The "Brat Ban" movement - I love it

Yes, like parents being intelligent and considerate enough to know not to bring very young children to restaurants. .

Are you saying you've never taken your young children to a restaurant?

I love kids and even the dumb loud noises they make but when we go to breakfast or dinner, kids are the last thing I want to listen to. They don't like being seated for an hour or more, leave them with grandma or someone they like and and someone who will feed them.

Ok?

Of course I feel the same way about keeping smokers out of enclosed spaces too.

The article isn't decribing banning BRATS, it is describing banning ALL CHIDLREN.

Big difference.

Umm in most areas of america brats describes most children.

Parents are too lazy to parent and children and parents are taught by the TV that children are supposed to be brats.

You know, I just don't get how parents are wrong to expect the most strict guidelines to be followed during mealtime at the family table. I grew up understanding the high expectations of my great grandfather and ALL of US obeyed him, even and especially the adult women. In the earliest years of my children's lives, they listened much better than they do now, of course, though, they are also nearing their teen years. I understand the concerns and issues that brought about the bill, I sincerely do, but as a parent I have encountered some of the most difficult obstacles in parenting. I used to pinch my children in church if they were overly distracting or made any noise... I used to really come down hard on them if they bounced in the pews and jabber jawed around with one another. It didn't seem to matter I was raised in a way that I admire and love beyond words, *I* as their parent have been corrected by several people who hate and despise the ways they were disciplined growing up and maturing into adulthood and yet assume they have the answers to correct all of the parents within our world today. THAT is what is most upsetting to me as a parent. I NEED my children to obey and respect our laws, I work through the things taught by the bible because to me, that is my heart, my love. I don't want to manipulate or control my children's every move and/or thought, but they must be taught they are going to be held accountable and they are responsible for themselves more than anyone else is.

Bill5, this is an excellent topic, but every angle of parenting issues may need to be better understood before parental bashing become so readily welcome.

I remember my daughter's one attempted tantrum. She was two. She spent a few days with a friend while my mother was in intensive care, and when she got home, she tried to tantrum just like their little one. I picked her up by by the cross strap of her coveralls, swung her up, bounced her off her feet and said "WE DON'T DO THAT". She stopped, mid-shriek.

Now, I have known parents of kids on the spectrum, and that wouldn't work for them. Heck, some kids you can spank until your hand changes colors and they'll still do what they want to do. I was one of those kids you just had to look at, and I'd burst into tears.

Parenting isn't easy.
Well said on all counts. Sadly, many parents out there neither know nor care what works in terms of teaching a child to behave.

But it isn't just "bad" kids that are being addressed here; in fact it's much more bad parents. If you go to the very youngest, even down to toddlers and all, they are bound to cut loose because that's simply all they know how to do to get someone's attention sometimes. That's why it makes no sense to take them to restaurants/etc.

Thanks to PTSD, I have an exaggerated startle reflex. One kid making like an air raid siren is enough to trigger me, so I do get Bill's point. And I LOVE kids. Infants, babies, toddlers, on up. But I don't appreciate it when somebody shows up with the equivalent of a circus, and refuses to parent effectively.
Exactly. I love kids too. In fact I've coached little league and even tutored elementary school kids for a bit. But I have no patience for poor behavior. The sad part is it's the parents' fault, but the kids pay for it.

(PS: "PTSD?" ?? Parent That's a Sh*thead Disorder?)

Last edited:
Yes, like parents being intelligent and considerate enough to know not to bring very young children to restaurants. .

Yes. Or to be more precise, I have never taken my young children to a restaurant (or libary, or theater, or....etc) until they were old enough to know how to behave in public and were taught - in fact mandated - to do so. ie if they didn't there'd be hell to pay. :cool: Turns out that when you explain AND enforce rules effectively (as BD pointed out, this varies from child to child) it's amazing the results you get. And lo and behold they are very well-behaved children. Not perfect, nor am I, but a little common sense and backbone goes a long way. Sadly, both of those qualities are increasingly hated and utterly absent in parents today.

The article isn't decribing banning BRATS, it is describing banning ALL CHIDLREN.

Big difference.
No, it is describing banning children 6 and under. Big difference. As I stated above, this is really more about addressing jerkface parents, not jerkface kids. "Brat Ban" is just a nickname-y thing.

Face it, folks, there really are places where it is inappropriate to take children under 6 (or misbehaving children of any age). A nice restaurant, where people are paying good money for a nice meal and an enjoyable evening, for example. Take the kids to McDonalds, where chaos is the norm and ambiance is not for sale. An evening movie showing... take the kiddies to an afternoon matinee. You can't take kids into a sports bar, for heaven sakes. Think age appropriate, that's all.

I don't really understand the uproar.

I remember my daughter's one attempted tantrum. She was two. She spent a few days with a friend while my mother was in intensive care, and when she got home, she tried to tantrum just like their little one. I picked her up by by the cross strap of her coveralls, swung her up, bounced her off her feet and said "WE DON'T DO THAT". She stopped, mid-shriek.

Now, I have known parents of kids on the spectrum, and that wouldn't work for them. Heck, some kids you can spank until your hand changes colors and they'll still do what they want to do. I was one of those kids you just had to look at, and I'd burst into tears.

Parenting isn't easy.
Well said on all counts. Sadly, many parents out there neither know nor care what works in terms of teaching a child to behave.

But it isn't just "bad" kids that are being addressed here; in fact it's much more bad parents. If you go to the very youngest, even down to toddlers and all, they are bound to cut loose because that's simply all they know how to do to get someone's attention sometimes. That's why it makes no sense to take them to restaurants/etc.

Thanks to PTSD, I have an exaggerated startle reflex. One kid making like an air raid siren is enough to trigger me, so I do get Bill's point. And I LOVE kids. Infants, babies, toddlers, on up. But I don't appreciate it when somebody shows up with the equivalent of a circus, and refuses to parent effectively.
Exactly. I love kids too. In fact I've coached little league and even tutored elementary school kids for a bit. But I have no patience for poor behavior. The sad part is it's the parents' fault, but the kids pay for it.

(PS: "PTSD?" ?? Parent That's a Sh*thead Disorder?)

Post-traumatic stress disorder.

FINALLY. It's sad that it's come to this, but since discipline has become so strongly avoided, even abhorred, by so many morons masquerading as parents who are as spineless as they are brain-dead, this kind of thing is desperately needed and way overdue.

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading - Parenting on Shine

:clap2:

I am so for this. I am SICK of parents who are oblivious of their children.

Whatever happened to babysitters?

As long as it's the businesses making the decisions and not the government I don't have a problem with it.

I was standing in line at the grocery store yesterday. In front of me was a four year old sitting in the cart while her dad was loading up the groceries. She was "eeeeeeeeing" at an uber loud and high-pitched tone. She would go as long as she could, stop and catch her breath, then start all over again. The dad? Looked at her with zero reaction, zero comment, zero anything. The kid turned and looked at me and I quietly went "ssshhh". She shut up.

Parents who are afraid to say no to their kids ought to be slapped upside the head.

you are lucky that the parent didn't explode on you for ...:eek:... saying something to his kid.

Big difference.

And how do we identify those with a brat status to keep only them out?
As per usual we have to ban the entire class to avoid lawsuits, etc.

Personally, I love being around kids. Even the bratty ones can be entertaining. But I can totally understand that not all people share my affection for the young. Businesses must do what's best for their customers.

Agreed and agreed.

There is another perspective too. Say you want a night out from your own kid's, you spend good money on a good meal only to have it ruined by sitting too close to the family from Hell. It's just not right. For that and other reasons like it, I do ask to be moved.

First question.... do you enjoy going out to eat in a restaurant?

I have no problem with well behaved children in restaurants. I DO have a problem with the ones who will not stay in their seats..are having tantrums...crying... and oblivious parents.

When i go out to eat in a restaurant i am there to enjoy myself...just as the parents are. Inflicting your brats on others is not appropriate behavior for adults. Get a babysitter and leave them home.

OR...when they act up... parents should pick it up...and take it out of the restaurant and deal with it outside.

First question.... do you enjoy going out to eat in a restaurant?

I have no problem with well behaved children in restaurants. I DO have a problem with the ones who will not stay in their seats..are having tantrums...crying... and oblivious parents.

When i go out to eat in a restaurant i am there to enjoy myself...just as the parents are. Inflicting your brats on others is not appropriate behavior for adults. Get a babysitter and leave them home.

OR...when they act up... parents should pick it up...and take it out of the restaurant and deal with it outside.

...but by then it's too late; the damage is done. Not that I disagree w/anything you said at all, but this ban seeks to proactively address the problem, which is so needed. It's so logical I'm amazed it's actually happening.

Forum List

Back