The Book of Eli

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
It was a decent film. Some great fight scenes. The first fight scene alone is worth the price of admission. Mila Kunis was much better than I imagined she would be. Denzel was good, and I'm not a huge Denzel fan. But, of course, the best performance was Gary Oldman.

The story is pretty thin, though. There's not much substance to it, and very little progressive in between a lot of walking and fighting scenes. There's a nice twist at the end, but I think it could have been better.

Spoilers below!

I think it would have been much better if instead of Eli being blind and the book being written in Braille, if the book had been a digital copy on the iPod he was carrying around. The blind twist was hard to fathom, given the things Eli was able to do. Plus, it appears most of the people in that world can't read, so what good is reprinting the Bible? The digital copy would have made it easier to spread the gospel.

Furthermore, that book did not have nearly enough pages to be a printed Bible, much less a Bible printed in Braille! So unless the story was to imply that God was providing Eli with a different book of the Bible to memorize, it's hard to imagine how Eli was able to memorize the entire Bible from that book he was carrying.

End spoilers.

Looked at the spoilers since I don't plan on seeing the film in theaters, looks interesting enough.

Speaking of Mila Kunis, can't wait for her and Natalie in Black Swan. :lol:

I thought it was a good movie. Certainly not your typical stupid action flick.
I was surprised a movie would address hatred against the Bible the way this movie did.

SPOILERS:

I think it would have been much better if instead of Eli being blind and the book being written in Braille, if the book had been a digital copy on the iPod he was carrying around. The blind twist was hard to fathom, given the things Eli was able to do. Plus, it appears most of the people in that world can't read, so what good is reprinting the Bible? The digital copy would have made it easier to spread the gospel.

Furthermore, that book did not have nearly enough pages to be a printed Bible, much less a Bible printed in Braille! So unless the story was to imply that God was providing Eli with a different book of the Bible to memorize, it's hard to imagine how Eli was able to memorize the entire Bible from that book he was carrying.

I was thinking the same thing once Oldman got the book, that he had a digital copy or something.
As far as the Blind thing at the end....I took it as being God had given him sight for the duration of his journey(as well as the ability to defend himself), and when he completed the journey he lost his sight.

Forum List

Back