The biggest myth of campaign 2012

"How has Obama and his stimulus and temporary targeted tax breaks done?"

I hear this question repeated often by Republican pundits, but it is impossible to answer in fact. Many (if not most) economists suggest that it did a great deal of good by preventing job loss at the peak of the recession and possibly avoided a complete economic depression. It certainly reduced the unemployment rate somewhat--and, in fact, many economists suggest that the stimulus was too small.

It is worth noting, perhaps, that the recovery actually stalled after the 2010 elections brought a Republican majority of radical right wing extremists to House majority.

Very little has been said about that uncomfortable fact.

Yes. Cash for Clunkers prevented the next Great Depression! Heck, it probably prevented World War 3 and deadly flesh eating bacteria.

The truth is that "it would have been worse" is always the excuse for failed policies. Along with "we didnt spent enough" and "there was insufficient oversight."

temporary targeted tax breaks are failures both in theory and fact. They do not alter people's behavior, except to change the timing of decisions. People who were going to buy cars within the next 18 months were persuaded to buy one sooner. People who were going to hire someone anyway, weren't persuaded to do so because they could get 6 months worth of tax break, a break lessened because the red tape involved in claiming it wiped out any savings. And the result of all these is the worst economic recovery every, despite the most amount of money spent.

Not enough to matter. Same policies so we get same shit with very little difference in presidencies.

Nonsense.

One is pro same sex rights, one is against.
One is for the privatization of Medicare, one is against
One is Pro-Life, one is Pro-Choice
One is for tax cuts for the rich while raising taxes on everyone else, one is for taxing the rich higher while giving tax cuts to everyone else
One is respected by the international community, one is a joke
One would push for new economic policies, one would take us back to the policies of 2008.

The biggest MYTH in the 2012 election is that the candidates are very similar.

I hear this question repeated often by Republican pundits, but it is impossible to answer in fact. Many (if not most) economists suggest that it did a great deal of good by preventing job loss at the peak of the recession and possibly avoided a complete economic depression. It certainly reduced the unemployment rate somewhat--and, in fact, many economists suggest that the stimulus was too small.

It is worth noting, perhaps, that the recovery actually stalled after the 2010 elections brought a Republican majority of radical right wing extremists to House majority.

Yes. Cash for Clunkers prevented the next Great Depression! Heck, it probably prevented World War 3 and deadly flesh eating bacteria.

The truth is that "it would have been worse" is always the excuse for failed policies. Along with "we didnt spent enough" and "there was insufficient oversight."

temporary targeted tax breaks are failures both in theory and fact. They do not alter people's behavior, except to change the timing of decisions. People who were going to buy cars within the next 18 months were persuaded to buy one sooner. People who were going to hire someone anyway, weren't persuaded to do so because they could get 6 months worth of tax break, a break lessened because the red tape involved in claiming it wiped out any savings. And the result of all these is the worst economic recovery every, despite the most amount of money spent.

You're wrong.

I hired people on permanent that I would not have hired otherwise if not for the tax break. Normally, I would have brought those people on through a temp service instead. But because of the tax break, I was able to move them directly into my workforce and skip the temp service completely.

That being said, I know of at least two cases where people who were working for temp services were denied permanent jobs because the employer would not get a tax break for them because they had not been unemployed for six months. they were passed over in favor of people who would trigger the break.

So there were negatives as well as positives to that policy.

The biggest myth of the 2012 campaign? The idea that millionaire and billionaire Republican's are trying to "buy the Presidency" for rich Romney and pals and the right wing special interest verses the pure and well meaning Left wing defenders of the middle class. The truth? Millionaires and billionaires and self interested corrupt cronies abound, on both sides.

http://freebeacon.com/the-biggest-myth-of-2012/

Links and proof abound via the original link above. Below is just a taste...

And on and on and on the article goes (read more at your own leisure), from a plethora of union cronies and goons, Hollywood, utility giants and all the usual suspects. Rub elbows with the rich and famous and powerful in the Obama administration and collect your rewards be they jobs, government grants, White House access and all the rest.

From "hope and change" to "same as it ever was" at the speed of giant electronic money transfer to team Obama. What? You thought he was different?
Yes, it's a myth.......

One that's been pushed by Dems for many years to try to define the ideological differences between the two parties. But it seems to have been done in a much subtler manner, perhaps with the realization that just below the surface, it's much as you have stated. Underneath we're all pretty much alike but in the end we all have to work together for the betterment of everyone.

Never have I seen such ugly, blatant attempts as I've witnessed in the past four years with not just the lower echelon but with the president himself taking a machete to the heart of this country in his attempt to divide us and to force us onto a path where few want to go.

It's only been recently that I've come to realize that this is no longer the Democrat party I used to know While I realize both parties have gotten a bit off track in their understanding of what is required of them as servants of the people, there are still good people on both sides.

And I firmly believe we can cure ourselves of the disease that has overtaken us, apathy and complacency, and begin to right ourselves. Both sides. All sides.

We need to rid ourselves of the cancer that has afflicted us. That we allowed into our homes. Then and only then can we begin to heal ourselves.

Well put. More people ought to subscribe to the idea that the other side is "not evil, just wrong" in the general discourse. (granted that takes some of the fun away)
I look forward to a new beginning in 2013 as I'm positive R&R will win.

One thing I don't expect to hear is a continuation of the blame game that appeared to be the only answer our current inexperienced president had when questioned too closely about the then current state of reality [which, on second thought, hasn't really changed much].

It will be a most pleasant experience to have two men of true character compared to what we've got today.

Actually, the biggest myth is that Obama is even minimally qualified to be POTUS.

You're wrong.

I hired people on permanent that I would not have hired otherwise if not for the tax break. Normally, I would have brought those people on through a temp service instead. But because of the tax break, I was able to move them directly into my workforce and skip the temp service completely.

That being said, I know of at least two cases where people who were working for temp services were denied permanent jobs because the employer would not get a tax break for them because they had not been unemployed for six months. they were passed over in favor of people who would trigger the break.

I don't think trimming your bushes really qualifies as hiring anyone.

You're wrong.

I don't think trimming your bushes really qualifies as hiring anyone.

And I dont think providing someone with a 50+ k a year job with decent medical, dental and optical benefits and a week paid vacation is what youre thinking of either. But hey, you cant be bogged down by facts when you have so much rhetoric to spew can you?

Forum List

Back