The Bible and Gay Relationships

KevinWestern

Hello
Mar 8, 2012
Chicago, IL
The Book of Leviticus lays out some pretty ridiculous rules for those who regard the Bible as the word of God.

My question is simple, is it justifiable and honest to cite verses from Leviticus as a tool to damn gay relationships, while at the same time totally disregard the other rules like "don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric"?

If you think this is OK, why?

My personal take on the issue is that "picking and choosing" the rules you want to strengthen your case, while disregarding others is dishonest and NON-justifiable.

Last edited:
The Book of Leviticus lays out some pretty ridiculous rules for those who regard the Bible as the word of God.

My question is simple, is it justifiable and honest to cite verses from Leviticus as a tool to damn gay relationships, while at the same time totally disregard the other rules like "don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric"?

My personal take on the issue is that "picking and choosing" the rules you want to strengthen your case, while disregarding others is dishonest and NON-justifiable.

the only thing(s) in the Bible I believe in are the 10 Commandments. Leviticus also has a bit in there about not eating blood. Which is why Jehovah Witnesses will not have blood transfusions. Because they think it is "eating it." It is not. Because it is not being digested through the digestive tract. IF they have black stools, the blood has been digested by way of a bleeding ulcer and THEN they are "eating blood." EVERY religion has something that backs up whatever it is they believe in.

If no one picked and chose we would only have one Jehovah based religion not hundreds of sects.
And strangely enough most every one of them is convinced that their way is the only correct way.

Christians are not using Leviticus.They use the New Testament.
They use Romans 1:26-27
Corinthians 1- 6 :9-10
Timothy 1- 1:9-10
and Revelation 21:8

All I know is that in my bible, right after the part about homosexual relations, is the part about not eating shell fish and things that crawl in the ocean.... so unless you avoid red lobster you better be shutting the heck up about gay marriage.

Also, if you gotta daughter, make sure you slay her if she talks back. Duh. In the Bible.

the only thing(s) in the Bible I believe in are the 10 Commandments. Leviticus also has a bit in there about not eating blood. Which is why Jehovah Witnesses will not have blood transfusions. Because they think it is "eating it." It is not. Because it is not being digested through the digestive tract. IF they have black stools, the blood has been digested by way of a bleeding ulcer and THEN they are "eating blood." EVERY religion has something that backs up whatever it is they believe in.

Very strange stuff!

And here's where the funny comes in: Timothy 1-6 11 "A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. "

The bible is full of funny. Not that I wouldn't like a little more quiet from the ladies.... but it's not a sin.

Many Christians "use" both. Many are not offended by gay Americans marrying either.

I think you'll need to cite the specific parts of those passages in full, because from what I understand there are only extremely vague references that can be argued either way (ie referring or not referring to homosexuality as we know it today). Nothing is clear cut.

If you're a Christ follower, I think there are things that Jesus made absolutely clear that one needed to do to get into the Kingdom of Heaven.

My take is that being gay or not being gay was not one of those things, and that the Biblical condemnation of gay relationships is more of a "man made" obsession vs a godly initiative (if you take the Bible as "God's word").

Last edited:
Where in the bible did Jesus speak against Homosexuality?

Jesus said;
Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Mat 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God did not make male and male nor female and female.
Jesus followed the old testament and quoted from it many times.

Jesus said;
Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Mat 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

How is this interpreted to be against gay humans?

Jesus said;

"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?" Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Morally speaking: Divorce (outside of a cold heart/unfaithfulness) = Gay

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"-Jesus
(Matthew 5.43-45 ESV)

Seems anti war, does it not?

From the New Testament: Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men... those who do such things deserve death."

Leviticus has two kinds of laws, moral laws and ritual laws. Violation of moral laws result in a penalty (such as compensation, banishment, or death). Violation of ritual law carries no penalty, but makes one unclean and requires a cleansing ritual (usually a small sacrifice). The prohibition of mixing fabrics is a ritual law. The New Testament declares "All things indeed are clean." With the sacrifice of Christ, the ritual law that made things ritually unclean has been made moot.

Homosexuals will always be perverted and society would be better off without them. Political Correctness, the law, and name calling does not change that... any more than Political Correctness, the law, and name calling can close the white-black SAT score gap.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"-Jesus
(Matthew 5.43-45 ESV)

Seems anti war, does it not?

It's the most obvious anti-war quote in the Bible, I have no idea how anyone could approve of wars and take the teachings of Jesus seriously at the same time.

Supporting a war and supporting Jesus don't go hand in hand, in my opinion.

From the New Testament: Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men... those who do such things deserve death."

Leviticus has two kinds of laws, moral laws and ritual laws. Violation of moral laws result in a penalty (such as compensation, banishment, or death). Violation of ritual law carries no penalty, but makes one unclean and requires a cleansing ritual (usually a small sacrifice). The prohibition of mixing fabrics is a ritual law. The New Testament declares "All things indeed are clean." With the sacrifice of Christ, the ritual law that made things ritually unclean has been made moot.

Homosexuals will always be perverted and society would be better off without them. Political Correctness, the law, and name calling does not change that... any more than Political Correctness, the law, and name calling can close the white-black SAT score gap.

This is ABSURD.

You are correct, sir. It is absurd. That is an absurd individual and his concepts are absurd. Sadly, they are shared by many.

Jesus said;

How in the world do you make those to point out gay relations? Those have nothing to do with the topic.

Forum List

Back