The big question about life on other planets: 1000000000000000000000 planets in the universe

Actually, I tend to believe the reverse and that is at least at one point or another in the history of a planet very possible if it is possible.

However, odds are likely that it only lasts for a certain period of time, and rarely evolved much more than "pond scum" before going extinct.
Don’t act like humans have been around forever. Blink of an eye.

It really is amazing everything that had to happen for us to be here. Dinosaurs get wiped out. Moon gets put where it is.

And for it to last for 1 million years give or take? But even a million years is a blink of an eye.

This planet will have life on it long after humans go extinct. Unless we get off this rock and master the universe.

Exactly, and we have been seeing possible indicators on Mars for years.

However, this is a case that shows what happened to most of it did evolve. As of the three outer rocky planets (Venus, Earth, Mars), we live on the only one that still has an active core creating a magnetic field. There is ample evidence Mars once had liquid water, a sizeable atmosphere, and everything else needed for life. But at about the time that life on our planet was evolving past the single cell phase their core died and along with it eventually all life that might have evolved.

Other than possible extremophiles that live deep underground. That is likely the fact for what happens to "life" on most exoplanets. And it may have evolved on some of the moons in our solar system, especially on moons where they still have a core kept active not by the core itself but gravity stress from their parent planet. Life is probably very easy to form I believe, but you need something more to enable it to go from simple bacteria and since celled organisms to "life" as most recognize it. And odds are that is damned rare in the universe. We know for a fact it only exists in one place in our solar system, and has not been found yet anywhere else we have found planets.
True, but we have one small advantage, there: In our current snapshot of the universe, we can see stars of all ages. So we should find a basically overwhelming number of young planets around young stars that might resemble those in our solar system 4 billion years ago. Yes, it's optimistic. But, when you think about it, wouldn't that be a way to increase the likelihood of finding life on exoplanets? I mean even the simplest life. Even just single celled creatures.

As for other intelligent life? Ships passing in the night. Personally, I wouldn't bet on ever meeting any of them. The universe is very very big. Maybe an intelligent species in Andromeda (assuming one intelligent species per galaxy existing "simultaneously" , for a total of 100 billion+ intelligent species in the universe at any given time) sent us a message 2 million years ago after seeing strong biomarkers on our planet originating 2 million years before that, and we get it tomorrow.

So, we reply. 4 million years after they sent a message to us, they get a reply. And so on. We wait 4 million years to find out if they still exist 2 million years from now. Makes the brain hurt.

Last edited:
That’s thinking very small. There’s so much we don’t know. There’s probably life in europa. There was probably life on Mars at one time. Long before there was life on earth.

If any of that is true, life is probably surrounding every star. Maybe not at this very minute. Maybe 1 billion years ago. Maybe one billion years from now.

But to say you don’t think there is any life other than here in the entire universe, is pretty damn ignorant and small thinking.

The odds are there is lots. Jus because we can’t see it doesn’t mean shit.

Do you kno there may be another planet in our solar system? So far out beyond Pluto in the dark and we can’t see it. Way out at the edge of our solar system. And we don’t even know it.

The ignorance to suggest we are the only life. Stunning.
My opinion isn't based on ignorance any more than I need to resort to pejoratives to assert it. It's based on my firsthand, expert knowledge of the findings of abiogenetic research.

My opinion isn't based on ignorance any more than I need to resort to pejoratives to assert it. It's based on my firsthand, expert knowledge of the findings of abiogenetic research.
No, is thinking small and ignorant. The numbers suggest Youre wrong. Jus an ignorant stupid human on the 3rd rock from the sun.

All there has to be is one planet with water and it’s probably covered with tardigrades.

If you knew more you’d realize how ridiculous your conclusion is.

Expert knowledge and research? Like Carl Sagan?

Ah. So IF I eventually say something wrong, it will be wrong. That's deep, man.

8225db108f68edfc8ad24c2c2ae5e84d3f-20-stoner-canon.rvertical.w570.jpg
It's more like you are trying to imply more importance to the term singularity than it warrants.

It's based on my firsthand, expert knowledge of the findings of abiogenetic research.
Code for: "We can't make life in a lab!"

We can't make stars, either. We have never seen an electron. We can't make a volcano. Or a mountain. We can't make uranium in a lab. We have to dig for it. But we know that uranium did, indeed, form from lighter elements. And we know where and how, for the most part.

Abiogenesis is just that: the formation of life. No life, then life.

Star formation: no star, then star.

"Uranogenesis": once no uranium atom, then a uranium atom. Yes I made up the word.

Not much to argue, there. Either life formed, or it was always here. What is your proposal for how abiogenesis worked? Creationism? Okay, but you're still just attempting to explain abiogenesis by substituting divine magic for the letter "a", making it divine "biogenesis". You aren't denying that life appeared when and where there was once no life. You are saying exactly that.

Why do you propose a sudden, divine intervention (which would seem to indicate a need for a correction; apparently God can admit when He is wrong), here? Why can't God's plan from the beginning for the formation of life just be abiogenesis (so He built it right into the laws of the universe)? Surely you think God is capable of such a thing, no?

Last edited:
And most stars are binary.
True. Which helps our search. Why is that?

Because there is still an absolutely overwhelming number of stars that are not binary stars. So we can cut out half of the systems in one cut and still have a basically unmanageable amount of science to do.

All there has to be is one planet with water and it’s probably covered with tardigrades.

If you knew more you’d realize how ridiculous your conclusion is.

Expert knowledge and research? Like Carl Sagan?
Carl Sagan was not an expert on abiogenetic research.

Code for: "We can't make life in a lab!"

We can't make stars, either. We have never seen an electron. We can't make a volcano. Or a mountain. We can't make uranium in a lab. We have to dig for it. But we know that uranium did, indeed, form from lighter elements. And we know where and how, for the most part.

Abiogenesis is just that: the formation of life. No life, then life.

Star formation: no star, then star.

Not much to argue, there. Either life formed, or it was always here. What is your proposal for how abiogenesis worked? Creationism? Okay, but you're still just attempting to explain abiogenesis. You aren't denying that life appeared when and where there was once no life. You are saying exactly that.
God could have poofed life into existence. One minute no humans the next, Adam and Eve. Why didn’t god just poor an entire tribe into existence rather than make Adam and eves kids fuck each other?

Don’t act like humans have been around forever. Blink of an eye.

It really is amazing everything that had to happen for us to be here. Dinosaurs get wiped out. Moon gets put where it is.

Where did I say humans? Nowhere, actually. But we know the timeline of life, and it took about 2-3 billion years for life to go from single cells to more complex multi-cellular life. And I doubt most planets had that long.

True, but we have one small advantage, there: In our current snapshot of the universe, we can see stars of all ages. So we should find a basically overwhelming number of young planets around young stars that might resemble those in our solar system 4 billion years ago.

Oh, it is much more than even that. Because most models only have the cores of a "standard planet" lasting from 2-3 billion years before it solidifies. And once the core dies, the planet dies.

Why didn’t god just poor an entire tribe into existence rather than make Adam and eves kids fuck each other?
Apparently He did, if you ask an Apologist. It is the way around the incest question: God created other humans after he created Adam and Eve.

God "poofed" more humans into existence. But only some. Just enough. Naturally. The rest were born exactly as we would expect they were.

Last edited:
But we know the timeline of life, and it took about 2-3 billion years for life to go from single cells to more complex multi-cellular life.

RUBBISH. After the surface of the Earth sufficiently cooled and solidified, it took life here only about 200,000 years to emerge as prokaryotes, and only about another 1.5 billion years for eukaryotes, mitochondrial organelles and chloroplasts (the beginnings of multicellular, specialized cellular life) to emerge.

Oh, it is much more than even that. Because most models only have the cores of a "standard planet" lasting from 2-3 billion years before it solidifies. And once the core dies, the planet dies.
Right, and it appears that life formed on Earth "right away", when given the chance. It doesn't seem to need 3 billion years, or even 1 billion. We may be nailing it down to a window of 200 million years after the oceans formed.

So, even if our planet was one of the unfortunate ones that died at 1 billion years old, life would have already been around for 800 million years.

Also, our planet has a large core, proportionally. One explanation for this: Theia

Forum List

Back