need to prove it.

Liberals go around claiming conservatives want to spy on everyone because the Patriot Act spies on terrorists and their supporters, but in reality it has always been the liberals that spy on their enemies in the American public.

Forum List

Back