The biggest energy innovation of the decade

Skeptik

Astute observer
Oct 19, 2008
The late great Bear Flag Republic
This should be big news, even bigger than Michael Jackson's demise was a few weeks ago:

New Way to Tap Gas May Expand Global Supplies

OKLAHOMA CITY — A new technique that tapped previously inaccessible supplies of natural gas in the United States is spreading to the rest of the world, raising hopes of a huge expansion in global reserves of the cleanest fossil fuel.

Since there seems to be a lot of natural gas, why couldn't we maybe use it to run our cars?

We know it can be done.

CH4 is still a carbon producing fossil fuel. It just produces much less per unit of energy than does coal or petroleum products.

We now are developing solar cells that will be created through the same process as ink jet printing. And even the first generation will double the efficiency of the best silicon cells now available. Best of all, the active ingrediants cost about $10 a square meter. So we are looking at solar panels that can be manufactured for well under $0.25 a watt.

Beaverton firm will produce cheaper quantum dots | Oregon Business News - - OregonLive.com

And Eestor seems to be ready to market it's energy storage system.

EEStor to Super Charge Electric Bikes

We still haven’t seen exactly how secretive EEStor’s ambiguously named Electrical Energy Storage Unit (EESU) works, but the Cedar Park, Texas-based startup has been racking up the technology partners. Light Electric Vehicles Company (LightEVs) says it has signed an exclusive agreement with EEStor to use the EESU in two- and three-wheeled vehicles. This follows partnerships with military-industrial giant Lockheed Martin and electric car maker ZENN. EEStor is aiming to start commercial production of its EESUs sometime in 2009, though its not clear which partners will get first dibs.

According to the Eugene, Ore.-based LightEV’s website, it is working on electric propulsion systems for electric bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, and three-wheeled vehicles, which will be built in partnership with existing manufacturers and under its own brands. John Stephens, Executive Vice President, said in the release that LightEVs plans to use EEStor’s technology to make an electric bicycle with a 100 mile range and is considering developing a three-wheel, two-passenger electric vehicle with a range of up to 500 miles on a single charge and a top speed of 85 mph. Impressive sounding, but we’re still waiting for details on how the technology exactly works and performs.

LightEVs describes EEStor’s technology as a “multilayered barium titanate ceramic capacitor,” and the company has said its units are based on “ultra capacitor architecture.” EEStor expects its technology to provide 10 times the energy of lead-acid batteries at one tenth the weight and half the price.

EEStor signed an international rights agreement with military-industrial giant Lockheed Martin to integrate its EESUs into military applications. Meanwhile, Electric car maker ZENN Motor Cars invested $2.5 million in EEStor in 2007 for a 3.8 percent stake in the company, putting EEStor’s estimated equity valuation at the time at some $66 million. ZENN says it has the rights to use EEStor’s technology in new vehicles weighing up to 1,400 kilos, as well as for retrofits.

It would seem to me that the combinaton of these two technologies have far more potential than increased use of CH4.

CH4 is still a carbon producing fossil fuel. It just produces much less per unit of energy than does coal or petroleum products.

We now are developing solar cells that will be created through the same process as ink jet printing. And even the first generation will double the efficiency of the best silicon cells now available. Best of all, the active ingrediants cost about $10 a square meter. So we are looking at solar panels that can be manufactured for well under $0.25 a watt.

Beaverton firm will produce cheaper quantum dots | Oregon Business News - - OregonLive.com

And Eestor seems to be ready to market it's energy storage system.

EEStor to Super Charge Electric Bikes

We still haven’t seen exactly how secretive EEStor’s ambiguously named Electrical Energy Storage Unit (EESU) works, but the Cedar Park, Texas-based startup has been racking up the technology partners. Light Electric Vehicles Company (LightEVs) says it has signed an exclusive agreement with EEStor to use the EESU in two- and three-wheeled vehicles. This follows partnerships with military-industrial giant Lockheed Martin and electric car maker ZENN. EEStor is aiming to start commercial production of its EESUs sometime in 2009, though its not clear which partners will get first dibs.

According to the Eugene, Ore.-based LightEV’s website, it is working on electric propulsion systems for electric bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, and three-wheeled vehicles, which will be built in partnership with existing manufacturers and under its own brands. John Stephens, Executive Vice President, said in the release that LightEVs plans to use EEStor’s technology to make an electric bicycle with a 100 mile range and is considering developing a three-wheel, two-passenger electric vehicle with a range of up to 500 miles on a single charge and a top speed of 85 mph. Impressive sounding, but we’re still waiting for details on how the technology exactly works and performs.

LightEVs describes EEStor’s technology as a “multilayered barium titanate ceramic capacitor,” and the company has said its units are based on “ultra capacitor architecture.” EEStor expects its technology to provide 10 times the energy of lead-acid batteries at one tenth the weight and half the price.

EEStor signed an international rights agreement with military-industrial giant Lockheed Martin to integrate its EESUs into military applications. Meanwhile, Electric car maker ZENN Motor Cars invested $2.5 million in EEStor in 2007 for a 3.8 percent stake in the company, putting EEStor’s estimated equity valuation at the time at some $66 million. ZENN says it has the rights to use EEStor’s technology in new vehicles weighing up to 1,400 kilos, as well as for retrofits.

It would seem to me that the combinaton of these two technologies have far more potential than increased use of CH4.

Could be. It could also be that if we were to exploit all of the above, we might have a shot at energy independence.

If that is really a goal any more, or ever has been.

Solar cells for $10 a square meter? Wow! Now there's a technology with real potential.

For us Peed-ons, energy independence is very much a goal. For those that would lose monopoly rights as the citizens became producers on the grid, it is something to be feared.

Here the issue from the British Telegraph. The article says the USA has through this technique already cut its imports of liquified natural gas from Qatar to nill.
Energy crisis is postponed as new gas rescues the world - Telegraph

The US Energy Department expects shale to meet half of US gas demand within 20 years, if not earlier.

From Wikipedia:
Major oil shale deposits are located in China, which has an estimated total of 32 billion tonnes, of which 4.4 billion tonnes are technically exploitable and economically feasible; Thailand (18.7 billion tonnes), Kazakhstan (several deposits; major deposit at Kenderlyk Field with 4 billion tonnes), and Turkey (2.2 billion tonnes).[6][7][12] Smaller oil shale reserves have also been found in Assam ( India ), Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Myanmar, Armenia, and Mongolia.

Oil shale reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
This should be big news, even bigger than Michael Jackson's demise was a few weeks ago:

OKLAHOMA CITY — A new technique that tapped previously inaccessible supplies of natural gas in the United States is spreading to the rest of the world, raising hopes of a huge expansion in global reserves of the cleanest fossil fuel.

Since there seems to be a lot of natural gas, why couldn't we maybe use it to run our cars?

We know it can be done.
Our energy policy is based on the peak oil scenario.To be the last man standing.

The $10 per square meter was for the active ingrediants, the Qdots. However, the price for those may well drop well below that once major manufacturing starts. The deposition process can be done by ink jet technology, which equals super cheap. In fact, the creation of the panel itself with the protective cover, glass or plastic, looks to be the most expensive part of the process.

And, of course, installation for those that are not the do-it-yourself types. This would be the key for an electric vehicle market. For $5000 you supply power for you home and vehicles for the foreseeable future. And maybe even put a little on the grid for your neighbors and industry.

I sure wish they would get natural gas as an option for heating up here where I live....instead of oil, oil, oil, oil and a wee bit of Propane...

I sure wish they would get natural gas as an option for heating up here where I live....instead of oil, oil, oil, oil and a wee bit of Propane...

What's stopping you?

The original investment to covert?

there is no natural gas where I am....it is not an option....no pipelines I suppose??? my town does not even have dsl, the telephone lines are too antiquated....and of course, no cable company here either...it sucks in that manner, and right across the rivver or even in bucksport, they got dsl and some cable avail! I don;t think they have natural gas?

There is propane or liquid gas, but there was a huge strike and shortage a few years ago so the locals here recommend not going that route?

What's stopping you?

there is no natural gas where I am....it is not an option....no pipelines I suppose??? my town does not even have dsl, the telephone lines are too antiquated....and of course, no cable company here either...it sucks in that manner, and right across the rivver or even in bucksport, they got dsl and some cable avail! I don;t think they have natural gas?

There is propane or liquid gas, but there was a huge strike and shortage a few years ago so the locals here recommend not going that route?

You're still on dial up? Holy cow, your community is stuck in the 20th. century.

What's stopping you?

May I sugest Huges Net......A bit expensive for instal but it's GOT to be better than dial up.

We know it can be done.

And here I thought you were going to say "Pop Tarts."

Forum List

Back