The Biggest Mistake in History – 76 years Ago June 28th

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
screen%20shot%202015-06-28%20at%208.56.37%20am.png

With little German involvement, the principal architects — Britain's David Lloyd George, Italy's Vittorio Orlando, France's Georges Clemenceau, and America's Woodrow Wilson — reassigned Germany's borders and issued steep war reparations.

After which, the same countries set about realigning nations, assigning false and unrealistic borders, and changing the world to their view of things. The actions that today find many nations in flames of war and rebellions and the rise of terrorism.

I saw absolutely nothing about it in the Lame Street Press!

Read more: What it was like outside the room where World War I ended - Business Insider

The treaty of Versailles was not a peace treaty, it was a 20 year interruption on the Great European Civil War.

The treaty of Versailles was not a peace treaty, it was a 20 year interruption on the Great European Civil War.
Maybe... maybe not. No one knows for certain how events would be different had the V.T. not been written as it was.

You are correct, though - that it is what it effectively became.

The biggest mistake was in not occupying Germany itself, and demonstrating to the German people they were indeed defeated. This is the mistake Roosevelt was determined not to repeat. The Versailles Treaty in and of itself wasn't the problem, and neither were the war reparations any more steep than what the Germans themselves imposed on France in 1871, and hardly 'crushing'; the first half wasn't due to be paid off for 35 years, so that snivel is bogus; they paid hardly anything on it anyway even on that; the U.S. financed most of it for them.

You can blame Woodrow Wilson for his incompetence, mostly, as he kept making these secret, unilateral peace offers to Germany, and getting caught, causing mistrust and divisions among the Allies, which in turn led Britain and France to end the war too soon, in order to diminish U.S. influence on the peace terms in the aftermath.

With little German involvement, the principal architects — Britain's David Lloyd George, Italy's Vittorio Orlando, France's Georges Clemenceau, and America's Woodrow Wilson — reassigned Germany's borders and issued steep war reparations.

After which, the same countries set about realigning nations, assigning false and unrealistic borders, and changing the world to their view of things. The actions that today find many nations in flames of war and rebellions and the rise of terrorism.

Read more: What it was like outside the room where World War I ended - Business Insider

Illustrated well in a recent doc "Apocalypse: World War 1" I thought.

Perhaps in hindsight the biggest mistake was in the former allies not wanting to go with the French proposal to invade Russia in force and shut down the Revolution there in 1921-23.. That would have been the smart thing to do at that time. The French were right, too.

The lines were drawn so Germany would not have access to certain resources to re-militarize and power up (so to say), which is why Otto von Bismarck went to great lengths to secure all those territories in building the German Empire. Hitler fought in WWI and blamed the communist Russians and Jews for Germany losing. Once he found a home in the German Workers Party, he pretty much vowed to avenge Germany for the Versailles Treaty, to take back the land taken from Germany, and to punish those he felt were responsible for Germany's situation--and those he felt did not match the perfect Germanic volk description. The reparations were too steep and Germans were starving because they could not rebuild the country and pay reparations. The importance lesson from this, was after WWII, the Marshall Plan was implemented to help war torn countries rebuild. Stalin picked up Hitler's scepter and thus began the cold war stare off. The Truman Doctrine agreed to help any nation that was threatened by (Stalin) an outside force to keep that country from falling and stop the spread of communism. We still do that. We aid countries to keep them out of (Russia's) outside forces hands and to deter the spread of bullshit.
People with nothing to lose... have nothing to lose and will resort to horrendous acts, like Hitler did for revenge. This is counterinsurgency... boots on the ground, help rebuild and stabilize their government--what Bush did with Iraq, but it failed because it is an outdated ideology.
Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini did not hesitate to kill their own people for whatever reasons. They were the terrorists. Today's terrorists are nomadic and are not leaders of a power country. Leaders want to make money not stay in a perpetual war. Counterterrorism works best today because we have drones, and sneaky people. The point is to stop it before it gets out of hand or people get hurt. Go in, find the target, kill the target, get out, no boots on the ground--maybe later. We cannot say... we are going to war with X country.. we say we are at war with (name the trending current terrorist group--they are all the same but new packaging) and that group keeps moving around.
I'm not sure what you were hoping the lame street press to say when chances are they have no clue about what really took place or the detail of it, or the why's, or the lessons learned and applied to other things... I mean really.. you need a history major to write that article.

The lines were drawn so Germany would not have access to certain resources to re-militarize and power up (so to say), which is why Otto von Bismarck went to great lengths to secure all those territories in building the German Empire. Hitler fought in WWI and blamed the communist Russians and Jews for Germany losing. Once he found a home in the German Workers Party, he pretty much vowed to avenge Germany for the Versailles Treaty, to take back the land taken from Germany, and to punish those he felt were responsible for Germany's situation--and those he felt did not match the perfect Germanic volk description. The reparations were too steep and Germans were starving because they could not rebuild the country and pay reparations. The importance lesson from this, was after WWII, the Marshall Plan was implemented to help war torn countries rebuild. Stalin picked up Hitler's scepter and thus began the cold war stare off. The Truman Doctrine agreed to help any nation that was threatened by (Stalin) an outside force to keep that country from falling and stop the spread of communism. We still do that. We aid countries to keep them out of (Russia's) outside forces hands and to deter the spread of bullshit.
People with nothing to lose... have nothing to lose and will resort to horrendous acts, like Hitler did for revenge. This is counterinsurgency... boots on the ground, help rebuild and stabilize their government--what Bush did with Iraq, but it failed because it is an outdated ideology.
Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini did not hesitate to kill their own people for whatever reasons. They were the terrorists. Today's terrorists are nomadic and are not leaders of a power country. Leaders want to make money not stay in a perpetual war. Counterterrorism works best today because we have drones, and sneaky people. The point is to stop it before it gets out of hand or people get hurt. Go in, find the target, kill the target, get out, no boots on the ground--maybe later. We cannot say... we are going to war with X country.. we say we are at war with (name the trending current terrorist group--they are all the same but new packaging) and that group keeps moving around.
I'm not sure what you were hoping the lame street press to say when chances are they have no clue about what really took place or the detail of it, or the why's, or the lessons learned and applied to other things... I mean really.. you need a history major to write that article.[/QUOTE]

US history class is not History.
Maybe some day the US will open their archives, deliberately or not, and you will learn a lot.
Will be pretty unpleasant.

I'm not sure what you were hoping the lame street press to say when chances are they have no clue about what really took place or the detail of it, or the why's, or the lessons learned and applied to other things... I mean really.. you need a history major to write that article.

US history class is not History.
Maybe some day the US will open their archives, deliberately or not, and you will learn a lot.
Will be pretty unpleasant.[/QUOTE]
You dumbass. The Library of Congress has made all history documents and letters open to the public. I laugh that history class is not history. I look forward to telling my professor that tidbit when school starts back and ask what the hell they've been teaching us and making us do all that research. Surely, college is a hoax and only the ignorant sluts on political forums know "the truth."

[

You dumbass. The Library of Congress has made all history documents and letters open to the public. I laugh that history class is not history. I look forward to telling my professor that tidbit when school starts back and ask what the hell they've been teaching us and making us do all that research. Surely, college is a hoax and only the ignorant sluts on political forums know "the truth."

Oh, you are in college. Impressive.
Almost thought so.

The made you do research? Maybe they should make you use your brains by yourself.
The problem with people like you is: garbage in - garbage out.

You can't even understand written terms. I said US history class is not history. I'll explain you, why.
National history is always biased by means of current political conditions. And, if you believe this "Congress has made all history documents open to the public" gibberish, you are a blunt idiot.
You get to see exactly what you are meant to see.

Or, other way round.
We have here in Europe the old writings of Roman senators, historians and so on (Tacitus, Seneca, Caesar etc.), for example about what was then Gaul, or east of the Rhine the jungle of the barbarians.
You can find this in any library. Translated, if you don't speak Latin, which I assume.
This was Roman history. Can you possibly imagine, that the Gauls, slaughtered by the millions (documented) by Caesar, and the east Rhine barbarians had a slightly different view to that?

Get as old as I am, a reasonable jon that enables you to work a few ears on several continents (not as tourist) and get closer relations to educated people there (and don't be frustrated, this could possibly become awkward as US citizen, far fewer people than you think like you).
And learn.

Read Paris 1919 by Margaret Macmillan for an intimate analysis of the Peace Conference. The parallels to the Iranian Nuclear Agreement are obvious: In both cases, a self-absorbed academic President unwittingly built a fuse for the next war.

Forum List

Back