The Blind Side

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
I could have put this thread in the Review Forum where it would have eventually become a Racial Thread. I also tried to research to see if there had already been a thread started about the Movie. Couldn't find it.

Anyway, I saw the movie today, and as cinema goes, I felt the movie was a wonderfully told story about real people in real situations. Its would be nice to have more movies like this one. Then I saw the 20/20 interviews tonight with the cast, as well as the real characters, and found two points particularly interesting:

1. Blacks are NOT flocking to movie theatres to see a film about Michael Oher, the protagognist who begins life in North Memphis Projects and ends up with a 5 year $13million contract to play Pro Football for the Baltimore Ravens.

The 20/20 reporter speculated that this was because the Black community felt a certain degree of discomfort seeing a White family adopt a Black kid. I don't get this:confused:

2. Michael Oher has bought a nice house, and a nice Humvee in Baltimore Suburbs. But there was absolutely no report about anything he has returned to The Community. Single at 23, I wouldn't expect him to adopt anyone, but I would expect just a one liner like, "Oher is actively visiting kids in the local children's hospital." NOTHING!!??:confused:

you better be careful Samson. I have noticed that you are starting to make sensible comments on several forums. and making observations about reality and drawing your own logical conclusions. I can personally attest that that sort of behaviour will only get you into trouble. better stop while (if?) you still can.

I saw it Christmas Eve. I really didn't want to go, I didn't think I would like it that much but it turned out to be a great movie. I could even stand Sandra Bullock in it. In fact, she did a really good job.

Its was your typical corny movie about the white man saving the black man. Maybe black people feel like they have seen this story too many times and are ready for something different.

Most people are distracted by all the chaos surrounding the holidays. I also think its possible that this movie really didn't have a target audience. I haven't seen it advertised on any popular black media outlets. The only movie I can say has been getting peoples attention around this time of year is Avatar.

Secondly just because this mans charity goes unrecognized in a 60 minutes interview doesn't mean he isn't involved or would not be partaking in any such activities in the future. The guy just got signed for Chrissake.

Most people are distracted by all the chaos surrounding the holidays. I also think its possible that this movie really didn't have a target audience. I haven't seen it advertised on any popular black media outlets. The only movie I can say has been getting peoples attention around this time of year is Avatar.

Secondly just because this mans charity goes unrecognized in a 60 minutes interview doesn't mean he isn't involved or would not be partaking in any such activities in the future. The guy just got signed for Chrissake.

But he had time for the 20/20 interview.....:eusa_whistle:

Yes, in a *supporting role* for his ADOPTIVE FAMILY who were the actual subjects of the 20/10 special report.

AND.....he DID say that one day he would "like to give back all that I've been given" or something along those lines, and then a great big gentle giant grin and a closeup of him.

Maybe you were out of the room or something and missed that?

You should check out the link I posted on the third post!:lol:

Yes, in a *supporting role* for his ADOPTIVE FAMILY who were the actual subjects of the 20/10 special report.

AND.....he DID say that one day he would "like to give back all that I've been given" or something along those lines, and then a great big gentle giant grin and a closeup of him.

Maybe you were out of the room or something and missed that?

The 20/20 report included interviews with Oher and the adoptive family AND another white family and another black highschool football player in Memphis. Some of the interview with Oher was done in his Expansive (including shuffleboard) Baltimore home, as well as his Humvee.

I'm certain you are correct in your quote, although I don't recall it as much as the portrayal of how wealthy Oher was ($13 million for a 5 year contract with the Ravens). My point is that NOTHING in the report demonstrated he had done anything to return even a fraction of the good fortune he had received. I don't blame Oher as much as I do 20/20 for this omission. They could have easily added footage, or some note of the information at Louissa's linky;
You should check out the link I posted on the third post!:lol:

I did.

Michael Oher, Ole Miss
Brian Orakpo, Texas
Jason Smith, Baylor
Matthew Stafford, Georgia
The nine players will begin their day with an appearance on CBS' "Early Show" before heading over to Central Park for the NFL Play 60 Youth Clinic. ...The players will then visit Mt. Sinai Children's Hospital

Why did 20/20 omit this? My guess was that the NFL Play 60 Youth Clinic and visit to MSCH wasn't as much about Oher's volunteerism as it was about some manditory-for-new-drafts publicity.

It really makes me feel great to think that all the races are going to get along, if we all just adopt a black kid who goes on to play pro football. Why can't we all just do that, for God's sake? It's like we're all just a bunch of damn redneck racists. But not me. I'm adopting my pro football-bound black kid TOMORROW at the pro football-bound black kid petting zoo. To-fucking-MORROW.

It really makes me feel great to think that all the races are going to get along, if we all just adopt a black kid who goes on to play pro football. Why can't we all just do that, for God's sake? It's like we're all just a bunch of damn redneck racists. But not me. I'm adopting my pro football-bound black kid TOMORROW at the pro football-bound black kid petting zoo. To-fucking-MORROW.

LOL....I can easily see your point: a political message was coming through....and I'd complained about the heavy-handed anti-military/tree-hugging themes of Avatar. I suppose our tolerance for whatever poltical theme the movie has depends on our preferences.

Billy, I suppose that any movie made before (1970?) would appeal to your preference for political themes that demonstrate that all non-whites are subservient to caucasions. This movie probably isn't for you.

You could adopt an south east Asian kid while your at it. People often overlook the benefits of raising your very own Bruce Lee/stunt double. Health insurance is actually cheaper if you keep the kid away from touching a vehicle before 21.

You could adopt an south east Asian kid while your at it. People often overlook the benefits of raising your very own Bruce Lee/stunt double. Health insurance is actually cheaper if you keep the kid away from touching a vehicle before 21.

Billy should also adopt a Joo.

Everyone needs a Lawyer, or a Doctor, or a Movie Producer in the family.

and you would be a glorified slave owner!

Maybe it would be most economical for Billy just to get married to a nice Black women who could bear him some nice "high-yella" slave-children.

You mean, like today's politically correct white liberal?

You could adopt an south east Asian kid while your at it.

What's funny is that there are THOUSANDS of poor black babies available for adoption in the U.S. But you almost NEVER see them adopted by yuppie whites. It's ALWAYS the Chinese baby girl or something similar.

Because they know full well that the black baby grows up to be trouble, while the Asian baby grows up to wear glasses, play cello and get into Brown.

You could adopt an south east Asian kid while your at it.

What's funny is that there are THOUSANDS of poor black babies available for adoption in the U.S. But you almost NEVER see them adopted by yuppie whites. It's ALWAYS the Chinese baby girl or something similar.

Because they know full well that the black baby grows up to be trouble, while the Asian baby grows up to wear glasses, play cello and get into Brown.

Do you ever support your idiocities with any substance at all?

I've seen plenty of white couples with black adoptees.

I don't see why everything has to be put into racial terms. I long for the day that skin color is seen as no different from eye color or hair color or a prominent nose or chin, but we will never get to that point so long as there are those who play the race card every chance they get and/or exploit racism for their own social or political purposes. Until we stop seeing black and white (or any other color) as separate groups, there will always be widespread racism.

While it is true that there are hundreds, probably thousands of white couples who would adopt any healthy infant of any color, placing infants in good homes should be simple, but it isn't. Here is an eye-opening article of the problems involved:

The Colors of Adoption: Black vs. White -

New Topics

Forum List

Back