The Bloodthirsty Bard.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
c0e9067ea101706b8e9bd7ef4555529d.jpg

Well Anthony was in a power struggle with Augustus and Cleopatra ended up sleeping around like any good queen.

Elizabeth 1st slept around too. Sir Francis Drake and Sir Walter Raleigh were two of her favorites.

Drake was older than she, while Raleigh was younger.

Romeo and Juliet is just a pretty Greek tragedy adapted to Elizabethan England.

In Greek tragedy, love does not conquer all.

For example, at the Trojan War, Achilles killed the Queen of the Amazons, and as she lie dying in his arms, they fell in love with each other.

The lessons of MacBeth and Hamlet are the same as Dostoevsky's "Crime And Punishment".

I never got around to reading Othello. I recall that he was black though.

In my Catholic high school this was censured.

there4eyeM is a fairly smart philosopher so I wonder what he/she thinks.
I? Think? there4eyeM?

American education frowns upon such activity.
I got a really good Catholic private school education complete with Catholic guilt and original sin as well.

His Eminence has agreed finally after 400 years that the Earth actually is NOT the center of the Universe. They have their own celestial observatory at the Vatican now.

And evolutionary theory is allowed and teaches that at some point God gave hominids a soul.

The most famous Catholic philosopher is San Tomas Aquinas. He is required reading. I actually happen to agree with Aquinas however so no worries there.

I remember being delighted by Shakespeare with all those successful stabbings and whatnot, after watching Wile E Coyote drop so many boulders for naught.

I now feel that murder is too violent an issue for high school'ers.

They should hold off on Shakespeare until college.

The Hobbit is better suited for high school'ers.

But not the Tolkien Trilogy though.

I guess this is what Mindful is also getting at.

there4eyeM is a fairly smart philosopher so I wonder what he/she thinks.
I? Think? there4eyeM?

American education frowns upon such activity.

I was quite impressed with American education, after some visits to schools there.
German education impressed me the most.

They test their kids and then send them off either to trade school (like my cousin over there), or intermediate liberal arts (where I attended for a year as an exchange student in 9th Grade), or high level classics including Greek (my uncle went there).

- Berufschule

- Oberealschule

- Gymnasium.

It seems to me, murder is a necessary part of good vs evil stories.

Romeo and Juliet is the most dangerous of all the Shakespearian classics to high school'ers because a lot of them commit suicide especially the girls now.

So I would ban that one -- no talk of suicide in high school.

Romeo and Juliet is the most dangerous of all the Shakespearian classics to high school'ers because a lot of them commit suicide especially the girls now.

So I would ban that one -- no talk of suicide in high school.

That's a valid point.

I'm not sure avoiding a topic like suicide is the way to go. Kids don't just up and kill themselves because they read Romeo and Juliet. These things ought to be discussed. If they aren't being talked about at home, school discussion take on even more importance.

I'm not sure avoiding a topic like suicide is the way to go. Kids don't just up and kill themselves because they read Romeo and Juliet. These things ought to be discussed. If they aren't being talked about at home, school discussion take on even more importance.

A Midsummer's Dream (there's an allegory in that one) and The Tempest were my favourites. But we had Macbeth dumped on us. How were we to analyse the dark deep vagaries of Lady Macbeth's scheming character, when we'd hardly lived ourselves?

Forum List

Back