The Bloodthirsty Bard.

I now feel that murder is too violent an issue for high school'ers.

They should hold off on Shakespeare until college.

The Hobbit is better suited for high school'ers.

But not the Tolkien Trilogy though.

I guess this is what Mindful is also getting at.
It seems to me, murder is a necessary part of good vs evil stories.
Romeo and Juliet is the most dangerous of all the Shakespearian classics to high school'ers because a lot of them commit suicide especially the girls now.

So I would ban that one -- no talk of suicide in high school.

That's a valid point.

This could be interpreted to mean one encourages ignorance over understanding.

I'm not sure avoiding a topic like suicide is the way to go. Kids don't just up and kill themselves because they read Romeo and Juliet. These things ought to be discussed. If they aren't being talked about at home, school discussion take on even more importance.

A Midsummer's Dream (there's an allegory in that one) and The Tempest were my favourites. But we had Macbeth dumped on us. How were we to analyse the dark deep vagaries of Lady Macbeth's scheming character, when we'd hardly lived ourselves?
I see your point, but I think too many young people wind up very very surprised when they face the grown up world. I figure they ought to read both comedy and tragedy..

In my high school 2 kids suicide'ed.

The girl was despondent because her boyfriend dumped her for a cheerleader.

And the boy had a psychotic reaction from the dope.

Another boy was killed on his motorcycle in traffic. His parents should have given him a car instead.

I'm not sure avoiding a topic like suicide is the way to go. Kids don't just up and kill themselves because they read Romeo and Juliet. These things ought to be discussed. If they aren't being talked about at home, school discussion take on even more importance.

A Midsummer's Dream (there's an allegory in that one) and The Tempest were my favourites. But we had Macbeth dumped on us. How were we to analyse the dark deep vagaries of Lady Macbeth's scheming character, when we'd hardly lived ourselves?
I see your point, but I think too many young people wind up very very surprised when they face the grown up world. I figure they ought to read both comedy and tragedy..

The Bible?

Romeo and Juliet is the most dangerous of all the Shakespearian classics to high school'ers because a lot of them commit suicide especially the girls now.

That's a valid point.

Children must be protected and guided not inundated with stress and tragedy.

Shakespeare was not writing for American high school'ers.

He was writing to impress the Queen and her court.

The Bible?
Also X rated.

I do not support brainwashing kids either as Catholics, Protestants, Eastern Orthodox, Muslims, or Jews.

Buddhism is fairly safe however.

That's a valid point.

You can interpret it any way you like.

That's where parenting and teaching comes in, to bridge that gap.

I think on the whole, we've failed miserably.

[/QUOTE]
Children must be protected and guided not inundated with stress and tragedy.

Shakespeare was not writing for American high school'ers.

[/QUOTE]

They would have to learn English first, then they would have to learn Elizabethan English. 'Highschoolers' don't understand Shakespeare (not that a whole lot of other do, either).

That's a valid point.

Such a gracious gift of liberty!

That's a valid point.

Such a gracious gift of liberty!

It's a function of the cerebellum. How our brains are wired.

Forum List

Back