The Breaking News Forum is Now Available.

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
The concept for this Front Page Forum is outlined below.. The framework is up, but I expect a few bugs to be worked out. So be patient while we work on permissions and access issues.

At this moment, your threads will require Mod approval before appearing in the listings. It MIGHT take up to 30 minutes to actually post there. This of course, defeats the purpose of it being "Breaking News" :badgrin: -- but we are working with the Admins to remove that restriction...

It's an experiment. To keep the Front Page forum active and attractive. So be on your BEST "USMB behavior" for this to work..

Enjoy...

Moderation Staff is planning a restart of the "Op Ed" forum on the Home Page. This is NOT yet fully approved or implemented. We're asking Membership to comment at this time. The Front Page "Op Ed" was intended to attract potential members and visitors, but is declining in contributions and "freshness". Nothing worse than a Front Page forum where the last post is from weeks ago..

Got to credit Lucy Hamilton for asking about a "Breaking News" forum, because that's what prompted this experiment. We do fine with breaking news threads in their own relevant forums right now, but it's a convenient way to give us better recruitment "advertising" on the Front Page.

So here's the outline of the "experiment". Any Poster may choose to place a "Breaking News" story in that forum SUBJECT TO the rules provided below. You don't HAVE to place such threads in THAT forum. You can still put them in appropriate forums. If there's a thread in the Home Page forum on this news flash, we MAY consolidate threads from lower forums to the Front Page forum when a story breaks -- especially if they started in another Zone2 forum. Posters should put EXTRA effort into preparing the OP. Wait 5 minutes or whatever's necessary to get adequate details. Include as much as you can. Multiple Links or Pics PREFERRED. Rules for that forum will be as follows:

1) Zone2 Rules

2) OP must be about news no older than 24 hours when posted. News can be about any broad interest subject.

3) Story must be linked to at least one major news outlet, newspaper or periodical. Other secondary links encouraged.

4) Members should include the Breaking News: prefix in front of the Title. (Admin may do this automatically for us -- so check current usage.)

5) Moderation reserves the right to move and place in a more appropriate forum. OR to move brand new threads to this Front Page forum..

6) Keep the conversations on the news topic as details comes in. Serious derailments will result in closure. And try to NOT extend the conversations much past the point where it's no longer "breaking".

Should this experiment have side effects or bomb -- the Home Page forum will probably be removed and archived elsewhere on the site and the demolition team comes in. Oh -- and we will deny fully that Moderation or Lucy had ANYTHING to do with it..

Missing US Navy sailors found dead after collision off Japan

Sailors missing after the USS Fitzgerald collided with container ship off Japan have been found dead, the US Navy and Japanese media says.

The collision happened early on Saturday, and a search began for the seven missing sailors, as a helicopter evacuated three injured crew.

The US Navy said rescue workers found the bodies on Sunday after gaining access to damaged parts of the ship.

It said they will be taken to a Japanese hospital to be identified.

The incident took place some 56 nautical miles (104km) south-west of the Japanese port city of Yokosuka, at about 02:30 local time on Saturday (17:30 GMT Friday).

The Navy ship's starboard side was heavily damaged in the collision, but the vessel later managed to slowly return to its base in Yokosuka, with the assistance of US navy tug boats.

Missing US Navy sailors found dead after collision off Japan - BBC News

What is dying?

I am standing on the sea shore.
A ship at my side spreads her white
sails to the morning breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object
of beauty and I stand
and watch her until at last she
fades on the horizon.

Then someone at my side says
"There she has gone" -
gone where?
Gone from my sight - that is all.
She is just as large in the mast,
hull and spars as she was
when she left my side. The
diminished size and total loss
of sight is in me and not in her,
and just at that moment when
someone by my side says
"She's gone" others on a distant
shore take up
the glad shout -
"There she comes!"

Bishop Brent
Bishop of the Philippines
1862 - 1929

Eternal rest grant unto them, o' Lord.

Gre

Missing US Navy sailors found dead after collision off Japan

Sailors missing after the USS Fitzgerald collided with container ship off Japan have been found dead, the US Navy and Japanese media says.

The collision happened early on Saturday, and a search began for the seven missing sailors, as a helicopter evacuated three injured crew.

The US Navy said rescue workers found the bodies on Sunday after gaining access to damaged parts of the ship.

It said they will be taken to a Japanese hospital to be identified.

The incident took place some 56 nautical miles (104km) south-west of the Japanese port city of Yokosuka, at about 02:30 local time on Saturday (17:30 GMT Friday).

The Navy ship's starboard side was heavily damaged in the collision, but the vessel later managed to slowly return to its base in Yokosuka, with the assistance of US navy tug boats.

Missing US Navy sailors found dead after collision off Japan - BBC News

What is dying?

I am standing on the sea shore.
A ship at my side spreads her white
sails to the morning breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object
of beauty and I stand
and watch her until at last she
fades on the horizon.

Then someone at my side says
"There she has gone" -
gone where?
Gone from my sight - that is all.
She is just as large in the mast,
hull and spars as she was
when she left my side. The
diminished size and total loss
of sight is in me and not in her,
and just at that moment when
someone by my side says
"She's gone" others on a distant
shore take up
the glad shout -
"There she comes!"

Bishop Brent
Bishop of the Philippines
1862 - 1929

Eternal rest grant unto them, o' Lord.

Gre

Perfect.. Since there's no posting permissions there right now -- I'll move it in for for you. Got to be patient until we get the permissions fixed..

For the time being -- anyone wishing to have their threads appear in that Front Page breaking news forum --- place the OP HERE and Moderation will create a discussion thread there.

Gtopa -- just went where "no OP has gone before"... :laugh:

AyeCantSeeYou westwall Dont Taz Me Bro theDoctorisIn Kat Coyote WillHaftawaite

Admin just changed titles today but didn't open posting permissions for the forum change. Hopefully we can check this thread for submissions until it gets resolved. (simply checkmark the post -- move to new thread with new title in Breaking News)

Anyone wishing an OP placed in that forum @mention ME -- so that all of Staff isn't tormented by this. But hopefully we'll all help to get it started until the bugs are gone.. .

Trump supporters protest CNN headquarters in Atlanta. People are tired of Fake

News!

Antifa will not be showing, I'm sure.

Thanks. Me and others recommended such a forum a while back. Good to see somebody in admin took the suggestion seriously. Hope it works out.

Forum List

Back