The breakup of the United Kingdom???

Lol, that is referring to ETHNIC NATIONALISM which is not the only kind of nationalism, dumbass.

Sure, in your delusional and revisionist world, you can excise from "nationalism" the parts you DON'T like (or maybe you do) and keep the parts you want.......Too childish for most sane people....But, do carry on.
IT isnt just my opinion, dumbfuck, it is a FACT of the PUBLIC DOMAIN and I even gave you a linky for your brainy.

Not what he did.
Do you really expect him to comprehend anything outside of his narrow set of known facts, things he thinks are facts and his very limited set of experiences in the world?

He cannot grasp that not all nationalism is Ethnic based nationalism.

That should tell you that he is barely literate, let alone unable to think outside of the scope of some old professors lectures.

Do you consider yourself a Patriot?

That's none of your fucking business...although my service during the Vietnam fiasco IS my business.

Go on, put a dozen US flags out on July 4th, and declare yourself a good "patriot"...because that is the level of your limited intelligence.
Translation; 'I know I am right because I am smarter than you.'

Yes, you are that simple minded.

Do you consider yourself a Patriot?

That's none of your fucking business...although my service during the Vietnam fiasco IS my business.

Go on, put a dozen US flags out on July 4th, and declare yourself a good "patriot"...because that is the level of your limited intelligence.

As Nationalism is connected to the thread topic, your opinion on Patriotism is relevant.

Most liberals like to put down the very idea of patriotism.

They LOVE that Mark Twain quote about Patriotism being the last refuge of the Scoundrel..

You've certainly attacked the very concept of nationalism.

Insulting my intelligence is not an answer.

Not what he did.
Do you really expect him to comprehend anything outside of his narrow set of known facts, things he thinks are facts and his very limited set of experiences in the world?

He cannot grasp that not all nationalism is Ethnic based nationalism.

That should tell you that he is barely literate, let alone unable to think outside of the scope of some old professors lectures.

No, I don't.

His style is pretty much what I have come to expect from lefties.

How do you define nationalism?

Put basically, isn't it a sense of pride, loyalty, or duty to your nation? There is no need to respect other nations in nationalism, and in fact, one would probably put their own nation above all others as a nationalist.

:dunno:
Nationalism is far more than just a sentimental affection for the place one grew up.

Nationalism is a belief that the natural preference for people to form political states that group ethnicities of common language, or history or political ties is a far preferable basis for drawing national boundaries than simple ruling class preferences or those of the merchant class.

For example, an Austrian nationalist in the old pre-WW1 Austrian Empire would assert that the collection of ethnicities were much better off in the larger commonwealth of the Austrian empire and that its borders defined a collection of ethnicities whose common ties of opposition to Russian and Ottoman imperial ambitions, Catholicism, Hapsburg monarchy and western culture far outweighed the simplistic ethnic nationalities of the pan slavic racists that were at work to break them up and later validated these concerns with their massacres in recent Balkan wars and ethnic cleansing campaigns.

Nationalists can be Civic Nationalists.

Nationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Civic nationalism (also known as liberal nationalism) defines the nation as an association of people who identify themselves as belonging to the nation, who have equal and shared political rights, and allegiance to similar political procedures.[40] According to the principles of civic nationalism, the nation is not based on common ethnic ancestry, but is a political entity whose core identity is not ethnicity. This civic concept of nationalism is exemplified by Ernest Renan in his lecture in 1882 "What is a Nation?", where he defined the nation as a "daily referendum" (frequently translated "daily plebiscite") dependent on the will of its people to continue living together.[40]

Civic nationalism is a kind of non-xenophobic nationalism that is claimed to be compatible with liberal values of freedom, tolerance, equality, and individual rights.[41][42][43] Ernest Renan[44] and John Stuart Mill[45] are often thought to be early liberal nationalists. Liberal nationalists often defend the value of national identity by saying that individuals need a national identity in order to lead meaningful, autonomous lives,[46][47] and that liberal democratic polities need national identity in order to function properly.[48][49]

Civic nationalism lies within the traditions of rationalism and liberalism, but as a form of nationalism it is contrasted with ethnic nationalism. Membership of the civic nation is considered voluntary, as inErnest Renan's "daily referendum" formulation in What is a Nation? Civic-national ideals influenced the development of representative democracy in countries such as the United States and France(see the United States Declaration of Independence of 1776, and the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen of 1789).

And there are several other kinds of Nationalism aside from Civic and Ethnic nationalism, leftwing nationalism, religious nationalism, territorial and simplistic anticolonial nationalism.

That's all fine. However, you said this, "A nationalist respects the differences of various nations". I don't see how that fits into the definition of nationalism you have provided. There is no need for someone to respect the differences of various nations to be a nationalist.

Put basically, isn't it a sense of pride, loyalty, or duty to your nation? There is no need to respect other nations in nationalism, and in fact, one would probably put their own nation above all others as a nationalist.

Nationalism is far more than just a sentimental affection for the place one grew up.

Nationalism is a belief that the natural preference for people to form political states that group ethnicities of common language, or history or political ties is a far preferable basis for drawing national boundaries than simple ruling class preferences or those of the merchant class.

For example, an Austrian nationalist in the old pre-WW1 Austrian Empire would assert that the collection of ethnicities were much better off in the larger commonwealth of the Austrian empire and that its borders defined a collection of ethnicities whose common ties of opposition to Russian and Ottoman imperial ambitions, Catholicism, Hapsburg monarchy and western culture far outweighed the simplistic ethnic nationalities of the pan slavic racists that were at work to break them up and later validated these concerns with their massacres in recent Balkan wars and ethnic cleansing campaigns.

Civic nationalism (also known as liberal nationalism) defines the nation as an association of people who identify themselves as belonging to the nation, who have equal and shared political rights, and allegiance to similar political procedures.[40] According to the principles of civic nationalism, the nation is not based on common ethnic ancestry, but is a political entity whose core identity is not ethnicity. This civic concept of nationalism is exemplified by Ernest Renan in his lecture in 1882 "What is a Nation?", where he defined the nation as a "daily referendum" (frequently translated "daily plebiscite") dependent on the will of its people to continue living together.[40]

Civic nationalism is a kind of non-xenophobic nationalism that is claimed to be compatible with liberal values of freedom, tolerance, equality, and individual rights.[41][42][43] Ernest Renan[44] and John Stuart Mill[45] are often thought to be early liberal nationalists. Liberal nationalists often defend the value of national identity by saying that individuals need a national identity in order to lead meaningful, autonomous lives,[46][47] and that liberal democratic polities need national identity in order to function properly.[48][49]

Civic nationalism lies within the traditions of rationalism and liberalism, but as a form of nationalism it is contrasted with ethnic nationalism. Membership of the civic nation is considered voluntary, as inErnest Renan's "daily referendum" formulation in What is a Nation? Civic-national ideals influenced the development of representative democracy in countries such as the United States and France(see the United States Declaration of Independence of 1776, and the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen of 1789).

And there are several other kinds of Nationalism aside from Civic and Ethnic nationalism, leftwing nationalism, religious nationalism, territorial and simplistic anticolonial nationalism.

That's all fine. However, you said this, "A nationalist respects the differences of various nations". I don't see how that fits into the definition of nationalism you have provided. There is no need for someone to respect the differences of various nations to be a nationalist.

There is also no need for a nationalist to NOT respect the differences of various nations.

There is also no need for a nationalist to NOT respect the differences of various nations.

Certainly. :)

IT isnt just my opinion, dumbfuck, it is a FACT of the PUBLIC DOMAIN and I even gave you a linky for your brainy.

Stay stupid...I really don't give a crap......This forum is NOT the venue to educate morons...Wallow in your shit.

Stay stupid...I really don't give a crap......This forum is NOT the venue to educate morons...Wallow in your shit.

Your "definition" of nationalism is a limited strawman designed to make you feel superior to those you disagree with.

Jim gave you a real definition of a version of nationalism that did not fit your pretend definition and you are having a meltdown.

As Nationalism is connected to the thread topic, your opinion on Patriotism is relevant.

They LOVE that Mark Twain quote about Patriotism being the last refuge of the Scoundrel..

I do NOT have to insult your "intelligence"....You do that on a daily basis.....

And if there's a grown up in your basement, ask him/her the difference between being a patriot and a nationalist.
I'm not here to educate morons (as I told your fellow idiot in an earlier post.)

Your "definition" of nationalism is a limited strawman designed to make you feel superior to those you disagree with.

Jim gave you a real definition of a version of nationalism that did not fit your pretend definition and you are having a meltdown.

That because it is a faulty "definition" Sane people know it, you right wing morons do not......

I do NOT have to insult your "intelligence"....You do that on a daily basis.....

And if there's a grown up in your basement, ask him/her the difference between being a patriot and a nationalist.
I'm not here to educate morons (as I told your fellow idiot in an earlier post.)

I did not claim that they were the same.

You did not answer my question, and all you have done is insult me some more.

The EU was a flawed concept that hopefully will be dying soon.

It was a creation of and for the INterenational Political Elite that was shoving a number of bad policies down the throats of citizens against their will.

NOw, at least the UK can tell them to fuck off.

In this case Nationalism is about the interests of the Citizens, and Transnationalism is anti-democratic and abou the interests of the political class.

That because it is a faulty "definition" Sane people know it, you right wing morons do not......

Fine. You want to post a better definition with a link?

You won't be able to find what you want, because your "definition" is a piece of self serving bullshit designed to serve the Lefty Anti-nationalism Ideology.

Forum List

Back