The biggest opponents to Abortions,

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Tinktink, May 28, 2009.

1. Tinktink

Tinktink Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Are also the biggest opponents to what would cut down the need for abortions. Safe sex education, birthcontrol, and making the morning after pill easily accessable. So here is my question. If being pro life is so important, why not support ways that may lead to what your objective is?

Discuss.

2. caela

caela Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Just an honest question...where is it difficult to get the morning after pill? In my state (MI) I can walk up to any pharmacy counter and ask for it with no prescription and no questions asked. Granted you have to be at least 18 to do it but, hell, these days you have to be at least 18 to buy some COLD medications from a pharmacy.

As for the actual question asked...My own personal beliefs are pro-life. I am one of those people that believes that life begins at conception. A child may not be viable outside of his/her mother for a few more months but I don't think that makes him/her any less alive.

When it comes to the legal matter of abortion though I fall on the pro-choice side of the argument, not because I think there is ever a justification for abortion but, because I don't believe that I have the right to try and force my morality onto someone else. You can make anti-abortion laws until you're blue in the face but that won't stop women from seeking them out and instead of going and seeing a licensed medical professional they will be forced to resort to much more dangerous methods and we could lose two lives instead of one.

So, I am all for greater sexual education, access to bc, and teaching responsibility to teens/young adults so that hopefully they won't have to make that particular decision for themselves.

3. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    If you can't get the morning after pill, but you have access to birth control pills like these:

[​IMG]

...you can take 10 tabs now followed by 10 tabs 12 hours later.

That is equivalent to Plan B.

The morning after pill is not a fancy abortion medication. It is just estrogen and progesterone.

4. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    And SOME of the biggest opponents are to abortion are the biggest supporters for safe sex education and birth control. It's not that I'm pro-life, it's that I'm anti-ignorance. I think people who use abortions as a Plan B are ignorant because they were too irresponsible to take action with Plan A.

5. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Whatever gave you that strawman idea?

6. Tinktink

Tinktink Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Plan B isn't an abortion pill. That is the misconception. Fertilization doesn't happen immediate after sex, can take up to three days to happen. Plan B doesn't allow it to happen.

7. Tinktink

Tinktink Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't know what you mean by strawman.

8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    Where'd you get that from? I'm pro-life and am adamantly for birth control and safe sex education.

The two sides, pro-life and pro-choice, will never reach an understanding on this issue. But the one thing they can both agree on is that preventing pregnancy reduces abortions. And that's a good thing.

9. We Are They

We Are They BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    "The two sides, pro-life and pro-choice, will never reach an understanding on this issue."

I think that it would be more appropriate to call the 2 sides pro-choice and pro-no choice

10. Tinktink

Tinktink Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    From discussing this issue on other message boards. Many pro-lifers that I have debated this with didn't feel the same as the posters that responded here. How refreshing. I am pro choice. But would like to see a woman not even having to make that choice.