"THE BIG ONE!"

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Austin Dillon's wild ride at Daytona last night (2:40am) coming across the finish line. This is what can happen when a car is turned backwards at 200mph. The catch-fence kept the car out of the crowd. The car (#3 Dale Earnhardt's number when he was killed at Daytona in 2001) was torn in half but Dillon came out of this with only a bruised tailbone and sore arm. :clap:

dilloncrash.jpg

NASCAR%20Daytona%20Auto%20R_Thom.jpg

wptv-daytona-crash-3_1436170946130_20878623_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

NASCAR%20Daytona%20Auto%20Racing%20(6)

NASCAR%20Daytona%20Auto%20Racing%20(5)

NASCAR%20Daytona%20Auto%20Racing%20(8)

Dizam!!! And he barely got hurt? That car obviously was built by a non diverse team of engineers.

• Banned
Dizam!!! And he barely got hurt? That car obviously was built by a non diverse team of engineers.

The drivers are inside a welded cage and have the "Hans" devise on both sides of their helmet to keep the head and neck from being twisted. He got hit again HARD after he came to a rest....imagine having your plane come down and land in a tree and just when you think it's over you fall the last ten feet. :lol: The design of the catch-fence is equally impressive...if the car had gone over or though it dozens of spectators would have been killed.

• Banned
You gotta give em credit for finishing a race in a really big way.

Nobody gained a place when it happened...they were already over the start/finish line and should all have been lifting......restricter-plate racing in all it's glory.

Oh, I don't think it was any of that. The guy blocking for the winner was served up a little tap on the bumper to spin him out. That's all.

Nobody gained a place when it happened...they were already over the start/finish line and should all have been lifting......restricter-plate racing in all it's glory.

Jeff Gordon, in the post-race interview, said they were all 'pushing' near the front at the end. A bad weld in A. Dillion's cage or a poorly built 'catch-fence' would have resulted in multiple deaths of fans, including driver Dillon. I called my wife out of the bedroom to watch the replay of the wreck as I was sure Dillon was dead, as 2/3rds of the car disentegrated when he went airborne and hit the fence at 190 m/p/h or over, with the fence almost dead stopping the car. Engine ended up on the track totally out of the car and to add insult, 'Bad Brad' hit what was left and spun 'em some more.
God was A. Dillons' co-pilot and I'm glad everything held up and it turned out okay. I didn't want to watch someone die on live TV on my big-screen in any kind of race, and still don't.
Everyone was scared shitless (whom cares about human life); even Jimmie Johnson said that he never saw a wreck like that. It left my hands shakin' watching it live, and I'm 61, driven stocks, and I can say, a total salute goes out to NASCAR and their engineers!!!

:salute::salute::salute:

Quite a finish last night. It was amazing no one was killed. NASCAR and engineering has come a long way.

Quite a finish last night. It was amazing no one was killed. NASCAR and engineering has come a long way.

In restrictor-plate racing, NASCAR needs to go back to 'push-drafting' (where the driver behind a car sets the bumper on the car in front and stays there), as opposed to 'bump-drafting' (where the driver behind bumps the car in front, then has to back off).
If last nights' race doesn't support that view, then nuthin' does.

In restrictor-plate racing, NASCAR needs to go back to 'push-drafting' (where the driver behind a car sets the bumper on the car in front and stays there), as opposed to 'bump-drafting' (where the driver behind bumps the car in front, then has to back off).

Like Gordon said yesterday, NASCAR inspection regiment in the last ten years outlaws most of the things the teams can do to gain speed and balance. This makes the cars so equal they can't separate themselves from the swarm and you get these massive pile-ups. I remember Carl Edwards climbing a fence upside down a few years back almost as bad as last night. I got busted up flat-tracking a Ducati RT and never went back...haybales head-first and then I hit the retaining wall....broke the frame and my pelvis and two vertebrae. I don't know how that kid will be able to climb back in his ride after last night.

Like Gordon said yesterday, NASCAR inspection regiment in the last ten years outlaws most of the things the teams can do to gain speed and balance. This makes the cars so equal they can't separate themselves from the swarm and you get these massive pile-ups. I remember Carl Edwards climbing a fence upside down a few years back almost as bad as last night. I got busted up flat-tracking a Ducati RT and never went back...haybales head-first and then I hit the retaining wall....broke the frame and my pelvis and two vertebrae. I don't know how that kid will be able to climb back in his ride after last night.

I'm sure the retaining wall you hit wasn't a 'safe wall'.

I'm sure the retaining wall you hit wasn't a 'safe wall'.

Hay bales and then brick wall.....My leathers were soaked in gasoline and the guy pulling the bike off me had a lit stogy in his mouth....I remember kicking at him so he'd stay away from me....I can still see that little red glow on the end of that ceegar. I settled for $500 from their insurance company because I was broke at the time and have had back trouble for 45 years from it.

Jeff Gordon, in the post-race interview, said they were all 'pushing' near the front at the end. A bad weld in A. Dillion's cage or a poorly built 'catch-fence' would have resulted in multiple deaths of fans, including driver Dillon. I called my wife out of the bedroom to watch the replay of the wreck as I was sure Dillon was dead, as 2/3rds of the car disentegrated when he went airborne and hit the fence at 190 m/p/h or over, with the fence almost dead stopping the car. Engine ended up on the track totally out of the car and to add insult, 'Bad Brad' hit what was left and spun 'em some more.
God was A. Dillons' co-pilot and I'm glad everything held up and it turned out okay. I didn't want to watch someone die on live TV on my big-screen in any kind of race, and still don't.
Everyone was scared shitless (whom cares about human life); even Jimmie Johnson said that he never saw a wreck like that. It left my hands shakin' watching it live, and I'm 61, driven stocks, and I can say, a total salute goes out to NASCAR and their engineers!!!

:salute::salute::salute:

Jeff Gordon said they were all pushing, but only one car made contact.

Forum List

Back